PDA

View Full Version : 3 hrs = 2 keepers

Cheap Thrills
10-04-2015, 12:25 PM
Another busy weekend , so last's night 3hr. hunt was all I could fit in . I hit that nearby , beat to death spot I always hit . I dug about 30 targets , 5 of which were coins. In the mix were tabs , can slaw , 3 zincolns , a few whatevers and a cheap earring with all the plating gone . Finally after digging up a lot of oxidized nickels on my last few hunts here , I dug one without Tommy on it , a 1936 Buffalo . It's been awhile since I've found one of these so it was a joyous occasion .:groovy:
My next and final coin was a 1968 Canadian clad dime .Both this coin and the Buffalo were found at depth of about 3" .
I was concentrating on the areas of the field where the dirt was soft due to a lot of gopher activity and boy had they been busy earlier this year .
I would like to give them a thank you and shout out .:thumbsup02:
I didn't show the junk targets as these 2 coins are funky enough just by themselves .:lol:
Not the kind of stuff you're used to seeing posted here I'm sure but I've got to keep in practice posting and attempting to hone down on my camera skills .Who knows , maybe one day I will have another banner day here again ? :hystericallaugh:

OxShoeDrew
10-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Did you check if that dime is 50% silver? I guess some were. I don't know how one would know.
Any datable buff is a joyous occasion :clapping:Nicely done George!

Bucknut
10-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Yeah I think that dime might be 50% silver. I think that the clad version is steel and is plated so if it rings up with wheatie type numbers instead of iron type numbers then it just might be silver.

Cheap Thrills
10-04-2015, 05:41 PM
Did you check if that dime is 50% silver? I guess some were. I don't know how one would know.
Any datable buff is a joyous occasion :clapping:Nicely done George!

Thanks Drew + Buck , you guys are right on the money .:thumbsup02: I looked it up under Canadian silver coins and 2 cites listed it has a 50% silver/50% copper . That series of coin was 80% silver previous to 1967 . 1967 +1968 were the last years of any silver content for that series .
I should have thought about that as it pegged top right on the Explorer smart find ID yet sounded like copper .
So that means I finally have my first silver content coin for this year .:happydance02:

Things worked out so that I can get a couple of hours in tonight .;) I reckon I'll go out there again and give it a shot .Usually a good day there is followed by a long dry spell but one never knows .Getting that Buffalo was a tremendous lift for me .If that ground was to get a good soaking I think quite a few more signals might open up .:yes:

aloldstuff
10-06-2015, 05:02 PM
I'd be happy with those 2 coins.....:congrats:

Cheap Thrills
10-06-2015, 10:12 PM
I'd be happy with those 2 coins.....:congrats:

Thanks Al , I was :thumbsup01:. Good finds are getting pretty scarce in my neck of the woods .:yes:

Digger Don
10-06-2015, 10:51 PM
Congrats on a nice hunt. I haven't found any Canadian silver this year. Cool Find.

wisconsin digger
10-06-2015, 11:11 PM
Nice hunt. I think 68's are silver. WD

Cheap Thrills
10-06-2015, 11:18 PM
Thanks Digger and digger .:thumbsup02:

BTV Digger
10-08-2015, 05:04 PM
Way to go. Shows that enough patience will pay off in the end. Keep up the good work!

John