PDA

View Full Version : A ton of pics and finds.

MangoAve
08-03-2015, 09:45 AM
I will start with a short blurb and a few pics of a semi-recent hunt that didn't end up on here yet. I tried to hit a 1955 school, which used to have a house prior to 1868 on the property, and is next to a 1939 school and a bunch of mid 1800s houses. It took almost an hour to finally pull up some clad. I am not sure if I need to go back with a large coil on the secondary machine because it is possible the ground was leveled when the hole filled in. But even by the side of the mid-1800 house there should have been some finds. I ended up going to a green and requiring using the other machine due to some unknown emi killing my machine. Seems I am way more proficient with mine, however.
I did ask at a 1600s house later the next day after some plans got finished and ended up at the town green again during the sunset. More clad, which you don't realize how much comes up until you empty your pocket and see. I found some sort of railroad spike there, and it is weird how one of those would be in a town green.

A different hunt we went to a spot with two cellar holes. For some reason, the east side of the street house there isn't actually a cellar. It may have been a cabin site throughout it's time. There was a spot with rocks stacked up where the majority of targets were located. As soon as you step out of a 30ft radius from this spot, the targets were really sparse. There were a few ridiculous huge trees there; and the pic doesn't do it justice. It almost looked like there was a depression between two older trees by the side of the road and kinda lead to the left of a rock wall. But 50ft into the woods it looks like it possibly went through the wall....?? The rocks were piled up on one side like loggers did. This is a challenging spot to understand the layout. Two notable finds from there were a centennial suspender clip with an eagle, and a horse tack. The tongue moves to the tack and I am trying a bit of electrolysis on it. The pic of the nice orange salamander is kind of blurry cuz the little guy didn't wanna stay in one spot. The second I can tell was filled in poorly. The foundation is exposed over the sand. There was a nice rope swing on the old tree that was out front and I did spot a child's swing on the ground from another nearby tree. The house stayed until the 50's. It will be a site to wait to return once the weeds die down at spot #2.

This weekend I hit a spot that was an old mill site after finally getting to a certain permission. The permission I just got an old pic on FB from a link someone posted to show the owner. The dog fence was killing my machine so I had to use the GTI. I think there was only 1 out of the five or six frequency settings that didn't give emi issues. I pulled up some clad and a watch gear and a weird oval piece with a screw in it. That's whatsit #1. I only had an hour and a half there but I get to go back sometime. It's not a small yard. Also got a spoon bowl there. Can you tell that I have to add info as I realize from pics?

At the mill site, there were many buildings on the old map but it was gone before the earliest aerial image. It was a hike like GK would have because there was a spot where it was climbing up some rocks just to pass by and either jump down a 5ft drop or climb up the steep grade and only have a 2 ft drop. There were a lot of people there along the way and a few were staring as I walked by. Way way at the end was the actual site and there were a few kids taking pics. I can't quite show the pics of the mill because it might give away the spot, but I can show some other pics of the place. With that and the pics of the finds, boy you who love pics will love this. At one point I had to do some business. It lead me up to another spot with some walls where I happened to get heel plate #2. Lol. Any ideas for whatsit #2 in the picture with harmonica reed? I have seen one of these before but I don't remember where. Dual lantern parts came up here and number two suspender clasp.

49226492314922849233492344922349225492274922949230 4922449232

There happened to be a token I dug there. A little more research needs to be put forth to it. The place I was at existed before 1868. The token was from the Essex county country club in Essex, NJ. It features a ram on the front. Apparently 1887 was the first time when golf was brought to the US. This country club was one of the first celebrating it's 125th anniversary in 2012. I will be contacting them to ask about when they used these tokens and if they were personalized. I heard the name Gillespie before. Maybe it is from Thomas Haining Gillespie born in Scotland in 1876. The Scottish were first with the sport of golfing. There may be a different correlation to him as maybe being somewhat famous he happened to be part of the club. Now to be in a completely different state way in the woods by an old mill to drop the token? There just opens more questions. The last thing is whatsit #3. To me it looks like Thor's hammer. This was a cotton mill site, remember. One side has the studs/spikes. It has a thread all the way through and there is a tiny tab (like the handle of the hammer).

Bell-Two
08-03-2015, 08:52 PM
That is a real plethora of different finds. That Coast Guard item is really neat!

del
08-04-2015, 02:59 AM
your areas look to be improving Jim the finds aren't bad either , like the pictures of the spots and finds . :congrats:

OxShoeDrew
08-04-2015, 06:06 AM
I really like the centennial suspender part and token. Good luck finding info on it. :thumbsup02:

Lodge Scent
08-04-2015, 06:40 AM
Lot's of interesting finds Mango. I'm scratching my head on a few of those whatsits. I wonder if that golf token was used as a ball marker ?

MangoAve
08-04-2015, 06:43 AM
your areas look to be improving Jim the finds aren't bad either , like the pictures of the spots and finds .
Didn't you say this last time to me? Lol. Thanks regardless. The person I trust to see my saved locations, prob can't add any more than I myself can, to confer about these places. So it's kinda like running down the list and some are hit and some are a miss.

