PDA

View Full Version : OY BOY! First 1/2 Cent - Help ID

catskillcomics
07-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Well, another hot & Humid day.. and wanted to get out of the house for a while and MD , so.. went to a default park and went to an area that I usually do not go to.. I was there only 5 or 10 minutes and wham!!!! My first Half Cent!! <: Even though its not in the best of shape, I'll take it.. can seem to read the date.
Naturally, I called Hockeyguy as I needed to tell someone.. I described it to him as a flowing hair 1/2 cent.. and Im looking in my Red book at examples, and can only find one similar 1794, but my coin don't have the cap like in the example.. so I am hoping someone (Del, coinnut, heavymetal...someone) can help me ID this baby..
One last thing.. I really restrain myself from trying to over clean these old coppers, but do you think I should soak in Mineral oil for a bit?

30U Plymouth
07-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Could this be it.......

del
07-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Could this be it.......

yes i agree an early draped bust half cent , very sweet coin Scott . thumbsup01 huge congrats man. :clapping:

SeabeeRon
07-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Congratz Scott, awesome find! :twirlingeyes:

Epi-hunter
07-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Excellent find, even if in tough shape! Definitely you need to go back to that area of the park again :yes: Congrats! I would love to find one of those!!!

hockeyguy
07-15-2010, 09:48 PM
SWEEEET! Can I have it? jk

Actually, as you know Scott, I was in that area and skunked a few minutes before u got there. Must have missed you by about 5 minutes.

Well, there has to be more there.....maybe we should consider cleaning out the trash as I did pull a reale not too far from there last year.

that is a great find...congratulations! 2 LC's in 1 week!

coinnut
07-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Yep, it is a Draped Bust Half Cent :clapping: Congrats. They were made from 1800 -1808, with the exception of 1801 not being issued. So turn that puppy in different lighting and see if shadows can produce the last digit on it. That way you can date it. I'll give you a hint, the first three digits are 180 lol Now it's up to you to finish the date ;) Great coin, and puting it in oil will not really hurt or help it, I would not clean it any more. I bet you are still doing the half cent jig :cheesysmile:

Phil
07-16-2010, 12:35 AM
The ground has been a little rough on your 1/2 cent but I'd keel over if I made a find like that. Congratulations! :clapping:

Ill Digger
07-16-2010, 02:18 AM
:shocked04:stretcher: Whoa!! Sweet find!!
I'd probably keel over too!! :yes:
Congrats :grin:

angellionel
07-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Great find, Scott! :drool:

zrickkid
07-16-2010, 10:37 PM
Great find, keep hunting!

catskillcomics
07-17-2010, 06:55 AM
Yep, it is a Draped Bust Half Cent :clapping: Congrats. They were made from 1800 -1808, with the exception of 1801 not being issued. So turn that puppy in different lighting and see if shadows can produce the last digit on it. That way you can date it. I'll give you a hint, the first three digits are 180 lol Now it's up to you to finish the date ;) Great coin, and puting it in oil will not really hurt or help it, I would not clean it any more. I bet you are still doing the half cent jig :cheesysmile:

Thanks for the help everyone, Naturally I wish it was in better condition, but the seems that old coins for parks just get eaten away.. It seems that those found in the woods usually hold up better. But no complaints, I guess If I was in the ground for a couple centuries I wouldn't look all that great either rofl
Coinnut, I never thought about using a light to cast a shadow, it worked well, was able to see 00 at the end.. IE making it 1800 :happydance01:

coinnut
07-17-2010, 07:22 PM
Coinnut, I never thought about using a light to cast a shadow, it worked well, was able to see 00 at the end.. IE making it 1800 :happydance01:

Congrats on the first year Half Cent :clapping: Half cents are not that easy to come by. I'll take them any way I can, especially if you can date them.