PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your finds?

Digger_O'Dell
08-06-2015, 12:23 AM
This might be an rhetorical question, but what does everyone do with most of your finds?

I read of people here who have collected maybe hundreds of silver coins and loads of Wheaties and Indians. Realistically, most are worth little and in my experience they cannot be sold for enough to even cover postage in most cases. I had coin shops offer me silver value on the Mercs I found, which means they would be melted down and lost forever. Personally, I can't bring myself to let that happen to old coins! A display might be nice for a while, least until the collection gets too big. I'm sure this goes for old relics as well since most items also likely have no significant monetary value.

del
08-06-2015, 03:01 AM
I keep everything but junk (shotgun shells , rifle casing , some lead and junk iron and any scrap brass and copper) goes in a designated bucket to be scrapped for cash. relics and coins get saved and put in displays .

ODA 226
08-06-2015, 05:03 AM
I put all my good finds, especially my gold and silver rings, in display cases.

MangoAve
08-06-2015, 06:38 AM
So far the good coins are in a box along with the smaller relics. Kev was nice enough to bring me an empty tea box (bamboo) from work. The bigger items that are relics I have just out. The canteen I am donating. Nothing is definite yet with displays, tho. I am intending to get coin holders which also would include my coin collection. I would like to figure out something to display the relics like buckles and bell.
The broken solid silver fork I might sell for melt value because it is big. The trash...I just throw away. The cans I take home I throw into recycling (plus removing them helps if I go back because the junk target with the good VDI is now removed and no more masking). Iron and scrap go into the trash. I'd have to look into what Dan does: saving and bringing for scrap. Idk where the scrap place is near me and whether it's even worth it. Whether or not the time and effort and (more) gas to bring in the scrap will be less than the money I get from selling it...
The clad I separate. The really chewed up ones I have to go to a bank and return at a teller. The coins that were acceptable I took to a machine and luckily there was no fee if I got a voucher for certain places.

Lodge Scent
08-06-2015, 07:57 AM
Relics and old coins go into my display case. Clad coinage goes into a 12 ounce plastic beer cup. After 8 years of detecting it's only 3/4 full. I don't find much clad in the woods. Lead fragments go into a small box to be scrapped at some point. I used to save shotgun shells, would throw them in a box when I got home. After first few years I had almost 400 of them. Gave them to some guy that collects them. Now they go in the trash.

Skamaniac
08-08-2015, 10:38 PM
Clad goes in a Folger's coffee can. Relics get rust-busted and kept separate for displaying later. Jewelry and old coins also kept for future display. Trash get tossed into a garbage can as soon as it's rechecked to confirmed it's all trash.