PDA

View Full Version : Another dig with the fellas - 8/1

Trooper Bri
08-02-2015, 09:22 PM
Dan and I took a long ride yesterday to meet up with Dave and his friend Frank to check out some sites. It was warm and buggy, but for August 1'st coulda been worse. Had fun digging some finds, thanks guys!

Spot #1 of the day turned out to be my most productive. 1'st target on the V3i radar was what I first thought was a rosette. Flipped it over and saw the rusty back of a 2-piece button. The front is some sort of oasis scene with a camel, palms, and a well. The shiny/flaky rim appears to possibly be a ring attached? The button is hollow and light. Don't think it's fantastically old. Any ideas?

Wandered into a pen next. I was there mostly for the shrubby and thorny areas, but along the way I got over a real weird signal. Seemed like a large target with a low VDI that spiked higher on the edges. I popped a plug and out came a bucket lister, my 1'st skeleton key! Not sure how they get cleaned, so I gave it a random scrub with a brass brush to bring out different colors. Looks like the letter O above the hole in the key.

Hit the spot again with the detector, and still have a jumpy target. Turns out to be a rock giving me a real low VDI like the one Dave found last week. Remove it, and I have a mid-50's tone and nice sized target below. Buckle frame! While showing off our finds later, Dave gave me a tongue and chape he dug on the site that's very close to the size of my frame. Thankya Dave!

Last find at this site fooled me, and I did my 1'st bee sprint because of it. Got a nice upper 50's tone, tight and deep in the shrubs. We're getting buzzed by deer flies, so at first I didn't think anything of it. Got down 6", scooped it out, and had to run from the yellowjackets. I got swarmed quick. Didn't get stung somehow. Waited it out and went back in for my stuff.
What I thought was a coin turned out to be a thick plain button with a rolled edge. Hits a solid 65 VDI out of the hole. Very high for a button. It's hefty for a button and has a ring like a coin.

After that was some work and hiking. I managed a tombac @ 8" at a beautiful remote spot. Frank appears to have gotten a CT copper there as well.

Final notable dig for me was what looks to be a small piece of a bridle that had been studded.

RIdirtdigger
08-02-2015, 09:48 PM
Great finds Bri. The bugs have been brutal all summer, so far only one encounter with bees' and I hope to keep it that way. Looks like you all found some good stuff. Keep it up.

Digger_O'Dell
08-02-2015, 10:05 PM
Some nice finds there! Hoping to find some skeleton keys at my new place-need to lock the doors eventually! lol

MangoAve
08-03-2015, 08:21 AM
Ok, now I know about the chape. From the bookface I saw a frame and then a complete piece. It took a few to realize the studded piece included some of the deteriorated leather. You already know the two piece has to be newer than 1840 if it is two piece design. It was mentioned about being a nativity scene. You might have to research to figure out if the person who owned the house was part of any religious movement. Maybe that will narrow it down. There was only one place the bugs were ridic. The flies (must have been horse flies as there were horse tracks by a school baseball field for some reason) were targeting us despite having on bug spray and biting through my clothing.

OxShoeDrew
08-03-2015, 08:37 AM
Nice job Brian! A few days ago I drove a few towns away and parked at a trailhead to hike to a hole. I turned off the car and looked out the window and hundred deer flys were hitting my window....I didn't even get out of the car. :girlcry:
That was really nice of Dave to help you out like that :clapping:

Bell-Two
08-03-2015, 08:38 AM
Way to fight off the bugs and bees and come home with some cool relics SD Brother!

del
08-04-2015, 03:05 AM
the deer flies are getting bad as are them little gnats that like diving into your eyeballs :bangahead02: , the hornets and bees are getting to be in bad moods because of the hot weather. But you know we have it so easy here in New England :rofl: Brian you've been doing very well these last few hunts , well done sir :notworthy: greaqt skeleton key , buttons and shoe buckle frame .

Dan

Lodge Scent
08-04-2015, 06:42 AM
Love finding those skeleton keys. Interesting buttons and a great little buckle !:congrats:

Digger Don
08-05-2015, 06:09 AM
That's a great bunch of finds Bri. Congrats