PDA

View Full Version : Another Awesome Colonial Hunt!

Pennsylvania Treasures
08-16-2015, 05:31 PM
Today my dad and I got up early and went out to do some detecting. We first stopped at a house built in 1798 and hit the field next to it. I found a beautiful bell which I'll now call the "Jesus Bell"! Never seen one like it before! After that the finds only consisted of some horse shoes. We then moved on to another property that the owner told us was built in the 1820's but due to the finds I'm pretty sure there was a 1780's era house on the site before and they built the 1820's house on top of it. I found a Colonial Shoe Buckle Frame, a Colonial Horse Saddle Decoration that I thought was a cufflink but I am still happy with it, and last but not least my first ever Connecticut Copper! It was only 4 inches deep! Also found some other wheats. I'll be going back!

del
08-16-2015, 06:08 PM
some fantastic finds PT , nice large shoe buckle frame (its late 1700's era) , the bell is very interesting and unique and congrats on the Connecticut copper , it looks like a 1787 variety.

Dan

Pacivilwarluke
08-16-2015, 06:08 PM
It was like only 5 minutes after you shot me a text of the frame that you sent me that CT! WOW! It's a realy nice looking one man, and being the brass thingy it has the pin like stud it reminds me of leather or trunk decoration. Great hunt man, the floodgates are now open!!!

Pennsylvania Treasures
08-16-2015, 06:43 PM
some fantastic finds PT , nice large shoe buckle frame (its late 1700's era) , the bell is very interesting and unique and congrats on the Connecticut copper , it looks like a 1787 variety.

Dan
Thanks Dan! Also thanks for narrowing down the date for me!

Pennsylvania Treasures
08-16-2015, 06:45 PM
It was like only 5 minutes after you shot me a text of the frame that you sent me that CT! WOW! It's a realy nice looking one man, and being the brass thingy it has the pin like stud it reminds me of leather or trunk decoration. Great hunt man, the floodgates are now open!!!
Thanks Luke! Can't believe it's in the condition it is!

del
08-16-2015, 06:55 PM
it looks like it has some nice detail and color under the dirt , if it were mine i would soak it in water for about a half hour then place it very close under a heat lamp or high wattage flood light for about 30 minutes to an hour and see if that crust peeled up off the coin on its own. this is the least intrusive or damaging way to get it off.

Lodge Scent
08-16-2015, 07:08 PM
Wow! Some great finds! That bell is cool. :congrats:

Pennsylvania Treasures
08-16-2015, 08:11 PM
it looks like it has some nice detail and color under the dirt , if it were mine i would soak it in water for about a half hour then place it very close under a heat lamp or high wattage flood light for about 30 minutes to an hour and see if that crust peeled up off the coin on its own. this is the least intrusive or damaging way to get it off.

Just sent you a PM

Pennsylvania Treasures
08-16-2015, 08:12 PM
Wow! Some great finds! That bell is cool. :congrats:

Thanks man!

MangoAve
08-17-2015, 07:19 AM
Nice hunt.. Nice Copper and buckle. Conrgats. Now I see why you call the bell a Jesus bell..
Was there any addition to the 1820's house? If so then I would say the later date was just used. However it is a possibility that the coin just happened to be in their possession. There was obvi a cabin site before the house was built. I don't think it is implausible that a 30-33 year old coin be in someone's possession before it was dropped. How many of these old coins were worn thin before they were dropped..? The worn coins would just happen to have been in circulation for something like 60+ years.
Obvi you can see how the buckle was lost. It was bent inward as well as the pin breaking. Most only have the pin break.

wisconsin digger
08-17-2015, 04:06 PM
That's some amazing finds.WD

OxShoeDrew
08-17-2015, 04:33 PM
Very interesting bell! Nice spot you have there, keep at it!

Mr. Digger
08-17-2015, 08:34 PM
Love all the Colonial finds! Congrats!