PDA

View Full Version : Brand new to the hobby

walnetto
10-12-2015, 12:32 AM
New to the hobby and after 4 weeks of looking I found a buffalo nickle dated 1917. I found it in the foundation of a dance hall in a ghost town not far from where I live. I also came across some heavy glass bottles, all broken, that seemed to set off the detector. Is it because the glass has lead in it?
Also have a huge collection of rusty cans, nails, and an old flyswatter.

Digger_O'Dell
10-12-2015, 01:17 AM
Welcome to the hobby from Wisconsin! Congrats on the buffalo-not too common to find one that still has a date. I'll bet there will be a lot more to find in that area too! As for the glass, I couldn't say. I never heard of bottles using leaded glass, but even so I don't think it would be enough to trigger the detector. But one possibility is blue glass that may contain cobalt which is radioactive-that may be enough to trigger a signal.

walnetto
10-12-2015, 01:25 AM
Thanks. Is there anyone out here in Montana besides me doing any dirt digging? Been looking for a club here in Billings and so far no joy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

del
10-12-2015, 03:05 AM
Hello walnetto , welcome to the forum !! Unfortunately there are not to many detecting clubs in Montana but there is this treasure hunting club http://bthpc.com/

and Montana Treasure seekers out of Helena

Mountaindigger
10-12-2015, 08:00 AM
Welcome to the forum, it is very interesting and educational.

Skamaniac
10-12-2015, 08:38 AM
Welcome from Washington state. I've got good friends in Billings; I love that area. I hope to make it out that way again in the next couple of years. Good luck with your hunting; there's probably some great locations around there. Sounds like you're off to a good start.

GA1dad
10-12-2015, 10:09 AM
Welcome to AD!! Congrats on the buffalo,, took me two years to find my first one. You're off to a good start!!

OxShoeDrew
10-12-2015, 11:34 AM
I'm glad you found us and congrats on the buff! I hope you find some other detectorists in your area. :thumbsup01:

Fire Fighter 43
10-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Welcome to the forum and hobby form SE Wisconsin. Congrats on your first Buffalo and good luck with your future hunts.

walnetto
10-13-2015, 02:20 AM
Thanks, I'm going out Friday to the site, there's a foundation to an old dancehall that's very inviting. It's next to an old church. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digger_O'Dell
10-13-2015, 03:00 AM
My suggestion is to take time to set your machine up with optimal settings for the conditions. Don't be afraid to try new things or experiment with the machine to see what works best for you. Have confidence! Be patient-take your time and go slow, and then detect the heck out of the place!!
:detecting: GL and HH!

aloldstuff
10-14-2015, 05:13 AM
Welcome from western MA. :congrats:on the Buff and get used to the other "stuff", we all have plenty of that. Hope you can meet up with some other detectorists in your area. I would hit the church grounds real hard.

What detector are you using?

walnetto
10-14-2015, 02:38 PM
ACE 250, and a Pro Pointer. Learning to pinpoint is easy, just have to be patient. The ground is highly alkaline, and when wet is like gumbo. Nice part about the site is that I have a cadastral map and the owner of the property has made an overlay of where the homes and the school and the church were located. Got an old grain elevator foundation there too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk