PDA

View Full Version : Ballfield silver

ducktrapper
10-03-2015, 09:39 PM
I'm sort of new here and since I joined I have not found much to post! I have replied to a few of you about hunting the outfield area of old ballfields. This is the time of year to do it, as they are pretty much not used now until April. Typically the baselines and behind home plate are pounded, but the outfield is often overlooked, large, hard to grid effectively and usually produces! I was at such a place today, very rural, but I had cleaned out the usual areas at this place a couple years ago. I realized I needed to take my own advice about this place. This was a little over an hour hunt. Silver dime was in medium center field, 1935S Buff was deep center and the war nick was along 3rd base, must have ignored it before since it rang up odd for a war nick 1-16 on the Etrac. Definitely heading back to this place before the snow flies, barely scratched the surface in an hour, hopefully this can be one of those 10-silver places!50449

Hiluxyota
10-03-2015, 11:13 PM
Nice and slow, and the finds will definitely increase. I was at a house today that I found 5 silvers at a couple weeks ago and thought I got them all , and today I got a walker and few other coins that I don't know how I missed the first time !!

Skamaniac
10-04-2015, 08:05 AM
Pretty good results for an hour's work! I'm curious to see what else you can pull out of there.

wisconsin digger
10-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Great finds. I think baseball fields generally present ground that has gone unchanged for as long as the field has been there. great finds. WD

Bucknut
10-04-2015, 04:10 PM
Congrats on the old nickels. I consider them harder to find than silver dimes simple bc trash often comes at the numbers so you gotta dig the trash to get the old nickels.

Digger_O'Dell
10-04-2015, 06:28 PM
Congrats on the old coins!
I have yet to find any buffalo, but here is SE Wi. things are pretty pounded out or so trashy it's basically pointless to detect. (Imagine a thick buried carpet of pull tabs, can slaw, and foil giving out a continuous signal)

Digger Don
10-04-2015, 10:18 PM
Congrats on some pretty good finds. Those war nickels don't pop up too often.
I have a habit of overlooking the outfield as well. Great Job