PDA

View Full Version : A few relics at the farm

Digger_O'Dell
08-10-2015, 07:16 PM
I was able to get out for a short time over the weekend while taking a break from errands, cleaning and unpacking at my new place. Depending on where I hit, it seemed to me that someone had just dumped various items around the farm over the years. Last week I found a bunch of clad, but nothing old. This weeks was a bit different as I started finding older memorials and even a wheatie finally! Unfortunately the wheatie must have been a lawn mower hit as it was sliced and bent over-of course being my luck, it was right through the date. All I can get is 195x off it.

But, I did find some interesting relics such as a horse bit and some kind of steel ring:

Also found but not pictured were a bunch of irrigation nozzles a load of brass rectangles with relief numbers/letters on them, chunk of brass, and a square nail. So I know older stuff is there, just a matter of finding it.

Here's a couple pics of the barn area:
49399 49400
GL and HH everyone!

Lodge Scent
08-10-2015, 08:33 PM
Hit that place when the weeds die down and I am sure more goodies will show up.

Digger_O'Dell
08-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Lodge Scent, that's the plan so far, but I also have a few acres that are mowed including an area where a big shed was recently razed so a lot of debris in that area. Also have a commercial building next door which is part of the property also. This is where I found the wheatie, near a large garage door.
I'll get more area photos up soon.

groundhog53946
08-11-2015, 12:16 AM
I'm sure the best is yet to come. HH

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Digger_O'Dell
08-11-2015, 02:04 AM
Here's a photo showing some of the other misc. stuff. I got a large chunk of brass that looks like someone had taken a pipe wrench to, ring of cut off lead pipe, brass number and letter tags, irrigation nozzles, modern jeans button, and a couple square nails.

Bell-Two
08-11-2015, 07:59 AM
Looks like a place with great potential!

Digger_O'Dell
08-11-2015, 06:50 PM
Most definitely has a lot of potential, but I haven't been getting anything really good so far. But, I am trying a completely new approach to the settings and technique used with my machine that shows promise for a HUGE improvement! Before I never could get a nickel with my concentric coil, even near the surface. Trying the new approach I picked up a nickel this morning 6 inches down and on edge between some small stones and under a couple nails. Impossible find for me earlier I think! Have LOTS more hope now!

OxShoeDrew
08-11-2015, 07:58 PM
I love that bit, they seem to be rare. Maybe that steel ring is a rein guard. That site looks like it is only just starting to produce.

del
08-11-2015, 08:01 PM
great looking site , that built up stone lined barn foundation looks similar to ones we detect out this way . definitely go back in the late fall and especially in the early spring after the heavy snows have packed all the vegetation down it will open a lot of swinging area. good luck and keep us updated to your efforts .

Dan