PDA

View Full Version : Best hunt in a LONG time!

Pennsylvania Treasures
08-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Get ready for a TON of pictures because you're going to see a lot!

It all started yesterday my dad and I planned on going out west of us for the day and we're going to go ask permission at old houses we saw on the way. It was TERRIBLE. People said no, people weren't home,:bangshead01:and we were running out of digging time. Until... We saw this nice big old house from the road with a HUGE front yard! We got out in hope for a yes since we hadn't even touched the metal detectors yet. The owner was super nice and said yes! He had also told us that a guy in his 20's was here before us and Found a few cuff buttons and a old tin whistle. Anyways we started hitting the yard and I wasn't finding much until my dad called me over to his hole...he found a 1727-176? KGII! :clapping: His first copper! After that the finds started flooding in. I I Then found a nice old beautiful dandy button, a 1879 Indian in great shape, a unknown date fatty Indian, and a Tombac button! We then had to leave but we went back today! Since my dad found a copper yesterday and I haven't even found my first yet I was hoping I would find one today! I started swinging and for a while I hadn't found much
until BAM!:yahoo: I found my first copper!!! A 1805 Draped Bust Half Cent!!! Finds after that consisted of a 1865 3 Cent Nickel, a 1750's Blowhole button, and another Tombac button! It was a amazing 2 days and my dad and I will be going back again just to check if we missed anything! Here come the pictures!

del
08-10-2015, 01:50 AM
:shocked03::wow: old coin envy overload :shocked05::drool:what a couple of great hunts :notworthy: great pictures , I feel like i was almost there PT , minus the coins of course :lol: is the house it self that old or was there an older homestead near the property?? there is a ton of yard to cover and to keep you busy for some time . go back go back!!

Dan

wisconsin digger
08-10-2015, 05:32 AM
Definitely a great couple of hunts. You found coins in 2 days I probably will not find in a lifetime. great coins. I finally bought a half cent, that is probably as close as I will come. Nice job WD

Pennsylvania Treasures
08-10-2015, 07:01 AM
:shocked03::wow: old coin envy overload :shocked05::drool:what a couple of great hunts :notworthy: great pictures , I feel like i was almost there PT , minus the coins of course :lol: is the house it self that old or was there an older homestead near the property?? there is a ton of yard to cover and to keep you busy for some time . go back go back!!

Dan

Thanks Dan! The house was built in 1750 and I will definitely be going back again!

Pennsylvania Treasures
08-10-2015, 07:03 AM
Definitely a great couple of hunts. You found coins in 2 days I probably will not find in a lifetime. great coins. I finally bought a half cent, that is probably as close as I will come. Nice job WD

Thank You! I still can't believe a property in such and town that has been heavily gone over by other detectorist still held this many finds!

del
08-10-2015, 07:05 AM
Old homes like that will have an outside picnic area , sometimes they can be up to hundreds of yards away or very close and picnic'ed there for generations . these can be gold mines for old coins and relics.

Restoring Your Finds
08-10-2015, 07:27 AM
What a fantastic day you had ! Thanks for sharing

Bucknut
08-10-2015, 08:15 AM
Man what a spot!!! Congrats on all those nice coins! That 1879 indian is very nice. I have not seen a 3 cent nickel dug in a long time...nice save there! There has to be an old silver still around there somewhere....hope you can go back.

MangoAve
08-10-2015, 10:04 AM
Dang, I call cheating when you use the tractor for digs. :hystericallaugh: Nice bunch of coins. Not many of those three cent nickels come up. Obvi nice score on the DB and the few toasted coppers. the IH is in great shape. Hoping the one I pulled up cleans that nice. With what Dan mentioned, maybe you did find the picnic area. Obvi that deems more attention and further pounding. I too got one place with doors wide open at an 1811 house and no one answered, a possible dirty gesture as I drove by the neighbor's house trying to look further up the old dirt road to at least observe the area, and a "We detect ourselves and KEEP all out finds".