PDA

View Full Version : Hay Cut 1749 KG

OxShoeDrew
08-20-2015, 01:16 PM
I drove by one of my fields this morning to see how low the grass was and it had just been cut :cheesysmile: This is a 20ish acre field that has been plowed as late as a few years ago. Age does not determine how deep targets are at this place. I've dug dandies at an inch and Shell gas tokens at six inches. I've dug many IHs/wheats/buttons/buckles here but never a large copper...until this morning. :loveit:
A meaty 1749 KG2 as I worked my way back to my car.
Also a good looking 1910 wheat and some D buckles (which sound like dimes :bummer:) Thanks!

MangoAve
08-20-2015, 01:30 PM
Dang Drew, that's a sweet copper. Even has a clear date on it. I wonder why those D buckles sound like dimes on your machine. But then again I don't have your machine. I did say pennies read real close on the GTI so its kinda hard to distinguish (unless it's border line reading and you are at a cellar. Um but that's not always fool proof. People do hike those old roads.) D buckles to me are close to buttons and a bit above zincolns on the TR. We'll see soon tho having a VDI 0-99, kinda like yours.

OxShoeDrew
08-20-2015, 01:56 PM
Thanks Jim, I think the roundness of the buckle brings the VDI up a hair and the pinpointing shape of it makes me think it's a dime. I don't know... but 2plus tones on the T2 allows me to hear the shape, and it reminds me of a dime. Ox knobs make me think I'm digging a copper for some reason. :dontknow:
I called the KG today though :lol: I envisioned a matron, so I was off by a little.

Pennsylvania Treasures
08-20-2015, 05:20 PM
Killer Copper! Beautiful details!!!

del
08-20-2015, 05:26 PM
i've seen a lot of that year hold up pretty well , nice coin Drew !!

Digger_O'Dell
08-20-2015, 06:18 PM
WOW, awesome copper find! As for the D-rings, I would not have a clue why it rang up like a dime-my machine had been giving me some way off VDI readings on common items like Lincoln cents coming up like dimes or a tiny chain showing a -4 (iron). :shocked01:

Bell-Two
08-20-2015, 08:27 PM
I don't think that I have ever seen a better one dug lovely KG!

Mountaindigger
08-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Outstanding cooper. Congratulations!

Pacivilwarluke
08-20-2015, 08:46 PM
Whoa drew you dug a looker! Your year is outstanding! Very beautiful!

MangoAve
08-21-2015, 06:26 AM
Ox knobs make me think I'm digging a copper for some reason.
I called the KG today though

....Wait. Isn't this a contradiction? Lol. Yes those ox knobs do sound pretty sweet, however.
Maybe it is the shape. I might have to go check my buckles to what they read specifically. I don't exactly know if it was in the 50s or 60s range for me. But Idk how many times steel washers sound just like coins...due to the shape. Plus it depends a little where you put it into pinpoint mode, how close it is to metal or actual target, that has an effect on the pinpoint size. You can make the target look smaller by where you put it into pinpoint...so it looks like a dime size target.

i've seen a lot of that year hold up pretty well
I have not noticed with the KG II. Todd had a Matron he pulled up that was in great shape. I mentioned there must be a different alloy for that specific year, but I never actually found any info indicating such. There has to be a reason why certain years hold up better and for enough get pulled up looking that way to make the distinction.

OxShoeDrew
08-21-2015, 06:56 AM
Thanks everyone! Yeah, I don't know Jim and Digger O'Dell, but those small buckles sound and VDI like coins on the T2. I just ran those buckles and a dime under my coil to make sure I wasn't crazy and everything was an exact 83. In the dirt they are more like an 80 though.

Bucknut
08-21-2015, 06:59 AM
Congrats on that copper! Very meaty indeed.

Tony Two-Cent
08-21-2015, 07:05 AM
Now that is one beautiful copper! :smitten:

Great detail on both sides of the coin, and a clear date.

You are definitely on a hot streak, Drew! Enjoy the ride! :thumbsup02:

:congrats:

Lodge Scent
08-21-2015, 03:42 PM
Drew that is one of the finer looking KG's that I have seen come out of the ground :perfect10:

The Rebel
08-21-2015, 07:17 PM
Dang Drew. That's one fine copper. Love the detail. I think you've had the best season here in CT. Can you please leave some for us :beerbuddy:

Bell-Two
08-21-2015, 08:27 PM
I have not noticed with the KG II. Todd had a Matron he pulled up that was in great shape. I mentioned there must be a different alloy for that specific year, but I never actually found any info indicating such. There has to be a reason why certain years hold up better and for enough get pulled up looking that way to make the distinction.

i too don't know about the KG's but the Matrons made after The War of 1812 used planchets imported from England which were of a very good quality so those late teens Matrons tend to hold up well.

CTTodd
08-22-2015, 08:48 PM
Sweet copper
Nice one

MangoAve
08-24-2015, 07:13 AM
i too don't know about the KG's but the Matrons made after The War of 1812 used planchets imported from England which were of a very good quality so those late teens Matrons tend to hold up well.

At least I know I'm not going crazy. haha. Jk. Maybe I should say at least my memory still works well.

OxShoeDrew
08-24-2015, 02:56 PM
You are definitely on a hot streak, Drew! Enjoy the ride! :thumbsup02:

Thanks all, well school started today so the "ride" is over :lol: Exit to the left, mind the gap!

donald sutphin
08-24-2015, 11:19 PM
George is a nice find.