PDA

View Full Version : Great View

chief5709
09-15-2015, 07:42 AM
Came up empty on an after work hunt with my cousin so I figured I'd share the view from the top of the hill we were detecting. We were hoping to find an old encampment but ran out of daylight.

MangoAve
09-15-2015, 08:00 AM
When I used to do only hiking I would have pix from places like Talcott Ridge. Nice rolling hills in your area. Guess you gotta research it just a tad more. Like I had to do with the place I hit yesterday. Idk if those trees in 1934 were an orchard or evergreens and it seems the field I tried (only two passes for the daylight I had) was the same one used since 1934 and I am going to assume also since 1840. Just gotta try harder but it is a big farm.

del
09-15-2015, 10:17 PM
Nice pictures Brian , Jim !!

Brian I hope you find the encampment , were you looking for it on the top of that hill??

chief5709
09-16-2015, 04:47 AM

Brian I hope you find the encampment , were you looking for it on the top of that hill??

We were chasing some folklore, we detected the fields on the other side of the barn with little success but still have a lot of ground to cover. If anything, maybe, a look out or something on the hill but I doubt the encampment was up there.

Digger_O'Dell
09-16-2015, 05:18 AM
Beautiful area!
Yep, with that much land to cover you might be better off mounting your machine to the front of an ATV and doing laps! :lolsign:

MangoAve
09-16-2015, 06:36 AM
Lol. Thanks Dan. This is what it looked like yesterday.

We were chasing some folklore.... If anything, maybe, a look out or something on the hill but I doubt the encampment was up there.

I gotta get back into the folklore one in my area that I was doing some research on. I am guessing by the question by Dan that an encampment wouldn't have been at the top of a hill. For some reason I thought that it was a better military strategy to hold a higher position. One reason to see the enemy coming. Since I have not searched for an encampment before I cannot add much info. Too bad there wouldn't be any specific iron to lead you there. Maybe just mid-tones for buttons or bullets...

del
09-16-2015, 06:44 AM
nope encampments for armies were usually sat lower on the gentle slopes or near the base of the hills (near a water source) to keep their position concealed , sentries would keep a lookout from the hill tops .

chief5709
09-16-2015, 09:44 AM
Thanks Dan & Mango. That was my thought also, maybe a look out or something. But, my cousin said the owner was pretty persistent about us checking out the top of the hill... Anyway, we've got 98 acres to cover so why not end the day on top. Can't wait till the rest of the fields (not shown to the right in the pix) are hayed.

OxShoeDrew
09-16-2015, 04:21 PM
Good luck searching the rest of the area. Going home empty handed isn't so bad when you get to hunt places like that!

BTV Digger
09-16-2015, 05:07 PM
Good luck on your search. Fields are being cut for haying up here as well so looking forward to getting out with some friends.

Lodge Scent
09-17-2015, 01:17 PM
That is a sweet looking spot there Chief. I suspect something nice will turn up for you.

Skamaniac
09-17-2015, 08:34 PM
Great shots! I hope to make it out east someday soon to see the other side in person.

Bell-Two
09-17-2015, 09:37 PM
A beautiful spot.