PDA

View Full Version : Some relics with friends - 9/6

Trooper Bri
09-07-2015, 10:06 PM
Got an invite Saturday to do some detecting up in Mass on Sunday with a few folks I've gotten to know on FB.

Our 1'st stop was a freshly hayed field, maybe 4 acres. We spent maybe a couple hours on it. Not a ton of good targets there, but I managed a busted crotal bell (still waiting to scratch it off my bucket list), and a toasted button with a some sunburst looking detail remaining.
After that we moved into the woods to get out of the sun, a huge farm site. The lower area with the cellar hole and barn area was polluted with trash, but the fields up the hill a bit were large, and had some leveling done to them. That was our 2'nd stop.

I began wandering to see how it was laid out. Found the indents from the cart path, and worked some walls. The place has been hit but I managed a button and some some other junk. Finally found what I was looking for in the rear of the field we started in. Nails in a small flat area. The complete harmonica reed came out of it 1'st, and the copper shortly after. It's toast, but I can see Britannia on the back, and possibly a left facing bust on the obv side.
I kept beating up the area and managed another button, and some other crunk. My friend Mark dug a 2'nd mystery copper with Britannia maybe 20ft from mine.

These fields got mostly taken over by pines, so what we dug isn't pretty. One of my buttons is encased with something akin to concrete. A brass brush after a day of soaking got maybe 1/3 of it. I can see some backmark on it now. This weekend also marks 1 year since buying my V3i. It can be grumpy at times, but it's nice to finally have a familiarity with it. I've got to put it down and try the MXT in the woods soon.

Skamaniac
09-07-2015, 10:35 PM
I like the bell, mostly because they're really hard to come by around these parts. One of those is on my bucket list for sure.

The Rebel
09-08-2015, 12:35 PM
You did a great job! Love the digs!

Lodge Scent
09-08-2015, 04:20 PM
Some interesting finds. More to come from that site I am sure.

BTV Digger
09-08-2015, 04:50 PM
Nice job Brian. Yes, those finds among the pine trees often come out looking on the rough side. Have you tried using a toothpick on some of the encrustation? I know that's worked well for me at times.

John

OxShoeDrew
09-08-2015, 06:20 PM
I agree with John. From the pic it looks like there's some details under that crust on the copper but we're only looking at a pic. Nice well rounded hunt!

Bell-Two
09-09-2015, 07:29 PM
Bunch of nice finds and nice to have new friends to hunt with.