PDA

View Full Version : Best of both worlds?

Digger_O'Dell
08-22-2015, 03:54 AM
Hi All,
I was scouting around the web looking for other options for metal detecting machines, maybe something that could even top the CTX 3030. With the idea of maybe some sort of 3D visualization technology I came across the OKM Evolution. It's a combination between a standard VLF detector and 3D ground scanner.

http://www.okmmetaldetectors.com/products/evolution.php?lang=en
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/products/professional/1158-3275/evolution

Seems to be a pretty good price for what it does, seeing as it can also find non metallic items like old bottles and such plus other ground anomalies to a depth of about 5M (~16 feet)! Guess you might need a bigger shovel...:lol:

Is this what the next generation of treasure seekers will be using?

49610 49609

OxShoeDrew
08-22-2015, 07:28 AM
I know very little about this so please remember this is just my possibly ignorant opinion.
I looked into OKM a few years ago Digger and I couldn't find any reviews or opinions on their products. None of their videos ever showed what the ground looked like on the computer screen. Their ads say how ergonomic and blue toothy the products were but never what you can expect to see when you are detecting. Even in their video manuals they'd go through how to send it to your PC but never show you the pics and how to interpret them. I assumed that the technology wasn't quite there yet. I can't understand why nobody has produced a detector that can truly see, and accurately reproduce on a screen, non-ferrous items in the dirt.
Maybe this new Evolution works well but that pic still looks rather crude. I wonder if that represents one coin in the dirt. Imagine 30 old nails around it, and for $5,000.
Imagine when they finally get it right :daydream: It will be like when they first put disc on detectors.

Digger_O'Dell
08-22-2015, 06:21 PM
I have noticed that issue with not really showing much as live video, but there is some. They also offer a live scan machine that plots on the screen as you walk, but that machine is twice the price and does not have the VLF detector integrated with it. Still looks like it could be a really great secondary deep scanner machine once the price comes down.

I also found another company that has this kind of technology-Nokta- with the live scan and VLF metal detector integration for about $5000 with both big and small coils (large and small targets respectively). Looks to me like it's still in emerging technology, but something I think may take hold and become more popular as it gets better and the price comes down.

Digger_O'Dell
08-23-2015, 01:21 AM
Update: Found a video of a couple guys using a Makro detector/scanner. After 10 hours digging guy pulls out an aluminum radiator from 6 feet down. Don't know if that really qualifies as a relic, but seems like a giant pull tab in my book! lol But, just shows the technology does work. ;)

del
08-23-2015, 09:50 AM
Update: Found a video of a couple guys using a Makro detector/scanner. After 10 hours digging guy pulls out an aluminum radiator from 6 feet down. Don't know if that really qualifies as a relic, but seems like a giant pull tab in my book! lol But, just shows the technology does work. ;)

you could have the same results with a $800 dollar two box machine .

MangoAve
08-24-2015, 07:08 AM
Yeah, I agree that the technology isn't quite there yet. Two shows I watched seemed like they were similar in nature to this machine. One show they used was a laser scanner which scans large areas (but surface areas) accurately and then this mass of data went to a computer for processing. The processing took a while as well. They used it for scanning how ancient people carved huge monuments. The other show was in search for a lost ship which sunk during Lincoln's presidency on the Mississippi. (The show also put some controversy implying he would have been impeached if he didn't get shot during his second term) They had to drag a cart up and down this field (which also shows how rivers could change in a 150 years even if you are expecting to find treasures buried near one). Again all this data went to a computer for processing. The concept is good, but it needs to be done in real time. Like an ultrasound machine, the pic you see on the screen is whatever is underneath the coil at the time. I can't see scanning an area, processing the info via a computer, which would be another thing to carry around, and try to go back and find all these targets. Esp you need a machine to pinpoint where you will dig. Scanning an area, going to a comp, and then coming back hoping that info translates to an accurate spot which you can go directly to....

Digger_O'Dell
08-24-2015, 06:02 PM
Yes, real time scanning is an important feature in the type of hunting we would be doing. The deep ground scanning is not, but there are a couple machines out there that do real time scanning on a smaller scale and at less depth. One even goes to your smart phone for live viewing and processing. But the problem is that these real time machines are quite expensive-around 10 grand!