PDA

View Full Version : Silver Scout ring

Ill Digger
07-16-2010, 02:23 AM
I was givin' permission to hunt a new location this week .So I took advantage of the oppertunity. Although I know this place has been detected before. Not hard or long...but it's been hit. It was a hot, buggy day but I found a nice Boy Scout ring a few other things.I also found a messed up IH the day before any ideas? Here's the link to a video I made from the hunt. :confused: Metal Detectin' with Ill Digger 7/13/2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbaVNn3Eoxw#)

Thanks for lookin' & HH :grin:

coinnut
07-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Hey, nice group of finds. Love the badge :clapping: If there isn't any writing on it anywhere, try looking at state crests and see if that tree is one that is used by a state or town. You may be able to ID it that way. Sometimes orginizations use a specific symbol on their pieces (like Masons or Lions clubs, etc...) As far as the Indian is concerned. The reverse is what's called a rotated die and it's 180 degrees rotated. This happens when they put the dies in and the guy is not paying attention to orientation. lol He probably caught the mistake and corrected it later on. So in a way it is a mint error, just a minor one I would guess :confused: The 7 is probably made from individual punches in the date. When the die is taken from a master hub (which may not have any date on it) the date will be punched in by hand and the 7 was just punched in a bit crooked. That particular die will produce those crooked 7's for it's life time. Not sure if the Indian series was done that way, but that's my guess. Someone who knows their Indians may want to chime in. There are 2 rarer 1907's listed in Breen's book. One is a triple 7 (faint extra two 7's slightly above the 7 you are looking at. The other is the 1907 Large date over small date, most noticable in the 9 having a smaller part of the 9 visible inside it. So there you have it, that's all I think I know lol Nice video on your hunt. thumbsup01

rsarge1
07-16-2010, 03:13 PM
:clapping: :clapping:
sweet wtg

sarge

SeabeeRon
07-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Thanks for taking us along on the hunt, and CONGRATZ!!

angellionel
07-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Nice hunt. The badge is a cool find, and I do like the ring too. The mosquitoes were being pesky I noticed. lol

Fire Fighter 43
07-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Cool ring Tim, I found one like that last year at the DFxonly hunt. How are you liking the Etrac now that you have a few hours on it?

catskillcomics
07-17-2010, 06:52 AM
Great Ring <: Always fun to find those.. and your other finds are great as well.. I bet you can go over that yard at different angles all summer long and still find goodies.

tanacat
07-19-2010, 09:40 AM
I love your vid so far! I'm rushing off to take my kid to summer school. I'll watch the rest of your vid and research some for you when I get back :grin: Congrats on the ring!

Epi-hunter
07-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Great finds!! I love the ring!!!

tanacat
07-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Very cool finds Tim! I love the badge.. but you already know I'm a tree hugger lol

It looks like perhaps an oak tree? Went googling a bit and according to this one site, oak trees represent strength and royalty. And groves of oaks were places of great religious ceremony. Perhaps it's foreign and made it here by ship- Celtic... you'll know where I'm coming from after you check out the site. Cool poem I thought:

My rank and my lordship
my beauty and my face
my nobility and my endurance
my cherished ancestral possessions
my power and my protection
to my chosen champion Russ,
to my noble Failge of the red blade
to my strong and study shelter of good oak.

(Dillon, Miles, trans. Lebor na Cert (Book of Rights). Dubline: Irish Tests Society, 1962)

Here's the site: http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/polcrt/OakTree.html

I'll keep looking- love a good challenge!

Ill Digger
07-20-2010, 12:20 AM
Hey, nice group of finds. Love the badge :clapping: If there isn't any writing on it anywhere, try looking at state crests and see if that tree is one that is used by a state or town. You may be able to ID it that way. Sometimes orginizations use a specific symbol on their pieces (like Masons or Lions clubs, etc...) As far as the Indian is concerned. The reverse is what's called a rotated die and it's 180 degrees rotated. This happens when they put the dies in and the guy is not paying attention to orientation. lol He probably caught the mistake and corrected it later on. So in a way it is a mint error, just a minor one I would guess :confused: The 7 is probably made from individual punches in the date. When the die is taken from a master hub (which may not have any date on it) the date will be punched in by hand and the 7 was just punched in a bit crooked. That particular die will produce those crooked 7's for it's life time. Not sure if the Indian series was done that way, but that's my guess. Someone who knows their Indians may want to chime in. There are 2 rarer 1907's listed in Breen's book. One is a triple 7 (faint extra two 7's slightly above the 7 you are looking at. The other is the 1907 Large date over small date, most noticable in the 9 having a smaller part of the 9 visible inside it. So there you have it, that's all I think I know lol Nice video on your hunt. thumbsup01
Thanks ! Sooo your saying I still have to find a job and go to work? :bangahead01: Dang!! lol But it's the 1897 that's flipped. Does your book say anything about a 1897 IH ?

