PDA

View Full Version : Colonial trashpit diggin' and river walkin'

Pacivilwarluke
08-04-2015, 09:11 AM
Post below |

Pacivilwarluke
08-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Yesterday it was kinda yucky out ( but cool, only the low 80s) in the lowcountry so I decided to go trashpit digging! I spent about one and a half hours digging one out and found some decent colonial relics! The highlight was 96 pipe stems mostly dating to the mid 1700s ( that makes about 250-300 from this pit so far) but I found a few other things, I got a tiny thimble and another stud backed gilted rosette, a musketball, a brass ring, and some piece of iron that needs IDing. Of course ghere was tons of pottery too, but I only picked up the pretty pieces. It reminds me of something from a fireplace/hearth for some reason. I also found some things walking a river down here, the highlight being the neck and lip of a black glass mallet or onion bottle but I also got two more necks that are proabbly mid 1700s with really crude lips but they aren't black glass.

Pacivilwarluke
08-04-2015, 10:33 AM
Bottle is actually a cylindrical, and I guess the 8 is a makers Mark?

Tony Two-Cent
08-04-2015, 11:16 AM
That's a lot of pipe stems! Definitely an old trash pit you're digging there! I really like the thimble, it's an oldie and appears to be in good condition.

I wish we could find stuff from the 1700s like that here in Illinois!

:congrats:

The Rebel
08-04-2015, 11:38 AM
Cool digs!

Bucknut
08-04-2015, 12:07 PM
That is pretty cool. Seems logical that there is a homesite or more nearby. Do you know of sites nearby and if so have you detected them?

Pacivilwarluke
08-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Yes, I have and you're right, There were quite a few homesites in this area. If I say any more I might give up my spot so I won't say anything further. ;) I've been lucky enough to pull out some nice relics there! :) thanks!

del
08-04-2015, 01:58 PM
the iron piece looks a bit like the top to an old wrought iron fireplace andiron or a large door knocker .

Lodge Scent
08-04-2015, 05:56 PM
Looks like hot work there Luke, but it paid off with some nice old relics :congrats:

Pacivilwarluke
08-04-2015, 08:48 PM
the iron piece looks a bit like the top to an old wrought iron fireplace andiron or a large door knocker .

That would make sense! Someone also told me that it's possible they were fireplace rings ( the spring part) but I'm. Not so sure of that. Thanks!!

Pacivilwarluke
08-04-2015, 08:51 PM
Looks like hot work there Luke, but it paid off with some nice old relics :congrats:
oh yeah, I'm drenched by the end of the hunt. And it's so overgrown and poison covered I have to wear lots of clothes. But to dig up the colonial past- it's worth it!

Pacivilwarluke
08-04-2015, 08:52 PM
That's a lot of pipe stems! Definitely an old trash pit you're digging there! I really like the thimble, it's an oldie and appears to be in good condition.

I wish we could find stuff from the 1700s like that here in Illinois!

:congrats:
Thanks! I believe it's the best condition colonial one I've found. Totally intact, no cracks. Most of mine have rusty tops or missing tops.

Pacivilwarluke
08-04-2015, 08:52 PM
Cool digs!
Thanks rebel!

OxShoeDrew
08-05-2015, 03:07 AM
Could that be a tavern site Luke? There also oyster shells?
That is an amazing amount of pipe parts. I've yet to find one. :clapping:

MangoAve
08-05-2015, 06:41 AM
Lol. That pic shows how dirty you got digging there. No one said anything about walking there with a large shovel in hand? I wonder if the thimble is small like a dime and those are being passed over.... I would lean toward a door knocker on that iron piece.

Pacivilwarluke
08-05-2015, 06:49 AM
Could that be a tavern site Luke? There also oyster shells?
That is an amazing amount of pipe parts. I've yet to find one. :clapping:

Man are you a mind reader? It is likely I found a tavern, I know there was one on this tract of land and the pipe stems oyster shells barrel tap Jews harp clay marble etc all point to that possibility!

Pacivilwarluke
08-05-2015, 07:23 AM
Lol. That pic shows how dirty you got digging there. No one said anything about walking there with a large shovel in hand? I wonder if the thimble is small like a dime and those are being passed over.... I would lean toward a door knocker on that iron piece.

Oh yeah, I'm always caked in it, but it's worth it! Nope nobody says anything. And if so its my "snake killer/walking stick" haha.

Bell-Two
08-06-2015, 07:04 AM
Well getting dirty is what it's all about! Wow what a bunch of pipe parts. I bet there are more exciting artifacts there.