PDA

View Full Version : May soon have a CTX-3030 and have questions

Digger_O'Dell
10-12-2015, 06:33 PM
Hi all,
I found an ad for a used CTX 3030 that not only looks to be an awesome deal, but it also local so I should be able to check it out before buying. So I do have a few questions about what to look for and general information.

1) How long was the original warranty on the CTX? Seller says there is still a year left on it, so that way I can figure out how old it is.
2) What was the evolution of the CTX. The new ones on the market feature FBS2-was this always part of the CTX, or were there earlier versions?
3) What are some of the things to look for that may go bad or be easily damaged on the CTX?
4) Overall, what should I look for as any operational issues? Are there any self diagnostics or internal check routine that can be done?

From the ad, it sounds like the guy has not used it much. When he did it was mostly fresh water and a little land use. The asking price is only $1375 shipped, so can likely knock more off the price as a local pick up. So at that price I worry there may be something wrong-or maybe it's just a really good deal? Or am I mistaken?

Thanks for any replies!

Fire Fighter 43
10-12-2015, 10:05 PM
The original warranty was 3 years. They have only been out since May of 2012 so there are no old versions.
There was one update to the software that is available on Minelab website if it is not up to date. If it is only 2 years old I would say it has the newest version.
They are pretty well built and I've worked mine pretty hard with nothing wearing out or going bad. Just look for any unusual wear or damage. There has been some water leak issues with the stock O rings, so take the battery off and look for corrosion. The other leak area is the USB port so also take that cover off and inspect it. Andy Sabisch sells a kit with updated battery O ring and a O ring for the USB port.
As far as operation I would just start it up and do some air test to check it out.
Lastly, Minelab has had problems with counterfeit machines, so I would ask where he bought it and does he still have the receipt. If it wasn't bought from a reparable dealer or if it was bought off EBay I would be cautious.
If you do get it, I would suggest purchasing Andy Sabisch's new book The CTX 3030 handbook.
Good luck and let me know if you have anymore questions.

Digger_O'Dell
10-12-2015, 10:50 PM
Thanks a lot for the info! According to the owner, he has it registered and warranty is good until 9/16. He also has all the paperwork, original boxes, etc. so I will verify origin. He also states it has never had leakage, but it does come with new O-rings too. One more plus is the Grey Ghost underwater headphones are included, plus 2 Gary Drayton CTX books and more unidentified "extras"

Just spent 2 hours reading through the manual I downloaded from Minelab, and only half way through! So I can only imagine the depth Andy's book goes into. Luckily I already am familiar with how Minelab does it's menu systems and runs their controls, so I'm a bit ahead on the basics. Still, it's going to be a really steep learning curve!

Cheap Thrills
10-12-2015, 11:58 PM
You will do fine .:yes:

Digger_O'Dell
10-13-2015, 12:27 AM
You will do fine .:yes:

Thanks a lot CT! A little nervous about the learning curve-it's a LOT to take in! But I figure if I can keep a $100 million plant running, the CTX should be a breeze! :lol:

del
10-13-2015, 05:55 AM
Never used a ctx but have hunted around one for a while , its a very capable and impressive machine and there are not to many that are better in a park like setting for deep silver . Good luck

chief5709
10-13-2015, 07:21 AM
Yup, I concur with FF43. Sounds like a great deal. I would assume he is just trying to unload it.

Fire Fighter 43
10-13-2015, 07:25 AM
Including the Grey Ghost and other extras I would say that is a great deal. Good luck and let me know if you need any help with it.

Digger_O'Dell
10-13-2015, 06:36 PM
Including the Grey Ghost and other extras I would say that is a great deal. Good luck and let me know if you need any help with it.

Thanks much! As a recent graduate of Boot Camp and with countless hours of experience, I know your help and advice will be greatly valued.

I did read the manual through a couple times, plus watched several hours of youtube instructional videos. so think I got a pretty good grasp of the theory. I just have to really get out and spend a little time to really learn it well like I did with the X-Terra, which enabled me to pick it up very quickly.

Digger_O'Dell
10-13-2015, 09:07 PM
Got a few things verified. The machine was bought from Bart at Big Boys Hobbies, so not a knockoff. It's for sale because for one it is too heavy and the owner has shoulder issues using it. Secondly he doesn't like how it handles in water, and lastly it is too complicated for him as getting into programming and such so he bought a Deus recently and doesn't need the CTX.

The Grey Ghost headphones were not included in the price reduction but I will get them for $50. I will also have the option of a long handle stainless sand scoop at a great price, which may be nice to have. If all goes as planned, I will be picking it up Thursday afternoon on my way into work!

ODA 226
10-14-2015, 07:04 AM
It's for sale because for one it is too heavy...

I does weigh 5.2 pounds BUT.....it's so perfectly balanced, it feels like it weighs LESS than an AT Pro! I moved from the AT Pro to the CTX 3030 about 3 months ago and my arm hasn't hurt AT ALL compared to the AT Pro!

Digger_O'Dell
10-15-2015, 06:27 PM
Hi All,
Well, it's official-I'm the new owner of a CTX!!!

I spent the past couple days reading the manual and watching instructional videos, but didn't know if I would really learn much until I got the machine in hand. Apparently I learned a lot more than I thought. The guy I bought it from kept trying to show me how to use the menus and such, but kept getting lost or couldn't remember how to find certain features and I actually instructed him-go figure!

Can't wait to try it out in the morning on my way home!

ODA 226
10-16-2015, 04:00 AM
You're gonna love it!

Digger_O'Dell
10-16-2015, 04:22 AM
I does weigh 5.2 pounds BUT.....it's so perfectly balanced, it feels like it weighs LESS than an AT Pro! I moved from the AT Pro to the CTX 3030 about 3 months ago and my arm hasn't hurt AT ALL compared to the AT Pro!

My X-Terra is a pretty light machine at 2.9 pounds, but even so my back and arm hurt after a while. I was a little worried about the CTX being 2 pounds heavier, but once I picked it up it felt like a feather compared to the lighter machine. I got to swing it for a little while and it felt effortless, so I know I can swing this thing for 12 plus hours with no problem. That was the deal maker since I was already sold on it's proven capabilities. Now all I need to do is become proficient with it to get the maximum performance and get those goodies everyone else missed. I am definitely planning on doing the happy dance quite often here!!
:yahoo::happy::happydance01:

chief5709
10-16-2015, 04:36 AM
Congrats! It's a great machine

Digger_O'Dell
10-16-2015, 05:14 AM
Thanks Chief!