PDA

View Full Version : Monday hunt- pennies, first ring

Digger_O'Dell
07-22-2015, 06:50 PM
Hi all,
Got out to a new spot Monday afternoon for about an hour. This was an old park dating back to the mid 1800s that is now abutted to the county fair grounds. The fair grounds are off limits-I asked. But the park is fair game! Soon as I dropped the machine I found a penny. Found several more while sort of running a zigzag path across 2 of 3 very large park areas headed towards an old baseball backstop. No baseball diamond is evident anymore, but thought I might have more targets in that area. Mostly, I was just trying to get some idea what parts of the park were more active in the past and have a better chance of getting older items on a return trip.
Strangely, I didn't find too many pull tabs or pop tops, although some areas were loaded with nails and pieces of chicken wire. It was also odd that many of the newer pennies I dug up were often 6 to 8 inches deep! Once I estimated about where the first base line should have been, I started headed towards the backstop. About 50 feet out I picked up a signal that rang up like a pop top, but seemed too strong, and mostly stable from different angles. Not too unusual with a surface pop top, but with the lack of trash I was digging most everything. I dug a small plug and immediately saw a dull silver color and immediately thought it must be a ball of tin can or foil again, but once I pulled it up I realized it was WAY too heavy for trash. Knocked off the clump and realized it was my first ever ring!
After this, I headed towards the backstop and this is where I found what was left of some kind of round pin. a drawer pull, and even a 1944 D wheatie. (Just wish it were a steel '44 or copper '43!) So not bad for only an hour hunt!
Definitely going back soon!

Ring looks to me hand made-no stamps, and rough inside under stone area. Also looks to have been hit by the mower maybe?

groundhog53946
07-22-2015, 07:05 PM
Congrats on your first ring! Even damaged rings are cool, because there aren't as many out there as pennies! Lookin forward to go hunting with you.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Digger_O'Dell
07-22-2015, 08:59 PM
Thanks Groundhog! Look forward to having a partner, especially in the areas with tons of real estate to cover.
BTW, did the bleach test on the ring because of not having any stamps and verified it is silver. Weighs in at a big 15.2g!

GA1dad
07-23-2015, 12:09 PM
Sweet finds and great write up!!

Skamaniac
07-23-2015, 07:10 PM
That's a nice ring. Not bad for your first.

Digger Don
07-25-2015, 11:27 PM
The ring is awesome, Congrats

wisconsin digger
07-26-2015, 07:16 AM
That's about the equivalent of 10 silver rings I find. That is a nice ring. Great find WD