PDA

View Full Version : A Connecticut token and other stuff off my bucket list - 10/10

Trooper Bri
10-11-2015, 06:32 PM
Had a good hunt yesterday, thank you very much Dan. Awesome weather and a bunch of different finds.

That first older hole we stopped at didn't have a lot of targets. I managed two thimbles (scratch those off the list) and not much else. It's when we moved on to the bigger site that I finally got traction. The road we walked into it wound up being where I got most of my finds.
I poked around for a while before settling into the road though. Fields were pretty quiet, and on the far corner I could see what looked like a rise, and then the land ended.
Curiosity got the best of me so I hiked up without the detector, and near the top could see loose stone tumbled down towards me. I get to the top of what is a small ridge, and see the source of the loose stone. They had quarried the exposed ridge due to the natural striations in the stone making for perfect slabs to build with. The area was the size of a large swimming pool and probably 10ft deep. Very cool!

I managed some finds before getting to the road, but it's there that I kept busy for the rest of the day. First thing to greet me was a small, broken crotal bell. Got a couple coins. 1904 Indian Head, and another item off the bucket list. 1865 2-cent piece!

Buxton Garment 2-piece button with a steel back. They operated out of Nashua NH from 1901-1933.

And what I thought was a crusty dog tag is actually an aluminum token! It's in bad shape, but I believe the name is Serafin out of Stafford Springs here in CT. The reverse says Good For One Drink, and I think there's a mug in the middle. There's a company called Serafin Sulky since 1933 in Stafford, but they deal with carriages, etc. Maybe they did other trade to, or associated family. I can't find any info on the token itself. I can always make a call and inquire at Serafin. I wish it had been in decent shape, it may be worth a couple bucks.

Other finds in the road was a toe plate with a bit of toe still attached, large musket ball, 2 mystery bits that may or may not be part of a buckle, and weird bottle topper thingy with 3 holes. The flattened metal in the top left came out of one of the fields. 66 VDI, and not lead.

Digger_O'Dell
10-11-2015, 06:52 PM
Very awesome day-especially the 2 cent piece! Congrats and well done! :happydance01:

OxShoeDrew
10-11-2015, 08:09 PM
Now that's a terrific 2center! The other side as good? I think we learned lately that the square indentations on the thimble mean it's colonial. Nice job and congrats on the bucket listers!

Cheap Thrills
10-11-2015, 09:05 PM
Very cool stuff ,Congrats !!

Trooper Bri
10-11-2015, 09:09 PM
The other side isn't quite as good Drew, but she's still a pretty coin. I didn't know that about thimbles, thanks for the factoid!

del
10-11-2015, 10:43 PM
Huge congrats on the 2 center and the "dogtag" that turned out to be a token :cheering: ask Dave Wise about cleaning the aluminum as he seems to do a good job on them , i rarely find aluminum except for pulltabs :hairpulling:the 2 center looked like it cleaned up great :clapping:well done , but what is it resting on in the second picture ??? don't tell me you have one of those "Beardon O' Digger chia beard pets" :lol::lol:

Trooper Bri
10-11-2015, 11:44 PM
No Beardon involved. ;) It was too nice not to get out so I took a hike on some local trails and stopped at some shaggy rocks to take pics of my finds.
Here's a pic of the corner of the quarry on that 2'nd site.

del
10-12-2015, 02:58 AM
that looks pretty cool , I should of stopped an taken a look at that area . did you see any roads where they would of brought down a wagon or animals to pull a cart of rock ?? or any kind of flat area it might have been a spot to detect.

Trooper Bri
10-12-2015, 07:15 PM
Maybe along the edge of the ridge Dan is where it's flattest. It's a bit steep straight from the field up to it. It's all Mountain Laurel up there, so swinging would be a bit tough. The bottom of that quarry may have goodies, but there's a ton of leaves and some water in it.

Bell-Two
10-12-2015, 08:45 PM
Trooper that is a lovely Two Center and a very interesting token!

Lodge Scent
10-13-2015, 12:29 PM
Great finds. I do like those 2-cent pieces. Nice small bell also.

aloldstuff
10-13-2015, 06:05 PM
Great looking 2 cent piece and I'm really liking your pictures. The 66 VDI, flattened metal that is not lead has me very curious????

BTV Digger
10-16-2015, 07:32 PM
Congrats on the nice 2 center Brian. The two I've found over the past few years are not in nearly as good a shape. By the way, found your videos online and I quite enjoyed them. Realistic, not over the top and some added humor to boot.

John