PDA

View Full Version : Ghost in the machine?

Digger_O'Dell
07-17-2015, 09:28 PM
Went out this past Wednesday to a few different places. One lakeside park in a small town didn't turn up much as I found it was mostly just maybe an inch of topsoil over landfill. I suspect there may have been homes on the site previously because of the type of rubble. I did manage to pull out a decorative brass tube from an old gas light which was a nice find.

Next place was the primary stop for the day-what was left of an old ghost town. History documents it was only inhabited from 1847 to 1850 by about 2000 Mormons who broke off the main Mormon sect to become Strangites. It was supposed to be the appointed "hole site" for the sect until they determined they could not afford the land prices and moved to an island in Lake Superior. There is a remaining building and a monument put up marking the area. What I didn't count on was how my machine reacted to the site! Even when held in the air, I was getting crazy signals all over the spectrum. Thinking it may be due to power lines along the road I moved far away, but even about 50 yards away nothing changed. Nothing I did made any difference. I have detected around power lines before and never had this happen. Really spooky, and needless to say it made detecting impossible. I was afraid my machine may have broken something, but once I left the site everything went back to normal.

Last place was a brief stop at an abandoned school building I found while driving. Very overgrown and the building was bricked up with a bit of old chain link fence around the front entry area. It also looked like someone had been using the area as their personal dump as there was a decrepit sailboat, an old motor home that was rotted and collapsing in, and some scattered auto parts rusting away in the weeds. Didn't find much, but I did get a few Lincolns and a wheatie out of it.

This "town" was never incorporated, and was never official. Basically disappeared in the 60's.

Someone's idea of a joke maybe? Guard dogs?

groundhog53946
07-18-2015, 09:05 AM
Very interesting bit of Wisconsin history. Never know that about the Mormon group. Cool stuff

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Digger_O'Dell
07-18-2015, 06:38 PM
Here's the wiki entry for the town:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voree,_Wisconsin