PDA

View Full Version : Finally a copper and its my third CT of the year!

RIdirtdigger
10-19-2015, 09:29 AM
It's been a rough going the past month and a half and its changed the way I think and operate as a detectorist. I began to doubt myself and grow jealous of others. I've changed my ways and I think it finally paid off yesterday. I went with my dad to a cellar hole on private land that my dad discovered while doing surveying for the owner. The owner gave the go ahead and I had high hopes for this site. Well... it was honestly one of the worst cellar holes I've ever been too. Targets everywhere, literally everywhere I stepped, mid tones, high tones, iron... I dug a shotgun shell, and another and another and a .22, basically all ammunition related. I'm pretty sure the whole entire area was used as a shooting gallery in the mid 1900's. Did manage to score a 1935 wheat penny and a 1959 memorial. :wow:. We left the cellar hole and did some errands, and then we decided to hit a cellar hole I've done well at in past cause we were literally a minute down the road. This is the cellar hole I found a braided hair large cent and an indian head in the same hole back in the early summer. I only had 30-40 minutes so I wanted to make the most of it. After digging a cuff button I got the classic high tone of a copper I have been so waiting to hear. I was so excited digging the plug that it kept shutting on me, and I had to keep on opening up again. I was right about it being a copper, and I was happy for copper #15 to be my third CT copper of the year :lol:. I was so happy that my "curse" had been broken. A few minutes later I scored half to a colonial shoe buckle frame. Had to get going soon after that. But I have to say, I'm back in business. Happy hunting everyone!

del
10-19-2015, 02:05 PM
Jim , slumps are going to happen from time to time . they are what make the great days great . congrats on the Connecticut and keep positive thoughts my friend !!

Dan

Digger Don
10-19-2015, 04:13 PM
Congrats on the Copper. I would give anything to find a coin that old. Great Job!!

Cheap Thrills
10-19-2015, 04:36 PM
Congrats on getting " back in business " .

Digger_O'Dell
10-19-2015, 07:04 PM
Congrats, and glad to have you back on the finding end of things!

OxShoeDrew
10-19-2015, 07:51 PM
I think I see 1787 no? Nicely done Jim!:happydance02:

Lodge Scent
10-19-2015, 09:40 PM
Nice save on the CT! I like the buckle frame too.

HEAVYMETALNUT
10-19-2015, 10:30 PM
very nice to see ya get a copper & break the slump.seems like all the ornate or pretty buckles are always busted

RIdirtdigger
10-20-2015, 06:00 AM
I think I see 1787 no? Nicely done Jim!:happydance02:
Thanks! Yeah I think it's 1787 as well.

RIdirtdigger
10-20-2015, 06:02 AM
very nice to see ya get a copper & break the slump.seems like all the ornate or pretty buckles are always busted
Thanks Dave! Yeah I agree about the buckles. Some of my most ornate frame fragments are just that... Fragments lol. Seems the complete ones are plain or less ornate. I don't have any idea why.

RIdirtdigger
10-20-2015, 06:04 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments :)

MangoAve
10-20-2015, 07:07 AM
Good for you getting out of the slump. I can def see 178X but can't make out the last digit to confirm 1787 like Drew said. Even zooming in. the '87 year is most common and most varieties so we can just go with it anyway although there are only 4 possible dates.

Yeah I agree about the buckles. Some of my most ornate frame fragments are just that... Fragments lol. Seems the complete ones are plain or less ornate. I don't have any idea why.

Some of the recovered ornate buckles looked thick, but a lot of them are thin. That's prob the reason. The everyday plain Jane buckles were designed thicker are utilitarian. Since a fair amount of buckles, in general, are recovered, people prob forgot they were wearing Sunday's best and broke them (accidentally of course) doing an arduous task for which they should have been wearing their regular clothes.

Bucknut
10-21-2015, 08:33 AM
Nice slump busting copper! The frame is cool too!

Isaac
10-21-2015, 05:34 PM
Congrats on the finds!!! Love shoe buckle half!

BTV Digger
10-23-2015, 04:55 PM
Metal detecting is like fishing (which I love as well). You have good days, and you have bad days. Life is short so enjoy every minute Jim! A third CT Copper of the year? Never found one.

John

The Rebel
10-27-2015, 11:44 AM
WTG on the CT! Love them!