PDA

View Full Version : An assortment of finds - 9.19

Trooper Bri
09-21-2015, 06:46 PM
Met up with Dan early Saturday for a hunt.
The march in was a bit of a workout, but once we were in the area the rest of the day wasn't bad. Dan got rewarded pretty quick with the CT copper at the trashy cabin spot. Definitely a good place to hit again when the foliage is gone.

Our second stop is where I finally got on board pretty quick with a plain button, and what I think is part of a trigger guard maybe. The hole is countersunk, and the bottom of the piece is concave. It's about 3 1/2 inches long.

This is the stop that Dan got his large cent. At the same time he was digging it, I dug this guy. A broken heel plate with a star pattern. Never saw one of these before. Nice!

I also found a couple yellowjacket nests in the ground at this spot. After kneeling next to one last month, I am much more aware of the ground around me, and movement. Another good spot to hit again, with some lower fields we never got to.

Last stop coughed up a couple more finds for me. First item was in the corner of a field near the walls. Not sure if it's an ugly brooch maybe? There was a wee bit of silver left on it that cleaned up, and the back looks like poured lead perhaps with raised spots top and bottom. It's 2 inches tall and 1 3/8 wide.

Still working along the walls, my last notable find of the day was this complete suspender clip. My 2'nd of the day. My 1'st was a twisted mess. This site was right on the road, but it still gave up some finds in the short time we were there.
Thanks for a good day in the woods Dan. Had fun digging with you. Congrats again on the coppers!

Digger_O'Dell
09-21-2015, 06:53 PM
Nice assortment of finds-Congrats!

del
09-21-2015, 07:00 PM
Brian that last site was producing some very high value targets in a short period of time and is definitely worth a trip back , there is coins laying around there . I just know it and there seemed like a good amount of area to swing in , maybe we'll go back to this one next weekend (but we're driving this time :lol:) . now looking at the long brass piece again it does look like there was another screw hole where it broke off .this is characteristic of trigger guards both in having two screws in the long "tail end" after the trigger cut out area and where they tend to break as well. the star shaped heel plate was a good find and the suspender buckle .

The Rebel
09-22-2015, 11:37 AM
That's a cool heel plate!

Tony Two-Cent
09-22-2015, 12:54 PM
Very cool old relics! I really like the heel plate, I've never seen one with a star before. Man, how I would love to be able to find stuff that old!

:congrats:

GA1dad
09-22-2015, 04:57 PM
Those are some cool and interesting relics Bri!! Congrats

BTV Digger
09-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Like the heel plate. Interesting star pattern.

John

Trooper Bri
09-22-2015, 08:57 PM
Definitely found the shortcut on that place Dan. We missed it by 100ft on the way in. D'oh! And those other fields on the way out looked good for sure.

Thanks everyone! I've never seen a star pattern on a heel plate either. Very cool find. These cool temps that have moved in are awesome too. I love autumn.

OxShoeDrew
09-23-2015, 04:00 AM
Glad you didn't have a run-in with the bees! :stretcher: Lots of good targets Brian...I can't wait for the frost :frozen: to clear everything out.

aloldstuff
09-23-2015, 12:41 PM
Some great hunting, really like that star pattern heel plate. Yeah, gotta keep an eye out for the yellow jackets. got stung twice last week. :stretcher:

Bell-Two
09-25-2015, 08:14 PM
Trooper that is a nice hunt with some excellent finds.