PDA

View Full Version : Trip to the farm found me a fat indian

Robbie
09-27-2015, 12:51 PM
I went back to the farm today for a two hour hunt and finally found my first Indian for the year. It`s also my oldest coin that I`ve found on this farm. She`s got some nice detail on her too.

freemindstuck
09-27-2015, 01:03 PM
Congrats on the fatty!
But I think the new politically correct words for the coin are corpulent first american.

OxShoeDrew
09-27-2015, 02:14 PM
Nice job on the early indian Robbie, that's a lot of shells :shocked04: What's that thing behind the IH? It looks interesting.

Robbie
09-27-2015, 02:35 PM
Nice job on the early indian Robbie, that's a lot of shells :shocked04: What's that thing behind the IH? It looks interesting.
Yea there were a bunch of shells all over the surface, that's where I found the fatty. The thing behind the IH looks like an old pin of sorts.

Digger_O'Dell
09-27-2015, 06:17 PM
Congrats on that fine IH! Also curious about that "mystery" item. Have you thought to try dating the shotgun head stamps? You may be surprised how old some of those are.

here's the database I use: http://www.headstamps.x10.mx/database.html

Robbie
09-27-2015, 07:04 PM
Congrats on that fine IH! Also curious about that "mystery" item. Have you thought to try dating the shotgun head stamps? You may be surprised how old some of those are.

here's the database I use: http://www.headstamps.x10.mx/database.html

Thanks Digger_O'Dell, I never thought about that.;)

Steve4050
09-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Hey Robbie I have a similar pin like yours. I don't know anything about it. I'll have to find it. And like you I always threw my shotgun shells away until I saw Digger's link. Just look two of mine up I had laying around and they dated between 1915-1937! Pretty cool if you ask me! Sweet finds by the way!

del
09-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Congrats on the "fat" indian head :thumbsup02: the "pin" item looks like a saddle strap guide , these could go back to the colonial era . I've recovered many at the sites i usually detect .

Digger_O'Dell
09-27-2015, 07:59 PM
Hey Robbie I have a similar pin like yours. I don't know anything about it. I'll have to find it. And like you I always threw my shotgun shells away until I saw Digger's link. Just look two of mine up I had laying around and they dated between 1915-1937! Pretty cool if you ask me! Sweet finds by the way!

I actually found a fairly uncommon 16Ga. shell from 1902-1909. That's what got me to keep those shells and catalog them. There are actually web sites out there dedicated to just detecting and finding those old head cases.

Digger Don
09-27-2015, 10:04 PM
Congrats on the Fatty. Great find.

MangoAve
09-28-2015, 08:30 AM
Nice. Still looking for a fatty. Since you mentioned about a ton of shellz on the surface. The prop I got I think the farm field was across the street from the house (cuz it is part of the parcel they own today) I didn't hit over there yet; I've only got about 2 hours there so far. The gf went the second time (or second hour) and found an area across from the house where a bunch of shells laid. I did mention a hunter was there before. Maybe it deserves a look by me (to clear the ok shell signals and I have more experience than her).

aloldstuff
09-29-2015, 05:25 AM
Nice fatty. It looks like a firefight to place there.....:lol:

BTV Digger
09-29-2015, 04:48 PM
Congrats on the early IH. Man, my knees feel sore just looking at all those shells!

John