PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Sod Holes

Skamaniac
10-03-2015, 06:01 PM
I'm looking for your thoughts on the best way to open sod to get to the goodies. Large (over 8"), small (under 4"), round, square, hinged, unhinged. What has worked for you to get the plug replaced with the best chances of remaining green?

The method I've been using is to cut a square, about 4-5" across, leaving one side uncut as the hinge. I flip open the cut flap, find the item with the pinpointer, remove the item, then replace any soil and replace the flap and tamp it flat. Of course here in the PNW the items are usually not more than 5-6" deep because most stuff is not more than late 19th century old.

I've heard that bigger holes might be better for keeping the grass alive, but I don't want a homeowner to think I'm digging holes to build a stockade or something. On the other hand, I don't want the lawn to end up looking like a chess board if the grass dies with my cute little squares.

Thoughts?

sonofdust
10-04-2015, 08:38 AM
I find the 5"x 5" hinged plug works best for me when the soil is damp but, I also find the connected roots will sometimes carry the signal of the target. When the soil dry I use a prob and pop coins and from time to time the squirrels and skunks come back and recheck my work.
GL&HH

Digger_O'Dell
10-04-2015, 11:33 PM
I try to determine the approximate depth before I decide the size of hole. Anything under maybe 1-2 inches, I just cut a very small square hole the width of my Lesche blade and the pop it straight up. Often it will separate where the coin is making it real easy to find, plus it's really easy to put back and it hides well. When going for something I guesstimate to be down to maybe 8 inches, I will dig a fairly large plug, maybe 6-8" or so to make getting to the depth easier. Anything deeper I bring out the shovels-I have a short handled spade I can easily get down to about a foot deep, and make the plug about 10" square-the width of the blade. For the really deep holes I have a drain spade-this can make needed holes smaller with cleaner edges for greater depth than if I used a regular spade. So far I have gone back many times to places I have detected and within about a week, or after a little rain, you can't usually tell where I have been digging.

GA1dad
10-05-2015, 01:46 PM
I just saw a video with a great technique on retrieving shallow targets on sod. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGjG0rnk8zQ