PDA

View Full Version : Early Artillery Button

OxShoeDrew
08-11-2015, 06:57 PM
The rain stopped this afternoon so I headed out to a hole I found directly across from an old cemetery. The hole is weirdly L shaped and only a few hundred yrds from the road....but it can't be seen from the road and isn't on any maps. So I thought I might have a winner. I don't think the site has been detected much I found some perfect dime signals right on the lip and there were lots of other signals too. There isn't a whole lot of room to swing but it warrants a return trip.
The crotal pieces were not found together! I'm hoping to get the rest when I go back.
Does anyone see a right facing bust with a pigtail on that copper?
I've never dug a dandy with so much silver color on it :shocked01: The back has even more silver than the front!
I guess the artillery button is early 1800s?

So I'm detecting and a small faun runs toward me! All I could think of is when Dan had wolves chase deer by him. I was a bit shaken...but nothing was following the faun. Thanks!

del
08-11-2015, 07:37 PM
hey congrats on the finds Drew , from the looks of the keepers I'd say the site hasn't been hit very well. the copper looks like a William III and thats a great fancy dandy button but your find of the day is definitely the 3rd regimental Artillery button from the war of 1812 era. is it pewter and have you soaked it into elmer's glue and water of sprayed it with hairspray to keep it from crumbling apart??

Dan

OxShoeDrew
08-11-2015, 07:46 PM
Thank you Dan! It looks pewter in the pic but it's not. An 1812 artillery button was on my wish list...fish, fish. :thumbsup02:

del
08-11-2015, 07:54 PM
Drew some of these are made of brass I believe Dave has found a couple and they can range from being in poor shape to in really nice condition depending where they were laying. if yours does indeed have the numeral 3 under the scripted A then yours would date from 1811 to 1813 and you can't get more war era than that. congrats on finding a nice piece of history :notworthy:

The Rebel
08-11-2015, 08:22 PM
WTG Drew! You're having a phenomenal year!

Pacivilwarluke
08-11-2015, 10:25 PM
Way to go! That artillery button, the copper, the dandy, wow! You couldn't ask for murch more! Too cool! :)

MangoAve
08-12-2015, 07:23 AM
Drew is scared of Bambi. :lol: Jk. Sweet dandy and nice artillery button. It's in ok shape at least. Oh Drew, you are questioning about the L shape of the hole?? I figured you would have visited more cellar holes than I have to know it's not uncommon. Good you got a nice spot to return to. Go get em'

OxShoeDrew
08-12-2015, 10:03 AM
Thanks everyone! Jim, deer running toward you is not a good sign :lol: ...and I don't recall many L shaped holes...but I don't remember what I had for dinner last night.

Lodge Scent
08-12-2015, 04:31 PM
You are doing alright there Drew. I like those William IIIs almost as much as Fugios. Nice buttons too !

OxShoeDrew
08-12-2015, 04:51 PM
You are doing alright there Drew. I like those William IIIs almost as much as Fugios. Nice buttons too !Me too Jeff...Anything from the 1600s is thrilling in my book...no matter the condition. Funny, both the 1812 button and that copper were relegated to my "not important pouch" when I found them. I thought the dandy was my best find, until I got home. Thanks!

RIdirtdigger
08-12-2015, 06:14 PM
Great finds. That copper looks a lot like a William III as Dan said. Looks like you have yourself a nice roadside site. Great finds!

MangoAve
08-13-2015, 07:52 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3195871/Adorable-real-life-Bambi-Thumper-play-Colorado-Rockies.html#v-4417526303001

There ya go, ya old scaredy cat. :lol:

One of the holes I found I am uncertain if it is U shaped or part is filled in. It was the place where I found the hydrant cap that you liked. (If you remember it....Lol)

OxShoeDrew
08-13-2015, 10:21 AM
There ya go, ya old scaredy cat. :lol:
:lol: How cute is that...I heard a story on the radio last week about the little boy who did Bambi's voice grew up to be a commandant in the Marine Corps and kept his voice credit a secret for years.
...and Thanks RIJames!

Bell-Two
08-13-2015, 08:13 PM
That is a great button and sweet Copper!

HEAVYMETALNUT
09-10-2015, 07:04 PM
sweet script artillery! i'd say you had a amazing day! congrats man!

Cheap Thrills
09-10-2015, 10:26 PM
A belated congratulations on those great finds Drew .:thumbsup02::clapping: Lately , I'm older than the things I have been finding .:lol:

OxShoeDrew
09-12-2015, 04:45 PM
A belated congratulations on those great finds Drew .:thumbsup02::clapping: Lately , I'm older than the things I have been finding .:lol:
Thanks everyone! I hope you're really old George :lol: