PDA

View Full Version : Gorgeous full gilt Silver NY Excelsior militia button

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-19-2015, 12:24 AM
Got out with T (https://www.facebook.com/todd.hiltz.9)odd to go look for some sites.we found one early in the morning and nabbed a few buttons.brutally humid couple hour hike looking for more but didn't find any more.finally at 3 pm Todd says lets go hit that site we were at awhile back and did well at.This time we both went all metal with no discrimination on our MXT's and dug any positive VDI's that were mixed in with all the iron around the cellar hole lip.nabbed a few more buttons and a sweet almost fully silver gilted early 1800's New York Militia " Excelsior " eagle button and what I think may be a pipe tobacco tamper? But thinking more like a curtain tie back

Bell-Two
07-19-2015, 02:48 PM
That is one of the most beautiful buttons I have ever seen! :shocked03::drool:

OxShoeDrew
07-19-2015, 02:58 PM
That is one of the most beautiful buttons I have ever seen! :shocked03::drool: I agree, that is a showstopper Dave!

Pacivilwarluke
07-19-2015, 05:25 PM
Holy cow!! Awesome button, WTG!!!

Ronandari
07-19-2015, 05:30 PM
That button is absolutely beautiful! :shocked03:

del
07-19-2015, 06:07 PM
:shocked03: what a great NY. militia button Dave :loveit: an ol partner an i got 3 just like that at one site , they can clean up extremely well when they still have their silver plating. nicely done

Skamaniac
07-20-2015, 09:07 AM
Those are some really nice finds. Terrific button!

MangoAve
07-20-2015, 09:31 AM
That's a great looking button, Dave. I didn't get to see the rest of the buttons in the other batch of pics. Good you got a few of those too but Guessing they didn't clean up so well as there aren't other pics of them. I find my all metal mode unusable. My machine has a third "all metal mode" that I am uncertain the manual states. I believe the all metal mode and program 4 are like pinpoint modes while the third one I sometimes use has a higher threshold and gives a VDI readout (of Ir1-Ir4). I find it only useful in finding the iron targets to see how close to a site I am. Even with the small/Med DD I use I find it hard to differentiate between a good target and the falsing off the iron edges. Props to you (or your machine).

The Rebel
07-20-2015, 10:17 AM
Beautiful button Dave! Yea, was out myself yesterday and man was it brutal! Can't wait for the fall.

Lodge Scent
07-20-2015, 04:10 PM
Not sure "gorgeous" is a good enough descriptor for that button. That tamper is a great find also.

Trooper Bri
07-20-2015, 06:04 PM
Nice to see the MXT back in action and sniffing out some great finds. That button is a beauty for sure.

GA1dad
07-20-2015, 07:23 PM
Outstanding!!!

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-20-2015, 08:28 PM
That's a great looking button, Dave. I didn't get to see the rest of the buttons in the other batch of pics. Good you got a few of those too but Guessing they didn't clean up so well as there aren't other pics of them. I find my all metal mode unusable. My machine has a third "all metal mode" that I am uncertain the manual states. I believe the all metal mode and program 4 are like pinpoint modes while the third one I sometimes use has a higher threshold and gives a VDI readout (of Ir1-Ir4). I find it only useful in finding the iron targets to see how close to a site I am. Even with the small/Med DD I use I find it hard to differentiate between a good target and the falsing off the iron edges. Props to you (or your machine).
thanks! the other buttons were nothing special just plain and one tombac

Bucknut
07-20-2015, 11:21 PM
That button is CRISP!

don in ny
07-21-2015, 07:29 AM
What an amazing Excelsior button! Great find!