PDA

View Full Version : Double Fugio Morning!

OxShoeDrew
07-28-2015, 09:17 AM
I thought yesterday's morning hunt was productive...but this morning was out of sight :yes:

Yesterday I found an IH, merc, few old wheats, buff, plated cross, small copper ring, some buttons, and the French Canadian summer continued with a modern Canadian cent and a French 5 centime. The centime came out as a black disc :shocked01:. I threw it in my pouch and scrubbed it in soap. Off came the grime and I saw a gold color....I freaked out....I ran it under my coil again hoping it was gold...it was not :(. No idea why it's so shiny. I hit it with a brass brush when I learned it wasn't worth anything and it shined up even more.

Today's site was apparently older as I found some very old buttons, an engraved drawer plate, and TWO FUGIOS!!! :happydance02:
Thanks for looking!

don in ny
07-28-2015, 09:26 AM
Alright, where are you? I'm 2 minutes from the CT line near Danbury. I'll be right over : ) Nice going on the Fugio's.

Tony Two-Cent
07-28-2015, 09:35 AM
So... twin Half Dimes weren't good enough for you, eh? You had to top that by finding twin Fugio Cents? :eyebrow:

You guys in New England are so spoiled! I am as green as that katydid with jealousy! :envious:

I would keel over from a heart attack if I ever found even one Fugio Cent! :yes:

:congrats:

OxShoeDrew
07-28-2015, 09:36 AM
Alright, where are you? I'm 2 minutes from the CT line near Danbury. I'll be right over : ) Nice going on the Fugio's.:lol: Thanks Don...I couldn't be further from you and still be in CT. I did go to school at Wesconn though so I know the area. Thanks again!

OxShoeDrew
07-28-2015, 09:38 AM
Thank you Tony! They were 20 feet from each other and have different patinas (if you can call that patina :lol:) so I guess they were dropped at different times.

Skamaniac
07-28-2015, 10:25 AM
What a week! I am unfamiliar with a fugio cent. Not too many lying around the Northwest I'm guessing.

Lodge Scent
07-28-2015, 10:33 AM
AWESOME digs there Drew. I love finding those Fugios !:congrats:

Bucknut
07-28-2015, 10:33 AM
What a great bunch of finds! 2 Fugios! Wow!

OxShoeDrew
07-28-2015, 11:26 AM
Thanks guys! They are cleaning up better than expected!

Restoring Your Finds
07-28-2015, 12:07 PM
The Fugios are gorgeous !! Congrats.
And er... I'll be in the car with don-in-ny !

OxShoeDrew
07-28-2015, 01:43 PM
Thanks Taltahull! You've been finding some slightly older coins this summer :lol:
Are you back from France now?

del
07-28-2015, 02:36 PM
Wow Drew , your in a very small selected group of people who have ever dug up multiple Fugio pennies in one hunt. I only know of two others , mega congrats my friend :perfect10: we should be able to attribute that obverse for you , very nice looking coin .

Dan

OxShoeDrew
07-28-2015, 02:45 PM
Thank you Dan :notworthy: I attribute it to Ben Franklin :lol:

del
07-28-2015, 03:08 PM
Thank you Dan :notworthy: I attribute it to Ben Franklyn :lol:

yes without him those finds wouldn't had happened :rofl:

Pacivilwarluke
07-28-2015, 03:58 PM
holy moly! That's just incredible! I mean, one would have me over the moon but two!?! Wow! They are cleaning up well too!! Congrats!!

Lodge Scent
07-28-2015, 07:40 PM
That IS cleaning up nicely Drew. So you got out 2 days in a row ? I am jealous. Don't you have some tutoring to do or something to keep you busy otherwise :envious:

Ok, I know Dan has had a multi Fugio day, who is the other ? One of the MXT brothers?

Bell-Two
07-28-2015, 08:35 PM
I am at loss for words to describe the wonderment of two Fugios in a lifetime let alone in one hunt! :shocked04::wow::congrats: :notworthy: :omg::perfect10: Maybe these will suffice!

del
07-28-2015, 10:32 PM
Ok, I know Dan has had a multi Fugio day, who is the other ? One of the MXT brothers?

Jeff , Angel and myself are the only two others that I know who have found multiple fugio pennies in one hunt.

Restoring Your Finds
07-29-2015, 03:15 AM
Thanks Taltahull! You've been finding some slightly older coins this summer :lol:
Are you back from France now?
Thanks OxShoeDrew. But I also LOVE Fugios. Can't help it. They're at the top of my bucket list.
Our flight back is on August 15th. ;)

MangoAve
07-29-2015, 08:10 AM
Hey, save some for me to find. Lol. Nice find, Drew. Feel lucky it's you getting the two fugio and me getting the two ox knobs, not the other way around. That 1898 coin is quite different. Lol.. it took me a few to figure out that in the holes are soap bubbles causing the rainbow effect. It looked like screws cut with a cutting wheel giving the heated effect.

