PDA

View Full Version : Last few weeks: Underground yellowjacket nests, bee stings, and a whole lot of nothin

RIdirtdigger
09-19-2015, 03:53 PM
Gonna keep this brief. Last few weeks have been absolutely horrible on the detecting front. Since September started I have stepped on not one, not two, but three underground wasp nests and been stung 2/3 of the times. It has gotten so bad that I have been nervous to even venture off the trail near the cellar hole for fear of disturbing another nest. Nothing good found either, a few buttons, boring relics, and the usual crap. What's funny is in all my time detecting before I had never once been stung by bees. Now it seems to be a regular occurance. Good news is I've found a few locations that could produce in the fall, once the vegetation dies off and the evil things go away. Its been perhaps my worst streak of luck ever and it seems while everyone else is finding things, I'm stuck coming home with one button and a brass relic. I'm sick of it but I gotta keep going out and just not the let the bees bother me. Hopefully tomorrow will bring me better lucky. Until then Happy hunting.

del
09-19-2015, 05:31 PM
Jim the yellow jackets and hornets are very aggressive this time of year , its the warm days and very cool nights . they know their time to die off is near so they have nasty dispositions :lol: be careful especially from now until the first frost . Don't give up my friend !

CTTodd
09-19-2015, 08:07 PM
Terry I haven't been stung but my results are about the same. Detecting more and more with the temp drops but so far not very rewarding. Hang in there it will come

del
09-19-2015, 08:58 PM
Who's Terry ?? Todd you been at the spirits a bit early today ?? ;)

Digger_O'Dell
09-19-2015, 09:02 PM
Wow, terrible string of luck, but at least you only got stung 2/3 of the time-the bees got stepped on 3/3 times! :lolsign:

Don't worry, things will be right in the kingdom again soon enough! :cool:

OxShoeDrew
09-20-2015, 04:40 AM
It won't be long before the frost James. Hang in there, I hope school is going well for you. Nice to hear you have some potential sites.

BTV Digger
09-20-2015, 06:49 PM
Gotta keep positive Jim. You're luck will turn around soon I bet.

John

Skamaniac
09-21-2015, 01:44 AM
Ground nests are the worst! Sorry to hear about your hunting. It'll turn around though.

MangoAve
09-21-2015, 07:26 AM
I haven't found that in the woods, yet. Only once last year I saw a huge paper wasp nest somewhere between a football and basketball size but it was hanging from a tree. They were still aggressive. They might have been white face hornets. I only had that this summer in my own yard. Turns out I was only digging for one of those gutter clips for the aluminum guards. I thought it might be a nickel, dug down, and all the sudden I see things moving around in the hole I just dug. And it led to 3 stings. They itch like hell for 3 days.

The Rebel
09-21-2015, 12:13 PM
Sorry to hear that happened but it's a good reminder to all of us that this is the time of year they get aggressive.

RIdirtdigger
09-24-2015, 12:35 PM
So far the white faced hornets have been kind to me and have left me alone. Hoping to get out this weekend as the temps will be a lot cooler and I'm itching to try out a few new spots. The bugs are gone (except for the wasps and a few pesky Mosquitos). So hopefully My luck will change

Bell-Two
09-25-2015, 08:27 PM
Well keep safe out there those bees are a pain!

groundhog53946
09-25-2015, 10:10 PM
Hope things turn around for you soon

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Lodge Scent
09-26-2015, 07:13 AM
Those sucky days just make you appreciate the good days even more :thumbsup01:

The wasps will be dying off soon but don't be surprised if the *%&^$# deer ticks start showing up soon. They've been scarce this summer but cooler damper weather may bring them out in force. Did I mention I hate *&^*$ deer ticks?

sonofdust
09-27-2015, 11:28 AM
Those darn ground hornets show no mercy. I got nailed three times on the face while out weed whacking a 1899 school.
I can laugh now, now that the swelling gone.