PDA

View Full Version : relics for the day

del
09-12-2015, 10:28 PM
Nice nice "fall-like" day here in Ct. and detecting with a couple of great gentlemen , couldn't ask for anything much better.

Drew thanks for the invite , Brian and I stayed for maybe another hour of two then went down the road and hit the next two sites.

My take for the day ... besides more then a dozen shotgun shells , rifle casings and modern lead slugs!!

Half a dozen buttons and one that had some nice gilt, a nice heavy silver plated leather "oval mount" decoration .:thumbsup02:

A nice complete "squarish" type knee buckle :happydance01:

thanks again Drew !!:notworthy:

oh and my one coin was a 1940 wheatie :yes:

Digger_O'Dell
09-12-2015, 11:22 PM
Great finds, love that knee buckle and gilt button!

Trooper Bri
09-12-2015, 11:24 PM
Yup, thanks Drew!
Wow. Look at the gold gilt hiding in that button. Nice! That knee buckle was a nice score too. Real curious what that pivoting lever thing is.
It was good getting out with you and Drew again. That was an interesting spot, and it was nice to see everyone walk out with some finds. The smaller ferns are dying out, and some leaves were falling. Here comes autumn.

OxShoeDrew
09-13-2015, 04:03 AM
The buttons had some real gilding left on 'em at that site. That one is distinctive.
Did you try the pin yet on the buckle ? I don't see any rust marks. :crossfingers:

You ever figure out what that conical thing is? Good day all around...hey did you look at a map and see how those roads meet? It's very odd.
Brian didn't post yet? He must have been toothpicking all night :lol:
We'll get back when the vegetation is gone. Congrats!

OxShoeDrew
09-13-2015, 08:18 AM
Hey is that a cravat buckle too?

del
09-13-2015, 10:57 AM
Great finds, love that knee buckle and gilt button!

thanks "DD"

Yup, thanks Drew!
Wow. Look at the gold gilt hiding in that button. Nice! That knee buckle was a nice score too. Real curious what that pivoting lever thing is.
It was good getting out with you and Drew again. That was an interesting spot, and it was nice to see everyone walk out with some finds. The smaller ferns are dying out, and some leaves were falling. Here comes autumn.

Brian , i have no idea what the pivoting lever goes too :dontknow: all i know is it almost fooled me into thinking it was a copper +75 to +78 on the vdi and the tone was almost right on. Thanks again for going and yeah that was a nice little taste of fall like weather , i'm ready :cheering:

The buttons had some real gilding left on 'em at that site. That one is distinctive.
Did you try the pin yet on the buckle ? I don't see any rust marks. :crossfingers:

You ever figure out what that conical thing is? Good day all around...hey did you look at a map and see how those roads meet? It's very odd.
Brian didn't post yet? He must have been toothpicking all night :lol:
We'll get back when the vegetation is gone. Congrats!

the buckle's parts move freely , the cone item might be a tip for a small bellows or pour spout of some kind .yeah when we meet up again make sure its not where 2 routes meet the meet again somewhere else :lol: that was too funny:lol:

I hope Brian made some headway with his coin and it shows a lot of detail I was very happy to see him get a "bucket lister"

Hey is that a cravat buckle too?

the small little buckle is a type of suspender type it actually has an 1854 date stamped into it , it was found at the site by the mill along with the pivot lever.

Lodge Scent
09-13-2015, 07:21 PM
Nice digs Dan. Great little buckle! :congrats:

MangoAve
09-14-2015, 07:40 AM
Nice score Dan. Lol... you say the only coin was a wheat is like an off day for you. Well, it's all luck where you put the coil and many things like soil conditions. That copper was a 53 VDI and slightly erratic on each swing. Two feet from someone else's hole. Goes to show. I'm thinking too, talking to Rog last night that when he says he's done an area but finds stuff when he goes over it again, that it might have to do with gaps in coverage with each swing.
I like that button. To me it almost reminds me of those party items for the club that glow under UV light. Looks round in the full light and diamond shaped when it's reflecting the light toward ya. Grats on the buckle and chappe piece....which I say that chappe piece is quite different. Like a set of brass knuckles... for a baby's hand maybe. lol.

The Rebel
09-14-2015, 09:45 AM
Nice finds Dan. That conical item looks like a Burnside shell casing.

Bell-Two
09-17-2015, 09:00 PM
That is a lovely knee buckle and some nice buttons.......Oh let us not forget the wheatie! :)

BTV Digger
09-18-2015, 05:04 PM
Very nice Dan. Man, I'd love to pull one of those older colonial buckles but so far they've eluded me. Love the oval silvered adornment thingy as well.

John