PDA

View Full Version : More from the farm

Digger_O'Dell
08-16-2015, 09:08 PM
I didn't have much time for searching the past few days as I had a side job to work this weekend. But I was able to get out for about an hour before work tonight and had some interesting finds. One is the red "reflector" looking thing that I think I remember seeing a similar one posted about recently. One of my coworkers identified it as a clearance light from the 30's as his grandfather had them on his old trucks. Also found my first spoon (incomplete), and some kind of tag. I can't make out most of the writing unfortunately. Also found another shotgun brass from the late 20's to early 30's, and 99 cents in clad.
One thing I did locate was the old well. It's currently just a deep round depression filled with large rocks, but I plan on spending a bit more time in that area.

Unfortunately due to someone being out indefinitely at work, I will be working 6 or 7 twelve hour days a week which severely limits detecting time.

groundhog53946
08-16-2015, 10:40 PM
Good hunt for an hour. Good thing is that all the nectar will be waiting for you when you are able to get out

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Digger_O'Dell
08-16-2015, 10:52 PM
Thanks! I have already spent many hours in this area and haven't found nearly as much as one would expect, and so far have been quite disappointed with the age of most finds for the age of the farm. All of the coins are from around the mid 70's or newer. Can't justify this unless it's been detected before, or maybe the area has been landscaped and scraped pretty much clean over the years. Some areas have so many nails and other scrap it's nearly impossible to detect except with great difficulty and even then it's unlikely anything good would be found. So out of the main yard areas and off to more remote ends and spots of heavy trees and other growth. Once the fields of soybeans are harvested I'll have about another 45 acres to hit!

OxShoeDrew
08-17-2015, 05:34 PM
That sure is a lot of targets in a short time! I look forward to your posts when the fields are cleared.

groundhog53946
08-18-2015, 02:15 PM
There is the remains of an old field stone house here at the campground but like your area there is a carpet of nails from the roofers when they did the old house next to that one that makes it pretty tough. I go over there and try because I know there has to be something good so I keep trying

Bell-Two
08-18-2015, 03:43 PM
Keep at it and the really great stuff will come!

Digger_O'Dell
08-18-2015, 06:34 PM
There is the remains of an old field stone house here at the campground but like your area there is a carpet of nails from the roofers when they did the old house next to that one that makes it pretty tough. I go over there and try because I know there has to be something good so I keep trying

The best advice I can give there is to go slow and listen for the high tones between the trash/nails. Pretty much dig anything that may even sound iffy. I know it's a lot of work, and probably dog more nails and trash than anything else but eventually the trash will clear out some and the better stuff will come out of the ground. Like I posted above, I have that issue myself although so much of my digging area looks to have been terraformed over the years. I have a lot of packed gravel and concrete right under the top soil, and other areas are where old outbuildings were razed with little or nothing remaining but nails and other scrap. The rest of the open areas oddly have little or nothing, not even making the slightest beep on all metal. I don't think I've seen anything so sterile of any kind of metal, especially so close to old structures and a fairly busy old road.