PDA

View Full Version : Local Park Rules

Skamaniac
09-24-2015, 01:24 PM
I just called the parks department in a neighboring city to see if metal detecting was allowed. They said yes, but you can't disturb the ground. I asked what that meant exactly. She said it means you can metal detect but you can't dig. I didn't even know how to respond to logic like that. I think I'm going to need to see that one in writing somewhere.

Tony Two-Cent
09-24-2015, 01:26 PM
I've heard of other towns that have that same rule in their parks. It makes metal detecting rather pointless unless you just want to pick up surface items.

chief5709
09-24-2015, 01:47 PM
I think Tony is right. Just surface detecting. I ran into the same thing before. "detect all you want, just don't dig" was what i was told.

del
09-24-2015, 03:57 PM
technically i believe "probing" for coins would still be allowed in these instances since you wouldn't be using any kind of digging tool.

Digger_O'Dell
09-24-2015, 06:13 PM
That's our government in action-kills me that we pay these morons to think this crap up

ODA 226
09-25-2015, 01:17 PM
I just called the parks department in a neighboring city to see if metal detecting was allowed. They said yes, but you can't disturb the ground. I asked what that meant exactly. She said it means you can metal detect but you can't dig. I didn't even know how to respond to logic like that. I think I'm going to need to see that one in writing somewhere.

Ask her to quote the exact City Ordinance and then look it up yourself. Wanna bet she can't make that quote?

Skamaniac
09-25-2015, 09:36 PM
Ask her to quote the exact City Ordinance and then look it up yourself. Wanna bet she can't make that quote?

I thought that very thing. It's not a city ordinance; I already checked with the police chief. Could be a Parks and Rec rule, though. I can say for sure that rule is not listed on their webpage or at the park. I already checked that, too. I'll do some more checking around in the next few weeks.