PDA

View Full Version : Seated Half dime

del
10-20-2015, 03:27 PM
Yesterday I had the privilege to finally meet and detect with our very own Ill digger (Tim) , he made the long 15 plus hour drive from Illinois to do some colonial cellar detecting . It was only for a few hours and I took him to a site I had never been to before and sometimes its a "crapshoot" and unfortunately this site was hit pretty hard :bangahead02:. I did manage to coax an older pewter button , an iron spoon , a huge oxknob and this little beauty :grin: Tim it was fun to hear and see your reaction once i found and pulled the tiny coin from the dirt :yes:

Bucknut
10-20-2015, 03:46 PM
wow that one has some sweet details! Congrats!

del
10-20-2015, 04:02 PM
wow that one has some sweet details! Congrats!

Thanks Bucknut , Fall is one of the best times to detect out this way

Lodge Scent
10-20-2015, 04:23 PM
That is a nice looking silver Dan. :congrats: How come no ox knob pic ?

OxShoeDrew
10-20-2015, 04:59 PM
How come no ox knob pic ?Yeah!!:lol: Was it a round show knob? Color patina?:lol: Huge?!! What a tease!
Sweet silver Dan!

Digger Don
10-20-2015, 06:27 PM
Wow, That Seated is gorgeous!!:envious:
Glad you were able to get a hunt in with Tim.
He's a fun guy to hunt with.

Digger_O'Dell
10-20-2015, 08:05 PM
That is one beautiful coin-looks good as new! :perfect10:

del
10-22-2015, 03:44 PM
That is a nice looking silver Dan. :congrats: How come no ox knob pic ?

Yeah!!:lol: Was it a round show knob? Color patina?:lol: Huge?!! What a tease!
Sweet silver Dan!

ok you two trouble makers here is the large knob i found on Monday and the one i got on Wednesday :teasing:

del
10-22-2015, 03:47 PM
Wow, That Seated is gorgeous!!:envious:
Glad you were able to get a hunt in with Tim.
He's a fun guy to hunt with.

So was I Don , hunting with staff is a "bucket lister" for me . Tim is a great guy and Hope he had a good time up this way . Thanks

That is one beautiful coin-looks good as new! :perfect10:

Thanks DOD , i was surprised at how much detail it still has .

Fire Fighter 43
10-22-2015, 08:38 PM
WTG Del, Tim sent me that text right away, I think he was more excited than you. Hopefully I can make the trip with Tim next time. Congrats

Lodge Scent
10-23-2015, 07:18 AM
That large ox knob is nice! I don't have any like that. Ox knobs deserve more respect than what we give them.

MangoAve
10-23-2015, 07:58 AM
Apparently I can see these pics and yet I didn't comment. Wth is wrong with me? (THAT WAS RHETORICAL :teasing:). That was a nice find and it was great to see in person too. Congrats on pulling it up and with such great detail. I wonder if you knew it was silver vs a copper. I question because you thought you had a copper on Wed until you dug down and then questioned it being a buckle. Obvi with the three washers I pulled up, I know how to determine target sizes, but I dig the bigger stuff due to being non-ferrous and to alleviate any nearby masking. You've been detecting a lot longer and I am sure you knew target sizes... but maybe even better knowledge of a LC copper vs a really small half dime.

So was I Don , hunting with staff is a "bucket lister" for me.

Do you realize what you've done? Now you are gonna get requests to become staff. Lol.

Tony Two-Cent
10-23-2015, 08:02 AM
The detail on that Half Dime is incredible, Dan! What a beautiful little coin! :loveit:

:congrats:

tanacat
10-23-2015, 08:06 AM
Awesome find! I can hear Tim now lol I love his enthusiasm :) So great to hear that you two finally met in person! Tim and I have hunted together- we met at Boy Scout Camp group hunt in Ohio years ago. Anyway, glad you had nice hunt and found some good stuff, miss you both. I need to get on AD more often!

Tony Two-Cent
10-23-2015, 08:11 AM
Awesome find! I can hear Tim now lol I love his enthusiasm :) So great to hear that you two finally met in person! Tim and I have hunted together- we met at Boy Scout Camp group hunt in Ohio years ago. Anyway, glad you had nice hunt and found some good stuff, miss you both. I need to get on AD more often!

We miss you too, Tana! Great to see a post from you! :yes:

del
10-23-2015, 09:41 AM
WTG Del, Tim sent me that text right away, I think he was more excited than you. Hopefully I can make the trip with Tim next time. Congrats

I sure would like to see you out here Jeff :detecting: :yes: , thanks

That large ox knob is nice! I don't have any like that. Ox knobs deserve more respect than what we give them.

Its hard to give them respect when they keep teasing me into thinking they are copper and silver coins Jeff :lol: .

Apparently I can see these pics and yet I didn't comment. Wth is wrong with me? (THAT WAS RHETORICAL :teasing:). That was a nice find and it was great to see in person too. Congrats on pulling it up and with such great detail. I wonder if you knew it was silver vs a copper. I question because you thought you had a copper on Wed until you dug down and then questioned it being a buckle. Obvi with the three washers I pulled up, I know how to determine target sizes, but I dig the bigger stuff due to being non-ferrous and to alleviate any nearby masking. You've been detecting a lot longer and I am sure you knew target sizes... but maybe even better knowledge of a LC copper vs a really small half dime.

Jim the half dime was a bit "jumpy" on the vdi numbers but the tone said coin all the way , i do have a way to check the size of a target but deep shoe buckles mimic a large cent in almost every respect except they are alway deeper then what the machine tells you. thanks

The detail on that Half Dime is incredible, Dan! What a beautiful little coin! :loveit:

:congrats:

Thank you Tony , I hope you also can make it out here sometime soon .

Tana ??:shocked05: you know Tim mentioned your first hunt together on our first drive to a site and we certainly discussed how we missed you here Tana :yes:

The Rebel
10-23-2015, 12:15 PM
WTG on the 1/2 Dime Dan!

BTV Digger
10-23-2015, 05:16 PM
Awesome find Dan and it cleaned up great! Love those seated's with the arrowed dates. You've been on a roll almost as great as Drew this year!

John

Ill Digger
10-24-2015, 04:31 PM
Tim sent me that text right away, I think he was more excited than you.
I don't know if it was the same type of excitement ? Mine was more like.....:envious:

And Dan's was more like this.....:cheesysmile:
See.....http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/2015/CAM00377_zpskqo0qde6.jpg (http://s766.photobucket.com/user/IllDigger/media/2015/CAM00377_zpskqo0qde6.jpg.html)

Sweet find Dan!!!:cool:
Congrats!!! :grin:

OxShoeDrew
10-24-2015, 04:45 PM
That one on the right is definitely a show knob! When are you going to clean it?...and buff it, ren wax! :lol:
Tana!!!! :yahoo::waving:

Cheap Thrills
10-24-2015, 09:26 PM
Congrats on that spectacular half Dime Dan !!

Bell-Two
11-06-2015, 08:36 AM
Half Dimes are such a rush a little coin that most people have never heard of!

wisconsin digger
11-29-2015, 09:57 AM
Not sure how I missed this post. That coin is fantastic. As small as they are it makes sense that the ones that are found are in pretty nice shape, but that was is especially nice. Great find WD