PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Week at the Beach Results - Silver & Gold

z118
07-18-2010, 11:34 AM
We arrived back home on Saturday from a week's vacation at the beach. This is the third year we have taken this vacation - it's a great time for the family and I won't lie - the detecting is something I look forward to all year. Beyond the great possible finds and easy digging being on the beach in the early morning hours is peaceful and beautiful. You folks near the sea shore are a lucky bunch!

So... long story short... I dug fewer coins than either of the past two years BUT I scored 3 pieces of silver, what I assume is a tungsten ring, and the biggest honking gold ring I have ever dug!!! - a huge 14k wedding band. I can not wait to get to work tomorrow to weigh this thing. I believe I was VERY lucky to have passed my coil over this piece of gold!

During my past two vacations at the beach I mostly stuck to the dry sand because the finds were so good there, including great clad numbers, but this year finds were more sparse so I migrated down to the wet sand, which is where I scored one of the silver rings and the gold ring. The gold ring gave a huge signal and took a bunch of scoops to retrieve - I almost gave up at one point, thinking it was a big deep piece of junk.

I took the meter off the Sov at the start of the week. I wanted as light a detector as possible, and when your intention is to dig everything anyway, the meter really does not serve a purpose if you think about it. Oddly enough, I did not miss it after a day or two, and in fact I think I'll try the dirt here at home for a few hunts without it. The Sov ran beautifully all week. I'm able to turn the sensitivity up MUCH farther at this beach than I can anywhere at home in the dirt. It ran smooth as silk in the dry sand, in the wet sand, and in the surf.

I was rained out one morning. The weather otherwise was good but not really hot enough most days to draw big crowds to the beach. I saw only one sunrise all week as fog and clouds obscured it every other morning. There was no shortage of other detectorists - the most I counted at one time was 11 other than myself. I spoke with a few, but mostly they all seem to keep to themselves. It's easy to spot the regulars from the folks on vacation or just trying the hobby out.

Total coins was 252 worth $25.62 which includes a nice '31 wheat and a British penny. Other finds included some junk jewelry, a key, a 1971 matchbox car, and the usual trinkets and junk. There were two nitro finds -a gold colored claddagh bracelet and a small gold colored earing - both are apparently junk. There was one particularly odd and impactful find, which turned out to be a small keepsake urn for ashes. It was a somber find. I took care of it in a manner I felt most repectful, rational, and appropriate.

Anyway... that's my week. I'm already looking forward to next year, but of course it will be nice to get back into the dirt here at home.

coinnut
07-18-2010, 05:04 PM
What a great vacation, I want one lol Sounds very relaxing and fun too. Some awsome finds there. Congrats on the silver and Fort Knox ring lol What an odd find with the urn :confused: I know the reason they buried it, but surely they should have know it would be found. If I found it I would probably find the highest upper bank of sand and bury that about 3 feet deep, so the chance of it being found would be less. Well at least some of the cost of your equipment was paid for with that hunt ;) :clapping:

angellionel
07-18-2010, 08:40 PM
You had yourself one very enjoyable vacation. :yes: Man, that is one heavy looking gold ring. :shocked01: And the silver isn't bad either. thumbsup01 Congrats!

z118
07-19-2010, 06:21 AM
I weighed the gold ring this morning --- 9.5 grams! :cheesysmile: :cheesysmile: :cheesysmile:

Snowy
07-19-2010, 06:44 AM
I weighed the gold ring this morning --- 9.5 grams! :cheesysmile: :cheesysmile: :cheesysmile:

That makes it worth $210 in scrap for today's market.

catskillcomics
07-19-2010, 07:10 AM
Great Weekend Z! $200 bucks in gold, silver rings and $25 in clad, Heck I'd take that. Personally, I probably wouldn't go detecting with all those people around.. Its not that I don't like crowds, just the people in the crowds rofl

... and you did a good thing with that Urn.. something I wouldn't want to find.

Epi-hunter
07-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Wow, those are some great finds!!! Congrats!!

An urn? :shocked04: With the contents still inside? :shocked04:

z118
07-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Personally, I probably wouldn't go detecting with all those people around.. Its not that I don't like crowds, just the people in the crowds rofl

Most of my hunting was done between 4:30 am and maybe 8:30 am. I hunted once in the evening on a rainy day. I'm not one for the crowds either. I'm amazed to see other guys swinging in the middle of the day right next to folks sunbathing on a crowded day.

An urn? :shocked04: With the contents still inside? :shocked04:

The baggie inside was ripped and sand had gotten in the jar. My best guess is that the urn was used to transport ashes to the beach where they were spread, and then the urn was discarded. But again, that's just my best guess. You can see what the urn looks like new here:

http://www.memorials.com/Cremation-U...mation-Urn.php

Ill Digger
07-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Now thats a chunk of gold!! And probably the biggest silver ear ring I've ever seen :shocked04:
I take it the tungsten ring is the black one? :dontknow:
I don't think I could've watched a meter anyways :drool: lol
Awesome haul!!
Congrats :grin: