PDA

View Full Version : Colonial cast iron kettle, beautiful dandy button, and some more colonial relics!

Pacivilwarluke
07-28-2015, 04:21 PM
It's been awhile since I've gotten to post, since my dad took a horrible fall at the beach two weeks ago and has been out of commission, so I didn't have transportation or a hunting buddy! Today we went out early and had a few finds. Started out right off the bat with a silvered rosette. Then I got a huge dandy button, ( second one of this style from this site). However, dad wasn't really digging as he was fielding phone calls for the business. So I went on digging, and pretty soon I got this 80s signal, and realized it was pretty deep. When I finally felt the target I bought it was a complete bowl or something ( and that the real target was beneath it) but as I pulled on it I realized it was round and iron. To my surprise I pulled out an Almost intact colonial three legged kettle! After that it really slowed down, a few buttons, a musketball, some lead, etc but nothing spectacular. I did get what's proabbly a piece of horse tack, but it looks like the holy grail which I found amusing. Dad dug a but towards the end but just got a piece of escutcheon plate. The other piece was from last hunt, it was hiding in the pouch. Hh everyone!

Pacivilwarluke
07-28-2015, 04:36 PM
Good candidate for electrolysis

del
07-28-2015, 04:58 PM
the spiral rosette looks like an older one Luke whats the reverse look like (single iron stud type) , congrats on the large silvered "dandy" button , if the cast iron caldron was a bit smaller I'd say it was and early Mortar (like mortar & pestle). is a very cool find Luke I hope you share the after electrolysis picture with us , I 'm curious to see how it cleans up .

Dan

Pacivilwarluke
07-28-2015, 05:13 PM
the spiral rosette looks like an older one Luke whats the reverse look like (single iron stud type) , congrats on the large silvered "dandy" button , if the cast iron caldron was a bit smaller I'd say it was and early Mortar (like mortar & pestle). is a very cool find Luke I hope you share the after electrolysis picture with us , I 'm curious to see how it cleans up .

Dan

Thanks dan!! It is a single stud I'll get a picture up. How old do you think? I'm excited to clean it up and put some relics in it I'll certaibly post pictures! I'll be doing that when I go back home in a few weeks!

Pacivilwarluke
07-28-2015, 05:29 PM
Back of rosette

Pacivilwarluke
07-28-2015, 06:02 PM
Also got part of a barrel tap

Lodge Scent
07-28-2015, 07:28 PM
Some nice finds there Luke. I have to say that is one of the coolest iron relics I've seen come out of the ground in some time :congrats: Love to see that thing cleaned up.

Bell-Two
07-28-2015, 08:39 PM
Now that is a nice collection of relics, awesome history!

Skamaniac
07-28-2015, 10:11 PM
That kettle is cool for sure! Congratulations on some terrific finds.

del
07-28-2015, 10:24 PM
Luke here is a similar one that they list at 18th to 19th century http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=22268&title=circular-mount&cat=169

Dan

Pacivilwarluke
07-29-2015, 05:27 AM
Some nice finds there Luke. I have to say that is one of the coolest iron relics I've seen come out of the ground in some time :congrats: Love to see that thing cleaned up.

thbak you! It certainly surprised me! Cool to think that that was an important part of a settlers life everyday!

Pacivilwarluke
07-29-2015, 05:27 AM
Now that is a nice collection of relics, awesome history!

Thank you! :)

Pacivilwarluke
07-29-2015, 05:28 AM
That kettle is cool for sure! Congratulations on some terrific finds.

Thanks! HH!

Pacivilwarluke
07-29-2015, 05:29 AM
Luke here is a similar one that they list at 18th to 19th century http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=22268&title=circular-mount&cat=169

Dan
Thanks so much! That database is really helpful. Fits perfectly with the period of my site!

del
07-29-2015, 06:08 AM
Thanks so much! That database is really helpful. Fits perfectly with the period of my site!

yes it is Luke , I'd like to start one here for American finds.

MangoAve
07-29-2015, 08:03 AM
Nice find with the Dandy and the kettle/cauldron. One of those exact same buttons got pulled up last year but I can't seem to find it on AD for some reason.

MangoAve
07-29-2015, 08:07 AM
yes it is Luke , I'd like to start one here for American finds.

That would be quite helpful. That is sometimes why I include the iffy targets that are not quite trash but not quite good finds... so that there is a reference. That and as well to give a comparison of what can possibly come up at these sites. Like I am dumbfounded how in a town green for a town incorporated 1674 (so the green is definitely old) and pull up a spike. Just a bit smaller than a railroad spike. But what it could it possibly be doing in a town green???

Pacivilwarluke
07-29-2015, 11:08 AM
Nice find with the Dandy and the kettle/cauldron. One of those exact same buttons got pulled up last year but I can't seem to find it on AD for some reason.
Really!? And it's not mine I dug in January or March at the same site? This is my second of this variety, cool to find a matching pot of dandys. Life you ever see the other one let me know! HH! :)

Pacivilwarluke
07-29-2015, 11:10 AM
That would be quite helpful. That is sometimes why I include the iffy targets that are not quite trash but not quite good finds... so that there is a reference. That and as well to give a comparison of what can possibly come up at these sites. Like I am dumbfounded how in a town green for a town incorporated 1674 (so the green is definitely old) and pull up a spike. Just a bit smaller than a railroad spike. But what it could it possibly be doing in a town green???

That is odd! I haven't seen the spike, but could it have been a tent spike?

OxShoeDrew
07-29-2015, 11:23 AM

Dan
Wow, nice ID Dan and super finds Luke!

BTV Digger
07-29-2015, 02:08 PM
Great finds Luke. Kettle will probably look awesome after some electrolysis. Love the silver plated rosette as well. I also found a cool silver plated rosette a few years back (see my 2013 album, http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/album.php?albumid=19) but mine isn't nearly as old as yours. Congrats!

John

MangoAve
07-29-2015, 03:09 PM
Well I did see your first one cuz I see I commented on the thread but I swear I saw one that looked the same after cleaning. Your first post had no cleaned pic. Maybe it was Dave? I'll let ya know if I find it.

MangoAve
07-29-2015, 03:21 PM
That is odd! I haven't seen the spike, but could it have been a tent spike?

Oh , there was a tent spike I found kinda near the water fountains. It was bangin cuz it was near the surface. The Garrett wobbles with surface targets that must overload it. The BH doesn't care on surface targets and overload is more like "limited".

I did have the iron spike to show, along with a giant lead slag found there and an unknown metal slag found at a nearby 1939 school. After seeing your reply I was even contemplating something like Ringling Bros possibly performing there in early 1900s, but those tent spikes are huge...so no go there.

The Rebel
07-29-2015, 07:22 PM
WTG Luke! Love that Gilded Button!

Pacivilwarluke
07-29-2015, 07:42 PM
Great finds Luke. Kettle will probably look awesome after some electrolysis. Love the silver plated rosette as well. I also found a cool silver plated rosette a few years back (see my 2013 album, http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/album.php?albumid=19) but mine isn't nearly as old as yours. Congrats!

John

i live your rosette! The square shape is unique! All of mine have been circular. This sites been weird, I have over 10 colonial to early 1800s rosettes from here. ( site was only active until 1820s or so)

Pacivilwarluke
07-29-2015, 07:43 PM
Well I did see your first one cuz I see I commented on the thread but I swear I saw one that looked the same after cleaning. Your first post had no cleaned pic. Maybe it was Dave? I'll let ya know if I find it.

Really!? Please do, it's be intersting to see one dig in NE since these two were dug in the south! HH!

Pacivilwarluke
07-29-2015, 07:45 PM
Oh , there was a tent spike I found kinda near the water fountains. It was bangin cuz it was near the surface. The Garrett wobbles with surface targets that must overload it. The BH doesn't care on surface targets and overload is more like "limited".

I did have the iron spike to show, along with a giant lead slag found there and an unknown metal slag found at a nearby 1939 school. After seeing your reply I was even contemplating something like Ringling Bros possibly performing there in early 1900s, but those tent spikes are huge...so no go there.
hmm, your spike is intersting! I think it looks a lot like a railroad spike, but Te middle of a town green is an odd place for one! Quite peculiar!

Pacivilwarluke
07-29-2015, 07:45 PM
WTG Luke! Love that Gilded Button!
Thanks rebel!

Pacivilwarluke
07-29-2015, 07:46 PM
Wow, nice ID Dan and super finds Luke!
Thanks a lot drew! :)

RIdirtdigger
08-01-2015, 03:40 PM
Nice finds Luke. I find a ton of broken kettle pieces but never a complete one. Good finds!

Pacivilwarluke
08-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Nice finds Luke. I find a ton of broken kettle pieces but never a complete one. Good finds!
Thanks jim! I think I dug a leg of one up in RI with you haha!0

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-02-2015, 10:40 AM
always find broken kettles and legs.pretty cool to see one almost intact.