Thanks for taking us along on the hunt, and CONGRATZ!!
No problem!! Thanks for watchin'! :grin:

Nice hunt. The badge is a cool find, and I do like the ring too. The mosquitoes were being pesky I noticed. lol
Thanks Angel!! You could notice the mosquitoes were feasting on me? :mad:

Ill Digger
07-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Cool ring Tim, I found one like that last year at the DFxonly hunt. How are you liking the Etrac now that you have a few hours on it?
Thanks Jeff! Well so far it's OK. I will say I'm digging alot of targets 6,7,8,inches deep quite regularly. But I'm also digging enough nails to start my own hardware store too :mad: But I've noticed at some of the places I've already hunted, when digging a good target I'll find iron with it or near by. It's still a little to soon to say for sure.

Great Ring <: Always fun to find those.. and your other finds are great as well.. I bet you can go over that yard at different angles all summer long and still find goodies.
Thanks Scott !! I'll surely be trying!! :yes:

I love your vid so far! I'm rushing off to take my kid to summer school. I'll watch the rest of your vid and research some for you when I get back :grin: Congrats on the ring!

Great finds!! I love the ring!!!
Thanks ladies :grin:

z118
07-20-2010, 06:21 AM
Nice Ring! I got the very same one earlier this year - it's one of my favorite finds so far! Here's mine:

coinnut
07-20-2010, 11:02 AM
As far as the Indian is concerned. The reverse is what's called a rotated die and it's 180 degrees rotated. This happens when they put the dies in and the guy is not paying attention to orientation. lol He probably caught the mistake and corrected it later on. So in a way it is a mint error, just a minor one I would guess :confused: The 7 is probably made from individual punches in the date. When the die is taken from a master hub (which may not have any date on it) the date will be punched in by hand and the 7 was just punched in a bit crooked. That particular die will produce those crooked 7's for it's life time. Not sure if the Indian series was done that way, but that's my guess. Someone who knows their Indians may want to chime in. There are 2 rarer 1907's listed in Breen's book. One is a triple 7 (faint extra two 7's slightly above the 7 you are looking at. The other is the 1907 Large date over small date, most noticable in the 9 having a smaller part of the 9 visible inside it.

Thanks ! Sooo your saying I still have to find a job and go to work? :bangahead01: Dang!! lol But it's the 1897 that's flipped. Does your book say anything about a 1897 IH ?

Yep, it sure does...my book says you still need to work for a very long, long, time rofl But there is a rare 1897 That says Base of extra 1 protrudes from throat. Very rare. Whatever that means lol But I doubt you could retire on that one either.

pulltabsteve
07-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Great video! Cool ring and key. Nice hunt.

tanacat
07-21-2010, 06:25 PM
Soooo, on your other vid you said you don't think it's a badge... what do you think it is? Did I miss something? You know, when I first saw it I thought maybe a horse rosette- they're usually round, but maybe? For a Celtic troop of some sort? lol (according to that one site) I'm determined to figure out what the tree thing is :huh:

Ill Digger
07-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Soooo, on your other vid you said you don't think it's a badge... what do you think it is? Did I miss something? You know, when I first saw it I thought maybe a horse rosette- they're usually round, but maybe? For a Celtic troop of some sort? lol (according to that one site) I'm determined to figure out what the tree thing is :huh:
No you didn't miss anything...I just can't hardly believe I found two identical badges and two badges that don't have any writing or markings on them :confused: :dontknow:
Boy if you can find out what they are I'd be tickled to hear what they are!! Maybe I'll be able to find something else that belongs to them, like another piece of them. I haven't been able to find anything even remotely close to them :dontknow: Thanks for your help my friend :grin:

tanacat
07-22-2010, 10:32 AM
You found them near eachother? I bet for a horse saddle... like one on each side to signify a something. Did you like that analysis of royalty and strength- the religious aspect? If it is an OAK tree. lol I'll look around some more after I get back from my hunt- got 2 hrs to MD, kid free! :happydance01:

Ill Digger
07-22-2010, 02:00 PM
You found them near eachother? I bet for a horse saddle... like one on each side to signify a something. Did you like that analysis of royalty and strength- the religious aspect? If it is an OAK tree. lol I'll look around some more after I get back from my hunt- got 2 hrs to MD, kid free! :happydance01:
Well I found them in the same yard . They were probably 15-20 feet apart. I haven't been around enough horses or saddles to know enough about them. If you find somthing let me know I'm coming up with blanks :-\
2 hours?...go get'em then thumbsup01