PDA

View Full Version : Scouts pin

Digger_O'Dell
09-19-2015, 07:19 PM
Hi All,
Got a bit of a surprise this morning. After a couple days of heavy rain everything is just sloppy mud. No matter, I decided to hit the site where the old elementary school was that I had been finding several wheat cents lately. It was tough digging as it seemed like any hole I dug deeper than an inch or so filled with muddy water-the ground was absolutely saturated! Found lots of clad, and even a first year memorial penny, but no more wheats today. But one thing popped out from under the muddy waters that I didn't expect-an old vintage Bobcat pin, which I was able to trace back to being issued in the 1950's.

Also found a couple bucks in clad, a zipper pull, foot off a classroom chair (not pictured), a Chuck E Cheese token, and an odd tin lid of some kind. Odd thing was that a couple of the dimes were covered in a heavy coat of red paint on both sides.

Digger Don
09-19-2015, 10:24 PM
Awesome bobcat pin. :congrats:

OxShoeDrew
09-20-2015, 03:57 AM
Awesome bobcat pin. :congrats:Agreed! I wonder why someone would paint coins. :dontknow: Congrats on the pin!

Cheap Thrills
09-20-2015, 03:17 PM
Wow !! I found one of those same Bobcat Scout pins a few months ago . I was quite happy to find mine also .It was the same school I found the gold ring and the death angel pin two nights ago .:congrats:and welcome to the Bobcats pin club .:lol:

Digger_O'Dell
09-20-2015, 06:27 PM
welcome to the Bobcats pin club .:lol:

Thanks-it was something one could expect to find at an elementary school, just didn't think to find one!

One cool fact I found out-that particular pin was meant to be worn on civilian clothes, not the scout uniform. Found a neat web page that chronicles the pins and badges for scout ranks
throughout the years.

BTV Digger
09-20-2015, 06:51 PM
Nice pin! Looks like it cleaned up quite well. Those Chucky Cheese tokens have fooled me in the past - made me think they were LCs for a second! Keep up the good work.

John

Lodge Scent
09-20-2015, 07:31 PM
Nice! I was a Bobcat once.

Digger_O'Dell
09-20-2015, 08:07 PM
Nice pin! Looks like it cleaned up quite well. Those Chucky Cheese tokens have fooled me in the past - made me think they were LCs for a second! Keep up the good work.

John
John, at the same site I just got fooled by a giant pull tab at about 8" masquerading as a perfect quarter signal. From now on all bets are off until it's dug! :lol:

Skamaniac
09-21-2015, 01:38 AM
Boy, that pin brings back memories. I was a bobcat back in the 60's.

How old are the painted dimes? I've read that some bars or malt shop owners would paint coins red to drop into jukeboxes to prime the customers to do the same. Then when counting the jukebox money they would know how much was actually profit and reuse the red coins over and over. I have no idea if this is remotely true but it sounds moderately plausible.

Digger_O'Dell
09-21-2015, 03:39 AM
Boy, that pin brings back memories. I was a bobcat back in the 60's.

How old are the painted dimes? I've read that some bars or malt shop owners would paint coins red to drop into jukeboxes to prime the customers to do the same. Then when counting the jukebox money they would know how much was actually profit and reuse the red coins over and over. I have no idea if this is remotely true but it sounds moderately plausible.

It's true that coins were painted, usually red, as "primer" coins for the jukebox, complimentary coins for games, or as "test" coins for repairmen to use in coin op machines, pay phones, etc. so not to be accused of stealing. The painted dimes I found were from the late 70's, so not from the malt shop era. They were also coated so heavy they were about impossible to tell what they were until the paint was chipped off. Could possibly been from some aspiring elementary school artist?

MangoAve
09-21-2015, 07:21 AM
Nice bobcat pin. Usually its the slides that get lost.

del
09-21-2015, 04:54 PM
I found an exact bobcat pin like that in my back yard years ago (my house was built in 1958) so i suspected it was from the 70's era when it was lost , neat find !!

Digger_O'Dell
09-21-2015, 06:14 PM
Nice bobcat pin. Usually its the slides that get lost.

Actually, I just found 3 slides this morning-photos to follow

Bell-Two
09-24-2015, 08:50 PM
Nice pin, like the Scout items. Yes painted coins were used by business owners, these would be returned to them by the company who owned the juke boxes. Most bar and restraint owners did not own the machines they would get a percentage for allowing the placement of machines.