PDA

View Full Version : CT Nat Guard Button

OxShoeDrew
09-02-2015, 03:45 PM
I found this button a few years ago not 30 yrds from my front door. The button is in such pristine condition that I jumped at the first hint of a modern history. At the time I labeled it as 1913...I think because that was the first year of our modern national guard...but I'm not even sure of that. After I found a CT civil war officer's button last week I took this other one out and dig some internet digging. The Ridgeway site says that this button is another CW officer's button. These units were formed to shore up the existing units...(?) The back mark is Scovill Mfg Co Waterbury. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :notworthy:

SeabeeRon
09-02-2015, 04:35 PM
Can't help with any info, but wanted to say that is one great looking button!

fyrffytr1
09-02-2015, 09:14 PM
Beautiful button. I found the following information in Tice's reference book;
"Connecticut National Guard, high convex, three pece.
In 1865, Connecticut started to modernize venerable county militia organizations into National Guard units. Most of the common buttons used by these units were made shortly after the Civil War."

Your button is listed as CT210A1 in Tice's book and CT20 in Albert's book.
CT210A1
A. The device is an old English CNG where the G has two vertical lines. 22mm diameter.
1. "SCOVILL MF'G,/WATERBURY." dm (depressed mark) with small letters between two rings of dots.

OxShoeDrew
09-03-2015, 04:10 AM
Thanks for the great information! :notworthy:

Skamaniac
09-03-2015, 11:45 PM
That looks like fell off yesterday. Great find!

del
09-10-2015, 02:11 AM
yes great button Drew

Beautiful button. I found the following information in Tice's reference book;
"Connecticut National Guard, high convex, three pece.
In 1865, Connecticut started to modernize venerable county militia organizations into National Guard units. Most of the common buttons used by these units were made shortly after the Civil War."

Your button is listed as CT210A1 in Tice's book and CT20 in Albert's book.
CT210A1
A. The device is an old English CNG where the G has two vertical lines. 22mm diameter.
1. "SCOVILL MF'G,/WATERBURY." dm (depressed mark) with small letters between two rings of dots.

Awesome info fyrffytr1 :cheering: