PDA

View Full Version : Took a Friday off and did a few hunts this weekend.

MangoAve
09-28-2015, 11:32 AM
Thursday night was actually the first hunt. I was out late BSing with the couple that owned the house. This was the third time being there. I tried first with the new Tpro but the dog fence was killing it. The guy was a white's guy so I did wanna show it to him. I went to work out front with the GTI trying to find a good frequency. That hunt I didn't have the Tranger with me, which didn't have an issue with the fence until I was within 3 feet of it so I had to make due with the GTI. I had to move the car when the daughter left, and he came out to see the machine. He turned off the dog fence for me and took a look at the new machine. He likes it. I did pull up a zincoln near the back driveway, but as soon as I came around to the side, the next target was this huge button. It was caked with dirt so I just thought it was a large flat button. I was wrong with that one. Idk why I didn't realize too how large it really was. It looks like an oversized dandy. There was only 1 button I have dug that is bigger than this one. I took a pic of all the different sizes of buttons I dug (yes the two dandies are not exactly the same size). There was the back of a button that came up too. It was ornate for some reason and it reminds me of Jim's dandy with the 6 red 'stones' altho mine are iron. Perfectly at the corners of a hexagon. I got a chappe piece, and showing that I realized from the second site mentioned here, last site where the buckle and LC came from, was an iron chappe. Over near this exposed rock top in the yard there was a plated spoon made by Newport Silver Plate (Sears Roebuck, Prob from the 20's or thereabouts). I didn't have too much daylight. The two wheats were iffy targets. 1913 and 1920.

Friday I only got an hour of hunting despite taking a day off. I waited for someone to return home and then go... and then want to leave. We got to the stores afterward, however, when it was dark because the place isn't close. She got the change dropped by a hunter. Too bad it was modern. She found an area with a ton of shells. I pulled up a bunch myself, but just around where the old structure was. Out back there is a partial car chassis and collapsed shed. Near there I got some strange triangular pieces of fabric with the brass tarp loops in it. There were 4 or 5 of those I pulled up. I did get my first silver (plated) knee buckle that day up behind the structure. There was a bullet embedded in a dead tree branch. I also got a pewter spoon/fork handle.

Saturday I got out with Mike. There was a text on Wed to possibly get out. We went up to try the spot where I got a largie and the three buttons I last posted about. He pulled up a nice bell, his first. Any of you who have heard of Dominique from the silverslingers, she'd be proud of it. I found a nice bottle that I will take a pic of soon. It was put in a different area of the house which is why no pic yet. Two finds I got I have no idea what they were but rang up sooo good. One like a quarter and one like a half dollar. One was a brass cap of some sort. Just smaller than a half dollar diameter top with scalloped edges. It was threaded on the inside so it wasn't too old, but it sure wasn't something you would get at the hardware store. Another was this rolled brass piece. Almost from flatstock. It reminded me of a cigar shape. idk. There was one rock I found with a big iron ring on it. Right there I found a large spoon, a matching smaller spoon, and a spoon bowl. It must have been a rock someone used to sit on and lounge and eat. We moved to another site. The apples there were ready to pick. Lucky for us there was more swinging room as the town had cut down some of the weeds/brush. I found a ton of vines wrapped around a telephone pole there (in what would be the house's front yard). I got a wrist watch piece and a nice big '57 chevy (from Zee toys made in Macau). It was still littered with golfballs but Mike said they were old, like from when he was a kid. It was nice to get out even tho the finds weren't that spectacular. There is so much space at the first site there is bound to be more. I just know it. The second site I know it cant be hit before. Idk if the town did something with the yard, however, when the structure was torn down and filled in.

OxShoeDrew
09-28-2015, 05:08 PM
Spoons are a good sign the place hasn't been hit hard. Hey, is that a knee or sash buckle? I'm glad you picked up the spare tire and put it in the back seat :lol: Congrats! You are finding your groove :)

del
09-28-2015, 05:59 PM
that dandy button looks like it may have some gilt hiding in the recesses of its design , and I like the silver plated knee buckle . :smitten:your doing very well for yourself Jim , its good to see you finally coming around sir !

Dan

Digger_O'Dell
09-28-2015, 10:51 PM
Really nice finds-don't think I ever saw a button that large before either. Congrats!

MangoAve
09-29-2015, 06:59 AM
that dandy button looks like it may have some gilt hiding in the recesses of its design , and I like the silver plated knee buckle . :smitten:your doing very well for yourself Jim , its good to see you finally coming around sir !

Dan

Thanks Dan. Hoping the next two sites I check will be good as well; The ones I hinted at. I wonder if someone will say that I got a few nice places already mentioned here, but I'm greedy finding two more sites. Lol. Idk. I had to take the brass brush to the Extreme Dandy to get some of the copper oxide off. The peroxide left a few stubborn spots. Maybe there is gilt. As of now, tho, I put renwax on it.

Spoons are a good sign the place hasn't been hit hard. Hey, is that a knee or sash buckle? I'm glad you picked up the spare tire and put it in the back seat :lol: Congrats! You are finding your groove :)

Hey, I'm not Stella. :lol: Yeah, good to find some nice stuff lately. The tire was actually under the wheel well but I took the bottom off to clean all the dirt out so I retrieved the tire. It is made of rubber but those years in the ground it is hard. I cant get it back onto the 'rim'. The site with the spoons was hit. Quite a few knew about the place, but there is just a lot of area to cover. The matron I had found there on Jan 2nd was a darn clear signal. No one would have walked away from it if they heard it. Since three buttons came up and the spoons, it's just not a pounded site. I did describe my convoluted path to find an area this time with signals no one would have passed up. I am quite sure that is a knee buckle. It's single piece while all the sash style I have found were two piece (but I only found one each.) This def looks like the rusted iron tongue would have had two close teeth on one side and two further teeth on the other side. And it is about an inch and 1/4 long. It's not very big at all.

Really nice finds-don't think I ever saw a button that large before either. Congrats!

Thanks. The pic already shows it's the second biggest I dug. The biggest one is a two piece, however, so it is a bit newer than the big dandy. Lol. Seeing as dandies are unique. I guess this large one is a unique of the unique.

Bucknut
09-29-2015, 08:39 AM
Wow you dug a lot of relics! Some great history there!

GA1dad
09-29-2015, 12:22 PM
What a nice group of finds,, congrats Mango!!

Bell-Two
09-29-2015, 04:31 PM
Now that's a button mate!

Lodge Scent
09-29-2015, 05:21 PM
NICE bunch of finds Mango. :congrats:

Talk about a tangle of vines! Cool pic.

aloldstuff
09-30-2015, 06:33 PM
Hey Jim, very nice group of relics. Love all the buttons.

chief5709
10-01-2015, 04:31 AM
Nice weekend of hunts! Love those big buttons and the knee buckle!

MangoAve
10-01-2015, 07:09 AM
Nice weekend of hunts! Love those big buttons and the knee buckle!
I gotta send a pic to the homeowner of the big button. And the land owners the buckle. Glad to finally dig up a knee buckle and one with at least some silver on it. Two in one shot. lol. Thanks, Bri.

Wow you dug a lot of relics! Some great history there!
That's what we be looking for: history. Thanks Buck. There will be more to come.

What a nice group of finds,, congrats Mango!!
Thanks GA. Just gotta find that sweet spot at the last place. And hit the other places harder.

Now that's a button mate!

Yeah, Tony. Go Big or go home. Haha. Thanks.

NICE bunch of finds Mango. :congrats:

Talk about a tangle of vines! Cool pic.

At first we thought those vines were around a tree until I looked closer to see it was a big pole. The place was so overgrown with weeds that it wasn't too surprising, but anywhere to see vines like that is still a bit surprising. Esp when the first place that day didn't have it but it was older. Thanks tho. My mediocre days are starting to look like the veterans' off-days.

Hey Jim, very nice group of relics. Love all the buttons.

Thanks Al. I never realized how many buttons I had until the different sizes got lined up. Some duplicates never made it in there, but still, it's like doing a park hunt and you keep digging clad. When you are ready to go you see how much you dug and it's like "I dug this many already?"

MangoAve
10-02-2015, 08:35 AM
The pic of the bottle. I think Mike said it was a wine bottle. Obvi it's newer than 1960 with a screw top and no printing on the bottle of "Federal law prohibits reuse of this bottle" from the prohibition times. Just cool looking tho.