PDA

View Full Version : A question about my SE

beepn
07-21-2010, 11:15 AM
I have a SE with a Pro coil on it.It is a pain in the adnoids to hunt with.The TID numbers jump all over the place.I found a 1923 Merc with it yesterday and to get a repeatable set of numbers that would indicate a coin was almost impossible.I have it setup with Bryce Browns settings out of Andy S.'s Explorer/Etrac book as a place to start.I'm hunting by the tones almost strictly.My problem is there are tons of stuff that give off the repeatble high shrill of silver.I'm swinging it slow and overlapping my swings.Is this just the nature of SE's.Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks Bill

Epi-hunter
07-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Many people who do well with this machine use a combination of the SmartFind graph (rather than the digital readout) and the tones. I think the visual crosshairs graphic representation is sometimes much easier to interpret than the bouncing numbers.

The numbers on the SE did bounce more than they do on the E-Trac, especially the Fe number.

What other targets are you trying to distinguish from silver coin tones? Using a combination of SmartFind and tone may eventually help discern silver coins from these other objects, and also you may be able to tell when pinpointing the object. Or are you referring to falsing?

coinnut
07-21-2010, 06:19 PM
If I remember correctly, I think you have to swing Painfully slow lol Maybe your swing rate is too much for the processor to handle?? Just a guess though.

beepn
07-21-2010, 07:31 PM
My swing was very slow.I went back today with the 6 inch Excellerator coil on the SE.It made a lot of difference.I dug a 1942-D Wheatie then a 1929 plain Merc right away.A big electrical storm rolled in then it rained hard.I got about 15 minutes of hunting time before I headed for shelter.I have to work 3 12 hour nightshifts then I have 4 days off to hunt.This park covers better than a city block.I've hardly hunted any of it yet.Bill

coinnut
07-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Glad it is sounding better and not a faulty machine. Maybe there is just so much trash in that park, that the 11 coil is hitting multiple targets. It may have just been an area you were in, that had too many targets appear under the coil's footprint. A sure way to check it is to hit a section that has less targets and see if it quiets down. I hope it's not a bad coil but I really haven't heard of any bad coils yet. Keep us updated so we can try and figure it out. Good luck on the heavy work load :ticked:

John S
07-22-2010, 06:17 AM
Well Bill on the exp.11 , se the ID just socks, and is very slow I don't care how slow you swing in heavy trash. The etrac is a little better . The small coils help in the trash. This is something Minebal need to work on. With the SE you just need to hear the very high tone and dig them for the silver . I do like the explorer 's & etrac , but it is a very thing they could change detectors weight, ID speed .