PDA

View Full Version : Please Don't Judge Me...

chief5709
08-25-2015, 04:27 AM
I have a confession... I watched Digger's last night. I know, I know... but it was filmed in my town and had to watch. Besides, I'm friends with the town historian who was featured in the episode. Their first location, the Marshall house, is less than a mile from my house.

Digger_O'Dell
08-25-2015, 04:33 AM
I have to admit I've watched a couple episodes on youtube myself. It's just for the entertainment factor when I'm stuck at work when I would rather be out detecting. But, it's gotta be interesting to see your town and places you are familiar with on TV. Even better if it's not the national news! LOL

lee
08-25-2015, 06:26 AM
i watch it all the time !!!!! in fact i record it :grin::grin::shocked01:

del
08-25-2015, 07:31 AM
Brian please tell us they got skunked at one of your old stompin grounds .:lol:

chief5709
08-25-2015, 07:47 AM
Brian please tell us they got skunked at one of your old stompin grounds .:lol:

Long story short... I was contacted by their producer last year looking for "locations of interest" for back up in case a property owner backed out. I was like really you want me to give up my spots...

They found the typical musketballs, couple coppers, etc. My daughter was watching with me and she looked over with a dead serious face "are you kidding me, I found two musketballs and a LC and I was only 10" But, it was neat to see your town and Sean (the historian is a friend of mine) on tv.

Mountaindigger
08-25-2015, 08:58 AM
I watch it often.

Skamaniac
08-27-2015, 01:30 AM
I watch it too. I like it better now that they openly use an archaeologist to document the finds. I could do without the monkey shenanigans when they find something really cool though. And they're not shy about digging pretty big holes. Must be to speed the process along. The places the producers find for them to hunt are fascinating.

chief5709
08-28-2015, 06:56 AM
Here's a link to the Marshall House. There is a lot of history and one of only three buildings still standing from that time period.

http://themarshallhouse.org/

Just think it almost burned down in the late 1990's. I was on the first due engine for a basement fire there. I knew the history of the house was significant and my crew did a great job of not only putting out the fire but also minimizing the water and smoke damage. It was kinda surreal working in the dark smoke filled basement knowing what took place there in 1777...

Skamaniac
08-28-2015, 07:17 AM
What a great link. I knew nothing of any of this so it was a fascinating read.

Lodge Scent
08-28-2015, 08:16 PM
I would judge you harshly for your depravity, but I have to admit guilt my self ;)

I agree 100% with Ska. The use of the archaeologist makes it more watchable. They seem a lot less dopey. I don't swear at the TV nearly as much as I used to when I watched them in the past.

It's is cool they came to your town though.

del
08-29-2015, 09:30 AM
They at one time (maybe a couple of years ago) had their "PR" people talking to someone at the Pequot Museum here in Connecticut where I had been active in a few projects. Well ,Their executives were interested in the progress and history of the project and interested in having a show taped at one of the 1637 Pequot War Battle sites with "Ringy and KG". A few of the upper Museum staff asked a couple of us hobbyist that they respected what we thought , we all agreed it would probably be a huge mistake and that not only did they discredit us on some levels but they could also do this to the archaeologists or the project. The museum turned them down .

Dan

Fire Fighter 43
08-30-2015, 08:58 PM
I have to say I'm not a big fan but a coworker at the firehouse reminded me that there was a couple new episodes coming on. So I tuned in and caught the episodes that were mentioned above. I also like the new format with the archeologists on site, now if they could just stop the silly antics.

RaZR
09-01-2015, 01:21 PM
The antics are necessary to "liven" things up a bit. Imagine how boring a show about your last hunt would be! A half hour program showcasing my two I.H. day and pouch full of pulltabs and beaver tails would not last for a second show. :)

My biggest problem with the original shows was the values they put on the finds. They were way off base. I notice that now they are using the waterproof pinpointers too.

del
09-01-2015, 02:30 PM
The antics are necessary to "liven" things up a bit. Imagine how boring a show about your last hunt would be! A half hour program showcasing my two I.H. day and pouch full of pulltabs and beaver tails would not last for a second show. :)

True but these shows usually have a week or more to video finds at some premium sites and locations , you and I would have a lot of good things to show off in a week of straight time detecting RaZR . the antics are stupid and a gimmick for the people with little knowledge of what we do .

My biggest problem with the original shows was the values they put on the finds. They were way off base. I notice that now they are using the waterproof pinpointers too.

I agree completely with you there , the very unrealistic over price on everything they found was embarrassing to the hobby.

RaZR
09-01-2015, 06:47 PM
True but these shows usually have a week or more to video finds at some premium sites and locations , you and I would have a lot of good things to show off in a week of straight time detecting RaZR .

Maybe you could, my weeks worth would still be pretty lame. :lol:

I would love the chance to detect where I might find a 1600-1700 coin. What's your backyard look like?

leslie(nova scotia)
09-02-2015, 05:22 PM
Great for the town. Watched that Rick savage fellow a few times......Lord love a duck youz I just had to shake me head!

Lodge Scent
09-09-2015, 11:55 AM
I caught the Digger's show again the other night. They were detecting around a WWII German POW camp somewhere in GA or LA I think. It was an interesting program but they went and ruined it with their silly antics. I think it is at the point where even THEY are embarrassed by it.