PDA

View Full Version : Totally random V nickel,,

GA1dad
09-20-2015, 02:37 PM
Every week day my wife and I walk 4 miles around the Elementary, Middle and High Schools. The fields have been pounded by detectorists over the years, and it's hard to find much more than clad or pencil eraser caps. On Thursday I took note of this small patch of grass across the street from one of the schools. For whatever reason, the school maintenance crew always keeps this little 40 ft by 100 ft patch trimmed up. I decided that the average detectorist probably focuses on the larger fields and never even notices this little bit of nothing. This morning I parked the truck,, ground balanced,, made 3 swings and dug this 1905 V-Nickel. ( My first ) I should have just went home then cause that was the highlight of the day. Just goes to show you never know where something cool will surface. Not sure what might have been there in the past. The schools didn't come along until the 50's. This corner butted up against a farm field in the 40's.

OxShoeDrew
09-20-2015, 04:37 PM
Nice hypothesis that paid off for you! I'm always trying to find a possible hot spot that has been missed. Congrats on your first...more to come!

Cheap Thrills
09-20-2015, 05:01 PM
Congrats on your first V those are tough to find .Even the Buffalos seem to have migrated from my locale .I would hit that spot again .:thumbsup02:

Digger_O'Dell
09-20-2015, 06:15 PM
Congrats on the V nickel! I'm also in the same situation where anything public and obvious in my area have been pounded mercilessly for decades. It's to the point I'm ecstatic if I find a wheat cent! So I have been looking into hidden nooks and crannies that were likely overlooked in the past. Got a few on the list to hot, and one small spot about the size of your grassy school section has been paying out wheaties and stuff prior to 1970.

Yep, sometimes have to look where others pass over!

Digger Don
09-20-2015, 06:50 PM
Congrats on your first "V" and for thinking out of the box. It paid off. :congrats:

BTV Digger
09-20-2015, 07:05 PM
Way to go, and I'm sure that made your day. Keep looking for those out of the way places. Also try areas with fairly steep and/or wooded slopes. Most detectorists don't hit those and they've provided me with some good finds.

John

GA1dad
09-20-2015, 08:12 PM
Also try areas with fairly steep and/or wooded slopes. Most detectorists don't hit those and they've provided me with some good finds.

John

Yep,, I've got one of those lined up for the winter,,, just waiting for the jungle to die back a little bit.

Thanks all,,,

MangoAve
09-21-2015, 07:34 AM
Toasty. Nice score on the V. I try to find my sites as out of the ordinary, then at the site go for most obvious spots. lately I have been changing it a little. Looking for certain areas in the landscape. It paid off because the second dandy and the item in my avatar came about from that method.

aloldstuff
09-23-2015, 05:53 AM
Good eye, spotting that little area paid off. :congrats:on getting your 1st V nickel.