PDA

View Full Version : 3 copper spill with del - 9.26

Trooper Bri
09-27-2015, 12:01 PM
The final site we hit last week coughed up a few decent targets in the short time we were there, and Dan had a hunch the place had more to give.
Our plan this week was to hit a different spot, but when we got there it looked like a hunter was in the area we wanted to be in. So, we decided to return to Dan's hunch.

We must have dug up most of the targets last week, because not much came up. I squeaked out a buckle fragment and spoon bowl. So we moved across the road to a 2'nd cellar hole. Bingo!
Almost immediately my V3i goes off with a nice 82 VDI. But only 2" inches. Hmmmmm. Sure enough, up came a copper so Dan came over. The ship on the back threw us, so I tossed it in my tin to dry out for a bit. Once we sat down for lunch enough dirt came off to ID it as a New Brunswick Half Penny Token. I got a date off it last night, 1843.

Tip the plug back in, start swinging, and bam! A jumpier 78-81 VDI a foot from the Token. I holler to Dan I think I had a second copper, and he came back over for the live dig. From about 5" down comes copper #2. Dan thought it might be a Draped Bust large cent, and he's right. It's in tough shape, but the last number of the date is intact. 1802!
Run the detector back over the hole, and here's another 82 VDI target 6 inches from where the DB was! Up comes copper #3. A Braided large cent, 1844. The obverse came out pretty good, the reverse still needs some cleaning but I'm not sure if I can without losing detail. Been wondering when I was going to dig my 1'st large cent. Nice way to end that streak.

After that things slowed down for me again. I managed a few other items for the day, but it was The Dan Show after that. ;) Dan had to be out of the woods a bit earlier than usual, but we stopped at one more spot on the way out and dug an impressive amount of fired lead.

Thanks for the hunt Dan, some great finds and a cool Autumn day was perfect for digging. Congrats on GW #2 bud!

del
09-27-2015, 12:26 PM
:cheering::cheering: A 3-copper coin spill :cheering::cheering:

huge congrats Brian 3 coppers is a Great day for cellar hunting and congrats on finally getting a large cent my friend :perfect10:

OxShoeDrew
09-27-2015, 12:35 PM
Oh man o man....I'm glad I couldn't go with you guys :bangahead02: :lol: It was a great day weather-wise and you guys knocked it out of the park!! I love that token :notworthy:
Soon you'll be finding so many largies you'll just throw them in your square nail pouch. :lol: A big congrats to you Brian!

Digger_O'Dell
09-27-2015, 06:41 PM
Congrats on the finds-those are some SWEET coppers!

Cheap Thrills
09-27-2015, 07:06 PM
Great company and great finds , it doesn't get any better than that .:wow::congrats:

Lodge Scent
09-27-2015, 08:40 PM
Congrats on the copper bonanza! Love that NB token :clapping:

kpmoose
09-28-2015, 09:05 AM
Congrats on the copper spill. GREAT way to find your first large cent. :thumbsup01:

Bucknut
09-29-2015, 08:20 AM
Great spill! Those are the rushes we all enjoy having! Congrats!

Bell-Two
09-29-2015, 04:25 PM
I am happy for you to get your first Large Cent in such a spectacular manner! And oh yes "Nothing says old like a Large Cent!"

aloldstuff
09-30-2015, 06:37 PM
Brian, huge :congrats:on getting 3 coppers. Reading this, I thought that I was reading some of my past posts....1843 NB token, 1802 LC.....Great job.

chief5709
10-01-2015, 04:26 AM
Congrats Brian! Hard to beat a 3 copper spill, great digging partner and the weather!