BTV Digger
07-29-2015, 02:14 PM
Beautiful Fugios Drew! What a great set of hunts. I'm always amazed how many buttons you guys find down there in southern N.E. Your sites obviously have the potential to have a longer history than those in northern N.E. but it still makes me wonder. I'm lucky to find one or two buttons at the cellar holes up here, and believe me, I've hit quite a few.

John

OxShoeDrew
07-29-2015, 04:16 PM
Thank you Luke! I hope you get out this way soon!
Jeff, I have two things to do this summer...detect and get my daughter married. Tutoring is never on the radar :lol:
Jim, I was wondering if anyone was going to be confused by the rainbow :yes:.
I hope you get out again before coming home Taltahull.
Yeah Del, tell 'em just how many you found in one hunt :lol::envious:
Tony, I've found five of them in five years, so they must be relatively common in my area. :dontknow:
John, It's said we dig ten buttons for every copper in this area. I believe it.

Restoring Your Finds
07-29-2015, 05:24 PM
Tony, I've found five of them in five years, so they must be relatively common in my area. :dontknow:
John, It's said we dig ten buttons for every copper in this area. I believe it.

Speechless...

The Rebel
07-29-2015, 07:19 PM
:shocked05:AWESOME job Drew! They are in B-E-A-U-T-I-F-A-L condition! Your on an awesome streak!

Trooper Bri
07-29-2015, 10:01 PM
That's a fantastic pile of finds Drew! The twins are the icing on the cake. You and that machine are deadly!

don in ny
07-30-2015, 08:58 AM
Thanks guys! They are cleaning up better than expected!

Looks great! I want more pictures, front and back and maybe I can help attribute the variety. There are some rare Fugios.

OxShoeDrew
07-30-2015, 09:13 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind comments! Don, here it is...thanks!

Restoring Your Finds
07-30-2015, 10:46 AM
Beautiful !!

del
07-30-2015, 03:46 PM
I'm leaning to the Newman - 13 obverse on that fugio Drew !

OxShoeDrew
07-30-2015, 04:46 PM
Thanks Dan, that's so cool! What is it that you look for when determining a variety? What did you see in this coin to match with that one?

del
07-30-2015, 05:03 PM
Drew , I'm not 100% sure that is the variety yet .:embarrassed: I 'm hoping either of the Don's can share their expertise with us .

But some of the things to look at are where the cinquefoils are pointing , where the ornament (the little dash in between "Mind" and "Your") aligns up to the "I" in "Business" . where the "beads" along the base of the sundial align up to some of the letters below .

there are a couple of varieties that are very close and with the wear on yours it makes it challenging , because the revers isn't going to help out a lot .

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-02-2015, 10:43 AM
awesome hunt for sure! wowza~! hey wait a second! I had a double fugio day!:yahoo:
http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?13744-4-COPPER-DAY-*2-FUGIOS-S-CT-amp-LARGE-CENT-amp-QUITE-A-FEW-BUTTONS

OxShoeDrew
08-02-2015, 10:59 AM
Thanks Dan....I really like the color on that one.

awesome hunt for sure! wowza~! hey wait a second! I had a double fugio day!:yahoo:
http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?13744-4-COPPER-DAY-*2-FUGIOS-S-CT-amp-LARGE-CENT-amp-QUITE-A-FEW-BUTTONSThanks Dave! We should start a secret society :lol:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Thanks Dave! We should start a secret society :lol:
it's sooo secret..... Dan didn't even wanna divulge that I dug 2 in a day.shhhhhhhh!

del
08-02-2015, 01:54 PM
http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?13744-4-COPPER-DAY-*2-FUGIOS-S-CT-amp-LARGE-CENT-amp-QUITE-A-FEW-BUTTONS

Ok Dave :rolleyes: you can be in our secret club. :lol:

Thanks Dave! We should start a secret society :lol:

we gotta have a motto !:thinkingabout::thinkingabout:

it's sooo secret..... Dan didn't even wanna divulge that I dug 2 in a day.shhhhhhhh!

Dave with all the coppers you dig its hard to keep track!;)

OxShoeDrew
08-09-2015, 08:39 AM
we gotta have a motto !:thinkingabout::thinkingabout:

Tellus et Memoria :) (Earth Memory)

del
08-09-2015, 11:02 AM
Tellus et Memoria :) (Earth Memory)

i like it !! of how about ...

"Prima Terra Percuniam" (First Earth Money )

or

"Terra Catena Percuniam" (Earth Chain Money)

OxShoeDrew
08-09-2015, 12:24 PM
"Prima Terra Catena Percuniam?" (First earth Chain Money)

Lodge Scent
08-09-2015, 08:43 PM
vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas ........don't anger the gods with your smuggery or your next Fugio maybe a long time coming :envious:

OxShoeDrew
08-10-2015, 05:03 AM
vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas ........don't anger the gods with your smuggery or your next Fugio maybe a long time coming :envious:
:coffeelaugh:

del
08-10-2015, 06:41 AM

:rofl::rofl:

MangoAve
08-10-2015, 09:20 AM

:rofl: Where's the like button when you need it?:hystericallaugh:

Willems
09-14-2015, 05:25 AM
Nice finds you got there.