PDA

View Full Version : Past few hunts yield a few keepers

BTV Digger
09-06-2015, 08:37 PM
Hi all,

Been a few weeks since I've posted, or commented with large home projects, family vacation and kids back to middle school/high school etc. Things have begun to settle down a bit now. As a result I've also only had a few times to get out and hunt over the past month or so, but in retrospect not a huge deal since the heat of summer is really hanging on late here in the old country. Managed to hit an old school site (long gone, just a depression in the woods) and some of the many old rock wall-lined fields from my favorite 600 acre park here in town. Managed to find several keepers. Nothing astonishing or too old (late 1800s/early 1900s stuff mainly) but did nab an 1884 IH, 1913 wheat, my first steel penny, and a brief heart stopper - a 1951 aluminum/bronze 10 Franc coin which had me going for a second. Oldest item was probably the pewter button. Bottles are all early 20th century and nothing special, but I liked the colors/shapes...so I kept 'em. My favorite three items were 1) the old Addison County Fair tag from when the big event was actually in Middlebury, VT (probably turn of the century - things with writing on them always rank high on my MD list), 2) the wooden pocket knife in surprisingly good shape, and 3) the "Kant Krack" embossed fruit canning jar glass lid. Thanks for looking and best regards.

John

OxShoeDrew
09-06-2015, 11:26 PM
John, I found a 5 centime this summer and after I brought it home and started cleaning it the gold color came through. I nearly collapsed :lol: I ran it under my coil again just to check. I love that fair tag...was it for animals? Congrats!

Skamaniac
09-07-2015, 12:47 AM
The knife does look pretty good, doesn't it? The tag is cool too.

Lodge Scent
09-07-2015, 08:00 AM
Nice mix of finds there John. I like finding terrets, especially ones that have wear from the reins. That is a cool tag....wonder what it was used for? Judging items?

BTV Digger
09-07-2015, 09:27 AM
John, I found a 5 centime this summer and after I brought it home and started cleaning it the gold color came through. I nearly collapsed :lol: I ran it under my coil again just to check. I love that fair tag...was it for animals? Congrats!

Thanks Drew. I would guess it's an animal tag but alas I'm not a fair tag expert! My guess on age is purely that, a guess, but the style of numbering would suggest early 20th century/turn of the century.

BTV Digger
09-07-2015, 09:30 AM
Nice mix of finds there John. I like finding terrets, especially ones that have wear from the reins. That is a cool tag....wonder what it was used for? Judging items?

Thanks Jeff. I would guess an animal tag yes, but that's just a guess. The terret/reign guide was literally an inch deep and is still quite shiny. Design would also place it early 20th century/late 19th...not too much older than that.

Bell-Two
09-07-2015, 08:22 PM
Good finds the fair tag is really neat!