PDA

View Full Version : A pic from my hunt with FF43 and a shock from some finds from last year

wisconsin digger
09-17-2015, 04:44 PM
Firefighter43 whooped me good on our hunt Tuesday. he really had a great hunt. Not complaining as its always nice to find silver even if I fell a little short of his standard for the day. Again, thx for taking some time to get together on a hunt Jeff I greatly appreciated the time. On a side note, I got my latest Garret Searcher email and saw a relic someone had found. When I saw it I new I had found two pieces just like it last year at an old school. I dug through my container of unidentified finds and pulled the two buckles out. When I first found them I thought they were old Buckles from a band outfit or something as I found them close together. Both buckles were quite deep so now I am assuming they were lost long before the school was built. (Note, I found a really nice '65 Indian at this site last year as well so maybe this place had some early history) Anyway it turns out these were Civil War Blanket Buckles for rolling and securing a bed blanket the soldiers strapped over their shoulder or on a pack. One is in great shape and the other is a tad flattened. What a nice surprise. I guess I should of posted them last year when I found them. Anyway glad to know now. Keep swinging Wisconsin Digger

BTV Digger
09-17-2015, 05:13 PM
Fantastic buckles! I'd rank those over the merc and rosie any day. They're probably worth more too, though I imagine you're gonna hang onto those for awhile.

John

del
09-17-2015, 05:17 PM
congrats on getting out with Jeff and the finds WD!! Unfortunately some are still mis-identifying these buckles , its true they could as old as Civil War era but they are horse harness related or tack buckles and not "soldier bed roll or blanket " buckles . these were still being used and made well into the 1900's so to get a positive date on them are very difficult and I admit I have found a few myself and know many who have also .

Dan

Digger_O'Dell
09-17-2015, 06:15 PM
Wow, great find with those buckles, and nice to get them identified correctly. Pretty much surprised that they were found here in Wis! I know we had some CW history with the Wisconsin regiment staging at certain points around here including a site that the first Milwaukee courthouse once stood.

MIKE54
09-17-2015, 06:32 PM
Nice surprise and good save on those buckles.

Fire Fighter 43
09-17-2015, 08:35 PM
Thanks Again Dave for a good day of detecting and congrats on the silver. We will do it again soon. The buckles are a cool find, congrats on the discovery of an old find.

wisconsin digger
09-17-2015, 08:36 PM
Del, that certainly makes more sense. Even though they were quite deep they just seemed out of place. Thanks for the update on identification. WD