PDA

View Full Version : Give me dirt!

Beefcake
07-20-2010, 10:33 PM
After 19 hours of driving yesterday and 1070 miles... I'm back in the dirt!!! Florida was nice, but the water hunting proved to be futile.(Thanks again John for the Surfmaster!!!!!) I came away with alot of clad, bunch of big ol' hoop earrings, one titanium ring, one silver ring, and one silver earring.... I was aching for my E-trac and some good ol' Ohio dirt!!! I would go nuts if I had to try to dirt hunt in FL. So, I wasted no time today...got all my chores done with the overgrown yard...and went back to the 1915 school I hunted last month. It was really humid and the bugs were bad, but I stayed for a couple hours and got a couple of keepers. It is soooo nice to see silver come out of the soil again! I dug a bunch of clad quarters and dimes and scored a 1939 Mercury dime and a Rosie for good measure! I am now up to 42 silver for the year...my most ever! By the way... it was nice and moist when I left... The ground is like kibble! Here's the pics of tonight's hunt...

Snowy
07-20-2010, 10:40 PM
It really is amazing....

As much as we're enjoying water hunting right now, the dirt still calls our name, especially at our private place on the National List of Historc Places. It's just been too hot and muggy here. Very unusual weather for Maine ~ we can usually field/land hunt year round with the exception of a week or two. It's been different the last couple years.

Beefcake
07-20-2010, 10:42 PM
I was going to video tonight's hunt, but they had a crowd for a t-ball game around where I was hunting. I didn't get any FL video'd hunts... they would have been pretty boring. Seems that the Treasure coast also has a Treasur Coast worth of hunters too... it was tough going and who knows how many hunters go early in the morning before we even got there. Each day I saw several hunters... some really made me laugh! This one fella was doing the big ol' banana swing with a Bounty hunter in the dry... My wife and I were in the water and I was kinda laughing about it. Then, I saw him walking toward the wet sand...this was going to be good..lol I told my wife, watch he's going to think he's got a good signal right away Sure enough... No sooner did he get in the wet sand did his detector go crazy. He was digging for 15 minutes in one spot thinking it was a target... I have to say that some of the folks I ran into with detectors were not really very friendly. One guy really made me mad. I saw him when I got there and noticed he was working the trough going in one direction. I figured I'd be nice and go in the opposite direction. He then noticed me and actually walked up the beach in front of me and went in the trough about 20 feet in front of me... After about 15 minutes of following him, he scoops up a really nice 14k white gold band and had the nerve to try to show it to me... I told him Smart hunters never show their finds LOL

Ill Digger
07-21-2010, 01:44 AM
To bad about the butt-er :mad: :beatdown:
At least you found some really nice finds while you were there!
It's good to be on your home turf though thumbsup01
Congrats on the silver :grin:

Epi-hunter
07-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Too bad the water hunting didn't work out, but I hope you aren't going to give it up forever.

Very nice silver! Love to see it peeking out of the ground like that thumbsup01

angellionel
07-21-2010, 10:28 AM
That silver sure looks beautiful in the soil. :smitten: Good hunt, BC!

catskillcomics
07-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Yep, nothing better than digging a hole and seeing a glint of silver.. great job.. and welcome home :beerbuddy:

ProPointer
07-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Good deal Beef. Wish I could see silver in the hole a little more often than once a year :yes:

-PP

coinnut
07-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Congrats on your best silver year ever. :clapping: I'm sure if you lived by the beach, you would figure out your niche and score some gold. You are lucky ET doesn't hold a grudge or you might be videotaping Zincolns lol

Beefcake
07-21-2010, 10:05 PM
I'd go nuts... there's nothing like seeing a silver coin in the dirt that's for sure!

Schrecky
07-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Nice Merc, it is always so sweet to see a Merc looking up at you from the deep. What detector were you using in FL?

Beefcake
07-22-2010, 08:10 PM
I was using a White's Surfmaster PI.

CBnKansas
07-23-2010, 01:12 AM
Beef,
Did the water moving mess with your head (and stomache)? I have been trying it here in Corpus and the movment makes me look like I have had one too many beers.

Glad you made it back and hit the silver in some good old dirt.

cb

Beefcake
07-23-2010, 06:44 PM
It does seem to mess with you as you try to walk in a straight line. I know after a day of detecting at the beach, I felt like I was still moving with the sway of the water later that evening.

tanacat
07-23-2010, 11:44 PM
Congrats on a great hunt and on 42 silvers! :beerbuddy: I swung a bit on the Outer Banks/Nags Head last fall, MDers were pretty territiorial...