PDA

View Full Version : I had to find a truck to haul all my booty home today!

fyrffytr1
10-11-2015, 09:20 PM
I very rarely hunt yards so when my buddy called me today and said he had one we could hit I wasn't very excited about it. But, it's been a good while since I have been out so I decided to give it a try. Long story short, between three of us we pulled over 100 coins out of a small yard in about four hours. We found everything from modern coins to a shield nickel. I found 39 coins ranging from an 1875 shield nickel to a 2012 dime! My good finds for the day were a 1943 s quarter, 52 dime, 1919 and 1916d wheat pennies, an1899 Indian head and a shield nickle that I think is an 1875.
My one buddy also found 39 coins with several wheats, one Indian head and a V nickel. The third guy found over twenty coins, mostly wheats and he found his first Indian head. I even found a Tootsie Toy truck to haul my finds home in. So, it turned out to be a pretty good day for all of us.

Digger_O'Dell
10-11-2015, 10:17 PM
Very nice "haul"! :cheesysmile:
Congrats on all the great finds!

del
10-11-2015, 10:28 PM
that is quite a haul of coins !! congrats on the silver and especially the shield nickle :clapping:

OxShoeDrew
10-12-2015, 12:45 AM
Is there more yard to hunt? You folks must have been digging non-stop! Congrats!

Bell-Two
10-12-2015, 08:33 PM
That is a real truckload for sure! Shield Nickels are always a wonderful find!

MangoAve
10-13-2015, 06:59 AM
Nice shield. I was thinking you had a bit relic, (no.. not a treasure chest), when you said needing a truck..

fyrffytr1
10-13-2015, 10:16 PM
Is there more yard to hunt? You folks must have been digging non-stop! Congrats!

We hit this yard pretty hard but the good news is that the city is doing a sidewalk tearout so we will have about 4 blocks to hunt as long as the home owners don't object. I know we can legally hunt those areas but we have decided to only hunt the spots that the owners say it is OK to hunt.

MangoAve
10-14-2015, 06:31 AM
I know we can legally hunt those areas but we have decided to only hunt the spots that the owners say it is OK to hunt.

More generous than I would be. Lol. I have only seen three streets torn out in the past two years and only one did I stop and check a little bit. Not quite sidewalk tear-out, however.

aloldstuff
10-14-2015, 08:47 AM
Has your opinion changed on doing yards????? Very nice haul for all of you.

Cheap Thrills
10-14-2015, 12:15 PM
Great finds " keep on truckin' "

fyrffytr1
10-14-2015, 08:38 PM
Has your opinion changed on doing yards????? Very nice haul for all of you.

I never said I didn't like hunting yards, I just prefer to hunt farm fields and more specifically a certain local farmer's fields that used to be a town back in the 1800s. So, I guess you could say I hunt yards after all.:grin:

BTV Digger
10-16-2015, 07:40 PM
Great set of finds, especially the shield nickel. Congrats. Man, that's a whole lotta deep knee bending in that yard. Must have had many children or loads of picnics in the past!

John

fyrffytr1
10-16-2015, 10:09 PM
Great set of finds, especially the shield nickel. Congrats. Man, that's a whole lotta deep knee bending in that yard. Must have had many children or loads of picnics in the past!

John
This yard is located right on the main North-South route through town. This town was formed in the 1870s when the former county seat court house a few miles north burned to the ground. Before it was formed there was only a rail station and it is still there but all the surrounding ground is covered with cement or macadam. We have permission to hunt two more yards so hopefully,
I will have some more finds to share with Y'all soon. I'm taking my car to a show tomorrow but we may hunt some Sunday.