PDA

View Full Version : Another hunt with the fellas - 9/12

Trooper Bri
09-13-2015, 05:58 PM
Dan and I met up with Drew yesterday to check out a spot he wanted try. Drew's exclamation when we came up on the site that was at the intersection of 5 roads/trails was funny. But we did OK and dug some goodies.

Didn't get a ton of targets under the coil yesterday, but got a couple nice finds from the ones that did. Started along an inside wall next to the cellar hole, and within a couple minutes I get a nice high 50's tone on the V3i. Up comes my first gold gilt button of the year. Plain front with a back mark. J. Mann Imperial Orange, with 630 closer to the shank. Made in Birmingham England between 1800 and 1843. The gilt held onto the back very well, and it cleaned up nicely. Pics don't do it justice (I took a lot of pics trying).

After that it got quiet for me for a while. Alternated between working the field walls near the site and wandering through the fields, until I got to the farthest corner of the fields of this property. Then bang! I got a beautiful 82-83 VDI @ 7 inches down. Oh boy! Up comes a copper. I could see linked rings around the edge and knew what it was right away. My 1'st Fugio! I love the design of these coins, and was hoping this one was going to clean up, but it's toasty. I'll have to preserve it as is, it's flaking a bit.

Other finds at this spot included a tiny cuff/collar button near the Fugio, and what I thought was the tip of a walking stick, Dan believes is an umbrella tip. It looks similar to the one he dug. We left the site not too long after Drew did and stopped at a couple more spots. My only other find was a real clean 1875 Indian. Thanks Drew and Dan, had fun detecting with you guys again!

Lodge Scent
09-13-2015, 07:27 PM
Nice bunch of finds the Bri. Congrats on the Fugio! Not surprised you found one. Those two guys are Fugio magnets.

del
09-14-2015, 02:50 AM
:wow:did that button clean up well :groovy:and the fugio is always a coin that makes anyones year Brian , great find !! you did very well .the Indian was a nice surprise especially on from the 70's .

The Rebel
09-14-2015, 10:24 AM
WTG Brian on the Fugio as well as the other finds. Love that button. I've dug a few that had so much gilt on them it was like they were dropped yesterday.

BTV Digger
09-14-2015, 05:22 PM
Nice finds Brian. I've found many of my best finds along rock walls and away from the cellar holes as well. I always check along those, though the only issue is the leaves and detritus tend to build up deeper there so you have to go slow and kick some of it out of the way from time to time. The IH looks to be in great condition and should clean up nicely with a toothpick. Should be worth several bucks once cleaned up as most of those 1870s IHs are on the more uncommon side.

John

OxShoeDrew
09-14-2015, 05:43 PM
Seems like you have a nice relationship with the V3i! :notworthy:
You know, Brian my first fugio looked very similar to that one. It turned out lots better when I finally got the nerve to take the crud off. The before pic is here-
http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/album.php?albumid=6&attachmentid=35309
I'll take an after pic tomorrow when the sun is up. That IH is wonderful and we all made out with gold colored buttons! We'll do it again soon!
PS I wouldn't take any cleaning advice from me without other opinions :lol:

Bell-Two
09-17-2015, 09:03 PM
Wow Trooper a Fugio is an awesome find plus the other goodies will make this a memory for you.