I really like the centennial suspender part and token. Good luck finding info on it.

The thing that strikes me is how specific finds come about. I had no buffs last season. All the sudden they start coming. I had no heel plates. Then all the sudden two come out within a few weeks of each other. The token is very different and unique. The club is open today (not yesterday when I sent the email) so we'll see soon. I think they are the only ones who can tell me about it because there is absolutely nothing online about them.

That is a real plethora of different finds. That Coast Guard item is really neat!
Haha. Yes it is. I do find quite a varied bit of items. Yes the coast guard things is neat.... but it isn't quite a find lol. You don't have those in Ohio? Not sure if the coast guard has any ships in the great lakes. Actually it's just a survey marker embedded in the rocks. There were two at that beach, but I know of one other that is roughly 60 miles inland on Talcott ridge and I believe they both have the same date of 1934. Idk if you noticed that the historical aerials are also 1934, or at least for CT, and I am certain it's not a coincidence.

MangoAve
08-04-2015, 06:48 AM
Lot's of interesting finds Mango. I'm scratching my head on a few of those whatsits. I wonder if that golf token was used as a ball marker ?

That is exactly what a coworker said when I showed him the token. It just might be a marker. The place did open as a game (hunting) spot too for the fact there is a ram on the front. We'll see about it.

The piece with the hole and two tabs.. idk. It reminds me of the insert to a ratchet to make it turn clockwise or counterclockwise, but those are not flat stock and they also have teeth. I am guessing the 'hammer' piece is some de-thatcher piece for the cotton before they start spinning it. BUT I cant quite find any break down of the cotton machines and any diagrams show only the big pieces. This is prob a piece of a subassembly of a subassembly to the main assembly.

Tony Two-Cent
08-04-2015, 07:33 AM
Great photos and nice finds! I like the centennial suspender clip and the boot heel.

:congrats:

MangoAve
08-05-2015, 08:44 AM
Great photos and nice finds! I like the centennial suspender clip and the boot heel

Thanks, Tony. At least I know I can make it as a cameraman. Lol.
For some reason I was cleaning the clips last night in hot peroxide. I didn't leave them in more than an hour so there is prob still some crud on them. Like rubbing with a toothpick on the low spots and my thumb on the backs it was still yielding dirty residue on my hands, but the ornate one is reddish like how cleaned IH are, and the one you like is darker and has green spots. Oh yeah, and how I mentioned to Drew. No suspender clips, then all the sudden within the same week two pop up.
Personally I like the token best. Possibly being owned by a famous person makes it more intrinsically worth.

GA1dad
08-07-2015, 11:08 PM
Love the variety in the finds, and the pics!!

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-09-2015, 08:02 AM
very cool centennial clip.

kpmoose
08-09-2015, 06:55 PM
You've been busy Jim. Great range of finds. Congrats. Oh yeah, nice job on the pics too. :thumbsup01:

MangoAve
08-10-2015, 09:58 AM
Thanks GA and Dave. Kev, I been trying to stay active. Given the situations and how a change has brought better health and more energy I been trying to take advantage. Lol.. I am designated cameraman in situations when I am not in the detecting mode. As well as designated chauffer. Have you been able to get out some?

kpmoose
08-10-2015, 08:53 PM
Thanks GA and Dave. Kev, I been trying to stay active. Given the situations and how a change has brought better health and more energy I been trying to take advantage. Lol.. I am designated cameraman in situations when I am not in the detecting mode. As well as designated chauffer. Have you been able to get out some?

Take advantage while you can. I've only been able to get out here & there. Some medical issues for my daughter have kept my free time to a minimum this year (no worries though, as she is doing better & seems to be on the mend :crossfingers:).

Dan is definitely right- your finds are getting better & better. Keep swinging, we'll get out again sometime in the not too distant future.

MangoAve
08-11-2015, 07:27 AM
Keep swinging, we'll get out again sometime in the not too distant future.

Yeah, it's only been once this year we got out.
Good to hear things are on the upward slope at least. Idk if there is any correlation, but I will say that some things on the internet are actually true. Most autoimmune situations are caused by diet. But being a forum on detecting I won't elaborate.

donald sutphin
08-24-2015, 11:41 PM
Like the swage for an anvil with the tenderiser design .

MangoAve
09-04-2015, 07:35 AM
I have been conversing with the historian for the club and I have been researching. I am still not concrete on anything, but there was a bit more history to the club. It is quite a bit older than 1887. There was a mention of the name "Captain" Gillespie in the historical book who tried to revive the place as a hotel in the 1830's. I did notice a manufacturing stamp on the bottom edge. For some reason I missed it... and I look at the pics here and you can clearly see some tiny marking on the bottom scallop. I used my pen camera and zoomed as much as possible. Looks like JFJco or JFalco and it was made in New York (hence the NY below the company name). I am hoping someone has some info on New York manufacturers in the early-mid 1800s. A few key dates, like the ending of Gillespie's ownership is 1837 and two following sales of property were 1839 and 1842.

Cheap Thrills
09-05-2015, 03:49 PM
Awesome finds and pictures . I'm sure you will find more there .:thumbsup02: