PDA

View Full Version : Lets Be Franc

OxShoeDrew
08-13-2015, 12:28 PM
I've found lots of French related items this summer. :yes: This Franc coin spill is the latest. I understand why we dig foreign coins from the colonial period but what I can't figure out is why we dig them from around the turn of the century. I've dug multiple British and French coins from this time period...did people still use them in New England 100 yrs ago?

Anyone see what that is on that two-piece button? I wonder if it wasn't a three piece button and that was some kind of connecting material. The merc is a bent 1943.
Thanks!!:grin:
PS The ant is pointing at a rock that rang up as a perfect 77 (brass button). It didn't sound like any hot rock. It isn't magnetic. Maybe spent coal?

Restoring Your Finds
08-13-2015, 12:31 PM
Congrats ! Those francs are silver !

Bucknut
08-13-2015, 02:29 PM
Those are some cool foreign coins!

del
08-13-2015, 03:02 PM
those Francs were probably brought home from the first World War , a returning G.I. as momentos or as regular change he received on leave in France and really couldn't spend it here in the states when he came home .

the rock could be natural graphite lead , theres lots of it around in our area Drew , some was mined to help forge in iron weapon making during colonial and Civil war eras.

OxShoeDrew
08-13-2015, 03:07 PM
Thanks guys!
those Francs were probably brought home from the first World War , a returning G.I. as momentos or as regular change he received on leave in France and really couldn't spend it here in the states when he came home .Wow, that sounds very plausible.
I've never found any of that graphite lead. This is VERY light. Thanks Dan :notworthy:

MangoAve
08-13-2015, 04:32 PM
Well. I now know about why those coind would be here. Prob why our old coins would come up rarely, but still sometimes, in EU. Nice silvers. Chappe is cool too. The rock does look like coal but I can't tell u how many times I have found coal while digging and it never made my machine ring. Idk..

Bell-Two
08-13-2015, 08:06 PM
That is a nice bit of French accent of coinage!

aloldstuff
08-13-2015, 08:12 PM
Some nice coins. Our US merc gets bent while the French coins look perfect.....doesn't seen right to me.....lol
Congrats on the silvers and all those other keepers.

Lodge Scent
08-13-2015, 08:36 PM
Nice digs Drew. No idea what's on that button. Looks like a scorpion :)

Yep, that's graphite. I've found pieces at old sites that have been filed to easily fit in the hand to use as some sort writing or marking implement.

del
08-13-2015, 09:12 PM
finding lead graphite in areas of Ct. is not uncommon and I heard it was commonly used ingredient in the cannon and cannon ball making forges in an around Stafford.

Skamaniac
08-14-2015, 12:14 AM
Those francs are looking pretty good for their age. Nice finds!

Pacivilwarluke
08-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Those francs are very cool, I like the theory that they were brought home after the war. Your button is a sportsmans button proably 1850s or so, they sometimes have hunting scenes and animals on them, I can't exaxtly make it out. Very nice digs, the shoe buckle piece is nice!