PDA

View Full Version : Back Home Today

z118
11-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Drove back home today from my excursion into New England to visit family and do some detecting.

It was a great trip. I scored three firsts - first 1/2 cent, first standing liberty quarter, and first walking liberty half. The 1/2 cent is also my new oldest find - 1804. I also wound up with a large cent (no date), a two cent piece (1864), 8 wheats, and some clad for a total of 79 coins worth $7.985.

The site that I hunted yesterday which gave up the half, large cent, and two cent piece did not give up anything this morning during a two hour hunt. The spot was a baseball field in a now empty manufacturing complex which was built on and around an old farm. I took some pics, I hope you like them. The first pic is a sign on the NY Thruway which just cracks me up.

All in all it was an amazing trip detecting wise. I can not imaging living in NE... it just seems like there are so many places to be hunted! I will certainly try to get back again sometime.

Happy hunting!

z118
11-11-2009, 07:50 PM
One more pic of a sweet old bottle I found, too bad it was broken.

I hope the extra pic is okay (over the limit of 6)...

bmattioli
11-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Nice finds you scored in New England. Glad you had some fun.. Your right, tons of opportunities around here and would have loved to meet you at the park you and Angel were hunting. Next time..

Bruce

angellionel
11-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Those are some very sweet finds Z! It's a trip you will always remember. thumbsup01

del
11-11-2009, 08:17 PM
congrats on a very successful excersion to our neck of the woods Z . give us a heads up on your next trip and i'll try my best to help ya find a newest old coin .

Dan

Snowy
11-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Nice! Looks like you had a good time.
Also looks like that field isn't used at all anymore.
Glad you made it home safely with some special memories of NE! :cheesysmile:

z118
11-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the comments all...

What do you all think of the well? Any guess on the age? It looks like the capped it with large granite slabs from the house when they tore it down. Has anyone ever had good luck finding things around a well? Seems like an obvious spot to check... curious to hear your thoughts.

Epi-hunter
11-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Great photos! That old baseball field is excellent! It looks like a fantastic opportunity.

I have found several old coins near wells at old homestead sites.

del
11-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the comments all...

What do you all think of the well? Any guess on the age? It looks like the capped it with large granite slabs from the house when they tore it down. Has anyone ever had good luck finding things around a well? Seems like an obvious spot to check... curious to hear your thoughts.

while the well could be quite older the red brick and cement make it look around the turn of the century ( but this could have been added later to just update or improve the well is all )the large granite slabs are usually used on a cellar foundation for supporting the house . always check around them wells good they are a center for activity .

Dan

OkieDigger
11-11-2009, 09:15 PM
You had a great trip! Thanks for sharing with us.

Bentfork
11-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Very nice Z man! That ballfield looks interesting. How old is it?

G.

z118
11-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Very nice Z man! That ballfield looks interesting. How old is it?

G.

That'a what's so cool about this site... In the early 80's they built this large manufacturing complex, included a HUGE main building, helipad, lots of parking, and tennis courts and baseball fields for the workers. The baseball field was built in the early 80's right over what was an old farm. So the old stuff I found I would guess was from the farm. There's a fair amount of wooded area behing the baseball fields where I took the pic of the well and wagon wheel. Lots of stone walls and an old bottle dump, but all broken that I could see. It's a neat site. I did not do any hunting in the woods or around the well. I have nefound respect for you celler hunters out there! I've been spoiled by fields myself. I have no idea how you deal with all the underbrush and debris.

z118
11-11-2009, 11:24 PM
congrats on a very successful excersion to our neck of the woods Z . give us a heads up on your next trip and i'll try my best to help ya find a newest old coin .

Dan

That would be sweet but man I don't know if I have what it takes to hunt those cellar holes! You guys have tenacity and patience I envy for sure.

Dave
11-12-2009, 01:34 AM
Very nice Z, By the looks of thing's. You had a great time. You found some really great finds and took some really good pictures. Congratulations again z-man!! thumbsup01

MNDigger
11-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Glad you had an incredible trip Z! Can't beat finding some firsts and your oldest coin to date! ;)

SeabeeRon
11-12-2009, 03:18 PM
What a great trip Z with super results!! :tongue: