PDA

View Full Version : Was on a British kick today- including a Tudor rose!

Pacivilwarluke
08-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Didn't do amazing today here in the lowcountry of SC ( but I found civil war and colonial so still a good day for recovering some history :) ) got a bunch of buttons, including a silvered ball button, ( from this site probably CS) percussion cap, bale seals, a broken clamshell sword guard part, and my favorite find- this Tudor rose variant button. The Tudor rose is. A symbol of the English monarchy. Some people have them labeled as British lieutenants but I doubt it even though revolutionary war buttons have turned up very close from here. It's probably political, but I love it! I've been wanting one for awhile. Also got a London button and dad got a cool VR ( queen Victoria) brass piece likely a lock cover. Isaac was with and found some very cool finds too. Nothing mind blowing but I had fun :)

Digger_O'Dell
08-12-2015, 12:06 AM
Definitely some very cool finds! Lucky to be near such history which we don't have in the Midwest.

Iron Patch
08-12-2015, 01:14 AM
I do like that button, as I have a thing for the early nice designed ones... but it is not a tudor rose, so therefore no chance it's a Lieutenant Navy.

del
08-12-2015, 02:42 AM
the picture of the ancient tree with the old spanish moss is great looks like a very old spot. congrats on the keepers you managed to grab.

I do like that button, as I have a thing for the early nice designed ones... but it is not a tudor rose, so therefore no chance it's a Lieutenant Navy.

I'm gonna agree with Patch on this one as the flower motif has 7 petals instead of the usual 5 that are normally found on the British military ones.

Pacivilwarluke
08-12-2015, 04:52 AM
I do see that now, rats. Still a cool civilian though, thanks

Pacivilwarluke
08-12-2015, 04:58 AM
the picture of the ancient tree with the old spanish moss is great looks like a very old spot. congrats on the keepers you managed to grab.

I'm gonna agree with Patch on this one as the flower motif has 7 petals instead of the usual 5 that are normally found on the British military ones.

Thats one of about 10 all in a row ( old plantation road). Figured it wasn't military but glad to know for sure. Still pretty!

MangoAve
08-12-2015, 06:43 AM
That's still a nice bit of finds even if it wasn't what you expected. The floral button is still nice regardless. We don't have many trees like that up this way. It reminds me of the bayou, but Lol....we do have the oldest tree up this way. One since Columbus landed is still alive kinda near me.

Pacivilwarluke
08-12-2015, 07:24 AM
That's still a nice bit of finds even if it wasn't what you expected. The floral button is still nice regardless. We don't have many trees like that up this way. It reminds me of the bayou, but Lol....we do have the oldest tree up this way. One since Columbus landed is still alive kinda near me.
Thank you! When I see an old tree, I just imagine all its been through. The "witness trees" in Gettysburg are like that. HH!

Pacivilwarluke
08-12-2015, 07:25 AM
Definitely some very cool finds! Lucky to be near such history which we don't have in the Midwest.

Thnaks! This whole area was plantations from the 1700s and it's just incrdible, lucky to be able to spend time down here!

Lodge Scent
08-12-2015, 04:36 PM
Very cool! Some excellent buttons. :congrats:

That site looks snakey. Watch where you step!

Isaac
08-12-2015, 05:36 PM
Yeah Luke and his dad were frwaking out LOL but obviously diamond backs can kill you quick so we didn't take any chances and did the easy and smart thing. To stay in the high grass fields. I got so bitten up. I'll make a thread here in a minute...found a killer button. I really like the sword guard.!

Pacivilwarluke
08-12-2015, 09:47 PM
Yeah Luke and his dad were frwaking out LOL but obviously diamond backs can kill you quick so we didn't take any chances and did the easy and smart thing. To stay in the high grass fields. I got so bitten up. I'll make a thread here in a minute...found a killer button. I really like the sword guard.!

Exactky, and when you see a five footer diamondback next to your foot, and a lot step on it and youre about an hour from a hospital in the middle of the woods, you really Start to become cautious. At the best a bite would ruin you for a few months. At the worst.. Well. I think you know what I'm talking about.

Pacivilwarluke
08-12-2015, 09:48 PM
Very cool! Some excellent buttons. :congrats:

That site looks snakey. Watch where you step!

ths k God I didn't see any, they tend to stay I the line forests around here but you never know. HH!

Isaac
08-12-2015, 10:37 PM
It's just a bad time to hunt down here. Lol.

OxShoeDrew
08-13-2015, 12:53 PM
Yikes! ...and I worry about yellow jackets. :shocked03:
I'd love to find a complete ball button one of these days :envious:
Hey Luke, what is that 3rd pic? Nice job!

Pacivilwarluke
08-13-2015, 02:27 PM
Yikes! ...and I worry about yellow jackets. :shocked03:
I'd love to find a complete ball button one of these days :envious:
Hey Luke, what is that 3rd pic? Nice job!

Thanks! It is a crown VR ( Victoria Regina, so from queen Victoria's reign) lock cover

Bell-Two
08-13-2015, 08:09 PM
I really like the buttons!

Pacivilwarluke
08-13-2015, 09:09 PM
Used naval jelly to clean up the ball button, impressed with the silver!!:cool: This southern ground is good to relics!