PDA

View Full Version : Lack of finds participation. Some relics and a rattler.

MangoAve
07-22-2015, 09:14 AM
Yesterday I had to hit the dentist after work, but I threw all my supplies in the car so I could do a hunt afterward. Recently I found a spot #3 on the same road that is a 'cellar 'hole'. The house existed sometime up until the 2000s but it is gone now. I wish there was someway to research what they did at the place, because it was obviously a farm at one point in it's history. There are old trees lining the street and up near a small plateau there were things like a tractor axel and an old disc harrow. Even tho there wasn't much iron in the plot behind where the house used to be, and there seems to be a bunch of apple trees as if it was an orchard. Why a harrow if there weren't planted fields for crops.....?

I have to go back to this place when the weeds die down and give more room to swing. Somewhere out front I managed to get a 1955 Hubley Rodeo cap gun. Near the front yard I pulled up a plated spoon. It looks like a baby spoon. Too bad there doesn't seem to be any lettering to determine maker and date it. Somewhere near the maple tree out back I got what I thought was some sort of cap. Turns out it's a 50's vintage Stanhome tin ash tray. I did try to check in between the two properties, but the small pines and bush were a bit thick to swing much. Out within the brush I stumbled upon a rattlesnake. He noticed me and bolted, before I noticed him, but then he coiled up. I used my coil to provoke him a bit while I took a short video of him rattling. The short video is only 9 seconds so I'm not gonna put it on YouTube just to link it here. Here's the pics which some of the older members here might remember. Oh, then the storm came in and it poured like crazy. The hunt was cut short and that was it for the day. The aftermath sky was kinda nice with the moon visible in a multicolor sky.

Skamaniac
07-22-2015, 02:37 PM
That old cap gun had some real style to it! Cool finds.

del
07-22-2015, 10:25 PM
becareful of them snakes Jim , thats my worst fear when walking throught high ferns and brush.

MangoAve
07-23-2015, 06:41 AM
That old cap gun had some real style to it! Cool finds.

Thanks. It did surprise me a bit where I found it and for once a lot of detail on the gun was present. Seeing as most of the stuff I pulled up, even the bottle cap I didn't show, were not new items I think it might be a good place to go back to.

be careful of them snakes Jim , that's my worst fear when walking through high ferns and brush.

You wear long pants, don't you? Better yet, I thought you were more scared of bucks? Lol. There may be a few poisonous snake around here, like the rattler, but I don't see very many. This was the second rattler in my life I have come near. Whelp, I did take a pic from the video. Oh the wonders of WMP and a computer. Obvi to all the others on the forum, this is an eastern diamondback so it has a little different markings than those out in the desert. Now if I could only remember what the other pic I needed to take from a video was for...

I wouldn't worry too much about the snakes as long as you don't hear the rattle. Sure enough yesterday out front of my house there was a garter hiding in the flowers which it jumped and tried to slither away as fast as possible. This rattler bolted as soon as it saw me, but coiled up when it felt it was at a safe distance and could defend itself.

You can see my NEL coil at the bottom of the screen and all the poison ivy too. Just flirting with danger for a poisonous snake and poison ivy. And storm rolling in as that was what made me leave. Lol.

Bell-Two
07-23-2015, 07:27 AM
Gosh seeing that cap gun brings back memories.

Lodge Scent
07-24-2015, 09:15 PM
Very cool! Rattle snakes are another good reason not to wear full headphones when in their habitat. You want to be able to take advantage of that audible warning!

BTV Digger
07-25-2015, 08:53 PM
Glad I don't have to deal with those poisonous guys up here in VT. Don't miss the gators and moccasins from when I lived in SC and TX for one second!

John

Digger Don
07-25-2015, 11:11 PM
i would still be running. Hate snakes!!

MangoAve
07-27-2015, 06:54 AM
Glad I don't have to deal with those poisonous guys up here in VT.

Really? The eastern ones are mountainous fellas being in the rocky forests. I thought you would have a few up your way. I know they go up to SW Canadia.

Jeff and Don. Yeah, they are the leading cause of snake deaths in the US...but lucky the most species (therefore most of them) are AZ and TX. It says about them, the same I said. They are scared of humans but will get to a place where they can coil themselves and put auditory response and protect themselves. You can always take a large knife with ya....they are good eatin' :lol: